Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ftk said:
10 minutes ago, Callum Paterson said:
Does anyone know what happens if all the Group A teams qualify automatically? Who gets the 4 group A spots in the playoffs?

Should be the 4 runners up in group A I think.

But they'd have already qualified. Apart from Iceland and Poland. It's quite likely that all Group A teams qualify so who get's the final 2 playoff spots. Is it Bosnia who are the best group B team cause that seems a bit unfair?

5 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

If fewer than four teams in the entire league remain unqualified, play-off spots for that league are given to teams of the next lower league.

So does that mean that Bosnia, the best group B team, may have to play France for example in a playoff if France and Bosnia don't qualify automatically cause that seems a bit unfair?

Just watched the goals. Outstanding from Forrest again. Two Israel goals it looked like we should have closed them down, not sure what was going on there.

Still reckon we will struggle to take on bigger teams but this is a massive step forward. Good football and eleven players who try hard.

2 minutes ago, Callum Paterson said:

But they'd have already qualified. Apart from Iceland and Poland. It's quite likely that all Group A teams qualify so who get's the final 2 playoff spots. Is it Bosnia who are the best group B team cause that seems a bit unfair?

The playoff selection starts in D and works up to A. Say one of the C winners qualifies automatically, the place goes to the next best team in C. If the top 8 in B qualify, the places would go to the remaining 4 in B. If most of A qualify but 1 doesn't, the one non-qualifier will take the playoff spot along with the next best teams, which would be the 3 other second place teams in C, as in this scenario there would be no-one left in B to take up a spot.

It should be remembered that Finland, Norway, Serbia and indeed ourselves may be replaced in the play offs by the next down the pecking order in each group if any of us manage to succeed in the qualifiers.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Serbia qualify straight up TBH if we don’t.

We are definitely at home in the semi if we’re in it.

That much is guaranteed.

Edit - Already covered a few times I see.

Made the mistake of typing this when a few pages short of the end.

So if we don’t qualify in the proper league qualifiers we play someone else who is also in the same position as us? 

i.e. Not relegated or won their international league.

So potentially we could be playing someone ranked below us if all the top teams qualify automatically?

Do we just play one game?

4 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

It should be remembered that Finland, Norway, Serbia and indeed ourselves may be replaced in the play offs by the next down the pecking order in each group if any of us manage to succeed in the qualifiers.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Serbia qualify straight up TBH if we don’t.

We are definitely at home in the semi if we’re in it.

That much is guaranteed.

Yeah, Romania had a good group campaign but they don't look to be as scary as Serbia. 

A stat stolen from the BBC:
"Ryan Fraser has been directly involved in 15 goals in 17 appearances for club and country combined in 2018-19."
He's also the top assister in the Premier League and Sky recently showed a stat of him being alongside world class talent in terms of top five chances created in the league.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

So if we don’t qualify in the proper league qualifiers we play someone else who is also in the same position as us? 

So potentially we could be playing someone ranked below us if all the top teams qualify automatically?

We will play one of the League C winners or below in a 1 leg semi final and another in a 1 leg final.

9 minutes ago, Callum Paterson said:

So does that mean that Bosnia, the best group B team, may have to play France for example in a playoff if France and Bosnia don't qualify automatically cause that seems a bit unfair?

Coooombe gave a good answer, but just to answer the question directly in case it's not obvious:

Group winners never cascade up to a tougher set of play-offs. If there's not enough in a League to make up the four spots, they reach into the second-placed teams in the next league down. So a team that finished second in a group might get a second chance at a play off because those above have all qualified, but they'll get a tougher play-off than if they'd won their group.

However...

I think that if all the League A teams qualify, you would have four lower-finishers than the play-offs for the League below!

We will be at Hampden against Finland or someone with a Nations League finish ranked below theirs in a one off semi.

The final is also one leg but a draw will decide whether it’s home or away.

11 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

The playoff selection starts in D and works up to A. Say one of the C winners qualifies automatically, the place goes to the next best team in C. If the top 8 in B qualify, the places would go to the remaining 4 in B. If most of A qualify but 1 doesn't, the one non-qualifier will take the playoff spot along with the next best teams, which would be the 3 other second place teams in C, as in this scenario there would be no-one left in B to take up a spot.

Thanks. I think I get it now. Seems a bit unfair that relegated teams from Group B would still get in the playoffs but I won't argue with something that means we're more likely to qualify for a major tournament.

Archived