Alloa v Queens

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Wasperoonie said:
11 hours ago, Fae_the_ said:
I thought we actually set up the wall with another body in it but they moved to mark somebody else before the kick was taken. Martin still had time to rearrange the wall and get himself positioned.   Cant help but feel if it had been Lee Robinson conceding that goal he would have been blamed. Martin was too central.

Agreed. Also the height the ball crossed the line was ideal for a keeper.

The reason why Flannigan's free kick resulted in a goal wasn't really Martin's fault. The ball was at head height (at best) when it moved past the wall. Every keeper looks above the wall when the free kick is just outside the box. Therefore he saw it very late and the velocity of the kick was too much to reclaim the ground. Somtimes yhou have to hold up your  hands to a quality strike.

9 hours ago, Gold and Black said:

The reason why Flannigan's free kick resulted in a goal wasn't really Martin's fault. The ball was at head height (at best) when it moved past the wall. Every keeper looks above the wall when the free kick is just outside the box. Therefore he saw it very late and the velocity of the kick was too much to reclaim the ground. Somtimes yhou have to hold up your  hands to a quality strike.

It was a well struck and well placed free kick,  no-one's disputing that,  but as was said in an earlier post there should have maybe been another defender in the wall to make it harder for the scorer to bend the ball around. From my position it also looked like Martin was a bit too central and didn't have a view of the ball. He got across but not far enough obviously as the ball went past him at about shoulder height.

We only have 2 forwards.  If we`re minus 2 in January and Dobbie remains that`ll be a clever trick.

That’s us half way to the minus 2......If Lyndon gets his big move in the next transfer window then we’ll only be left with Dobbie up front.
Chances are Queen Vic will move too......every cloud and all that!

That’s us half way to the minus 2......If Lyndon gets his big move in the next transfer window then we’ll only be left with Dobbie up front.
Chances are Queen Vic will move too......every cloud and all that!

Still see her car parked at the Arena on a regular basis. What’s the script there ? Has she still some involvement with Queens or does she work for one of Billy’s companies?

Big Move he is nothing special really seen him several times this season 

Disagree

I’ve seen him twice this season and he’s one of the only opposition players I’d have at Ayr. Doesn’t necessarily score a lot of goals but he’s a good footballer and Dobbie benefits a lot from playing with him.

McCall even admitted himself he battered us in the 5-0 game despite not scoring.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Disagree

I’ve seen him twice this season and he’s one of the only opposition players I’d have at Ayr. Doesn’t necessarily score a lot of goals but he’s a good footballer and Dobbie benefits a lot from playing with him.

McCall even admitted himself he battered us in the 5-0 game despite not scoring.

This. He absolutely bossed Ayr that day. He doesn`t score enough to be a really top striker but he must be great to play alongside as a goalscoring striker.  We`ll be significantly weaker if/when he does leave.

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

This. He absolutely bossed Ayr that day. He doesn`t score enough to be a really top striker but he must be great to play alongside as a goalscoring striker.  We`ll be significantly weaker if/when he does leave.

I comparison he Couldn't lace Sean O'connors boots.. Feed the beast.. 

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

I comparison he Couldn't lace Sean O'connors boots.. Feed the beast.. 

No issue with that. Big Sean was a fabulous player for us. Oh to have him and Dobbie up front now. Dykes is a very decent player though and IMHO we`ll miss him when he moves on. He`s not a patch on big Sean at his best though.

I actually couldn’t work out that day between Dobbie and Dykes who was playing as the striker and who was dropping off to receive the ball as it was so interchangeable. I’d say that was the main reason the defence struggled that do as they weren’t sure who was going to move where.

I’m not saying he’d be a replacement for Shankland when he goes as we’re never in a million years going to replace a guy who’s scored 57 in 57 but it wouldn’t surprise me if McCall tried to get him and someone else who could play off him when the main man inevitably departs. If he added 15 goals a season to his game (easier said than done) then he’d be top class.

Archived