January transfer window

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why would Bournemouth pay his salary for 18 months?

Because they're contractually obliged to?  Rangers will be paying a proportion of it I'd imagine, but Bournemouth will still be shouldering the majority.

1 minute ago, Estragon said:

Because they're contractually obliged to?  Rangers will be paying a proportion of it I'd imagine, but Bournemouth will still be shouldering the majority.

Why would Bournemouth, who are short on strikers, be paying the majority of a £75k a week wage, for a striker who won't even be at their club?

8 minutes ago, Estragon said:

What I meant by that was "Why would Bournemouth agree to a deal where they had to continue to pay a large chunk of his salary for 18 months whilst he played at another club?". What would be in that for them?

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What I meant by that was "Why would Bournemouth agree to a deal where they had to continue to pay a large chunk of his salary for 18 months whilst he played at another club?". What would be in that for them?

Yea, I guess the question is whether they have any hope of punting him elsewhere? If not, then i get it. I don't buy that he might make some meaningful contribution for Bournemouth.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would Bournemouth, who are short on strikers, be paying the majority of a £75k a week wage, for a striker who won't even be at their club?

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd imagine they're viewing that money - if it is £75k/wk or whatever - as a sunk cost.

They've agreed he's no role on the footballing side, and costed all potential contingencies.  So, one would imagine, a lump sum payoff which the player has no obligation to accept, followed by estimating his value in the transfer/loan market, deciding this is the best deal available to them.  It'll be done in the same way that a bad debtor might be offered a settlement discount - they're mitigating as far as possible the £6m they're guaranteed to lose over the next 18 months.

I'm surprised it's been this early in the window, but there's absolutely no chance that Rangers are paying the kind of figures quoted.

ETA - also, there's the advertising aspect of it.  Essentially Defoe has the rest of this season to rip up our league and convince some dopey chairman in England to match Bournemouth's wages - or get close enough to it that Bournemouth will pay off the remainder of his contract to get him off the books.

21 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I'd imagine they're viewing that money - if it is £75k/wk or whatever - as a sunk cost.

They've agreed he's no role on the footballing side, and costed all potential contingencies.  So, one would imagine, a lump sum payoff which the player has no obligation to accept, followed by estimating his value in the transfer/loan market, deciding this is the best deal available to them.  It'll be done in the same way that a bad debtor might be offered a settlement discount - they're mitigating as far as possible the £6m they're guaranteed to lose over the next 18 months.

I'm surprised it's been this early in the window, but there's absolutely no chance that Rangers are paying the kind of figures quoted.

ETA - also, there's the advertising aspect of it.  Essentially Defoe has the rest of this season to rip up our league and convince some dopey chairman in England to match Bournemouth's wages - or get close enough to it that Bournemouth will pay off the remainder of his contract to get him off the books.

I can see your reasoning but we aren't talking about a 26 year old with a bunch of years at a high level still in him.  He is 36 and will be 37 in October '19.  By the time his 18 month contract is done he will be done and nearer to 38.  No one will match his current Bournemouth contract.

17 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I can see your reasoning but we aren't talking about a 26 year old with a bunch of years at a high level still in him.  He is 36 and will be 37 in October '19.  By the time his 18 month contract is done he will be done and nearer to 38.  No one will match his current Bournemouth contract.

Probably not, but let's say he comes up here and scores 15 goals in half a season.  A championship club, or maybe Sunderland offer him a decent proportion of the money he's on at Bournemouth - they then have the starting point to negotiate a settlement based on the difference between his wage at Bournemouth, and his wage at the offering club.  If someone's offering him a 2 year deal, then that might even do away with a settlement altogether.

Ultimately, if he's still at Ibrox in August then it hasn't made commercial sense for Bournemouth other than any incremental reduction of expenses  - but if they do nothing, and let him warm the bench or sit in the stands, then that's a guaranteed loss.  Bournemouth are essentially in a situation for which they now need to look for the "least worst option."

I know there's a lot of commercial hypothesising in my rationale, but it's considerably more believable than the idea that Rangers have just pulled £6m out their arses.

3 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Probably not, but let's say he comes up here and scores 15 goals in half a season.  A championship club, or maybe Sunderland offer him a decent proportion of the money he's on at Bournemouth - they then have the starting point to negotiate a settlement based on the difference between his wage at Bournemouth, and his wage at the offering club.  If someone's offering him a 2 year deal, then that might even do away with a settlement altogether.

Ultimately, if he's still at Ibrox in August then it hasn't made commercial sense for Bournemouth other than any incremental reduction of expenses  - but if they do nothing, and let him warm the bench or sit in the stands, then that's a guaranteed loss.  Bournemouth are essentially in a situation for which they now need to look for the "least worst option."

I know there's a lot of commercial hypothesising in my rationale, but it's considerably more believable than the idea that Rangers have just pulled £6m out their arses.

Was with you until this bit.

25 minutes ago, Estragon said:

So you think Rangers are paying the guy his full wage at Bournemouth?

Of course not.  Don't think ANYONE has even remotely suggested that.

Was disagreeing with the principle that Rangers wouldn't increase their debt, potentially substantially, for the chance of short term success.

They may be a new club, but they still follow the ways of their predecessor.

By all accounts, Defoe keeps himself incredibly fit so that shouldn't be an issue. In any case, a goalscorer will always be a goalscorer, regardless of fitness (see Kris Boyd). However, the on us is going to be on guys like Kent & Candeias to give him the supply. If he gets it, I think he'll easily get into double figures before the end of the season. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Of course not.  Don't think ANYONE has even remotely suggested that.

Was disagreeing with the principle that Rangers wouldn't increase their debt, potentially substantially, for the chance of short term success.

They may be a new club, but they still follow the ways of their predecessor.

Not sure what you mean here tbh.

12 hours ago, alta-pete said:

The proof on the effectiveness (or otherwise) of Defoe and Davis will follow in the next 5 months or so.

Already though the amount of column inches, the traffic through here, the interest from non-Rangers fans and general knicker wetting about how much of an apparently expensive pair of has-beens they might be is, I think, a good thing for our game. Whichever way it pans out.

Me? I’m thinking the future looks bright....

Image result for joey barton rangers

Image result for joey barton rangers

1 minute ago, Estragon said:

Not sure what you mean here tbh.

Sorry, but have re-read it and can't see how I could make it any clearer.

Thankfully it's just a football forum, and we're not even discussing our own clubs, so I'm sure I'll survive not being understood and you'll survive not knowing what I meant.

Archived