January transfer window

We need some major changes - Rose and Bowman already away, I'd imagine there might be others. And this picture has got 'Well fans attentions after what seemed like a mile-oot rumour of one of our former players coming back:

DvmZ4NmX4AAdODr.jpg&key=1f38cd9b939199bf

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Groin issues. 

Read that the first operation he had was botched though and set him back further and this is now corrected. 

Anyone we get in January will be a gamble to some degree. Teams don't let their best players leave in January for nothing. 

Given his injury history the fact he has played 3 games in 2018 would stay well clear. Given our league position we need tried and tested players  for that reason I can't see any truth in this rumour. 

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

Given his injury history the fact he has played 3 games in 2018 would stay well clear. Given our league position we need tried and tested players  for that reason I can't see any truth in this rumour. 

Tried and tested is at an absolute premium in January. Most of our signings will come with some sort of caveat

No he’s fine, really. He’s absolutely fine.

He’s honestly fine. REALLY.

A left-back, defensive midfielder, 10, winger or two, and striker or two.
We'll probably sign four or five, including a striker and a centre-back.
Bingham, Brustad, Kelly, Monlouis and Tshiembe won't last the season.

With Scougall being told he can find another club, and Nydham returning to Ipswich, cover in centre midfield might come in, depending if both Kyle McLean and Ali McCann go out on loan, or one is kept as cover.

Definitely would like to see a wide player with pace with Drey Wright out for the rest of the season.

If you're in a relegation dogfight, good luck signing Tansey.  

He's brilliant when the team are playing well and winning (see ICT from 2013-15) but when the team hits a bad patch (see ICT 2016-2018) he hides.   Pretty much dialed it in too when he signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen in January 2017.

And yep, he basically been injured for over a year.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

If you're in a relegation dogfight, good luck signing Tansey.  

He's brilliant when the team are playing well and winning (see ICT from 2013-15) but when the team hits a bad patch (see ICT 2016-2018) he hides.   Pretty much dialed it in too when he signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen in January 2017.

And yep, he basically been injured for over a year.

Right you, that's quite enough.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Defoe on way to Rangers

18 month loan deal apparently. 

Could be a title winning transfer, if he's still the player he was before the Bournemouth move, no real idea how he's played in his few appearances there.

Can't help but feel Rangers are chucking a lot of money at him and Davis to try and win the league this year, with no real thoughts about what's going to happen further down the line. 

18 month loan deal apparently. 
Could be a title winning transfer, if he's still the player he was before the Bournemouth move, no real idea how he's played in his few appearances there.
Can't help but feel Rangers are chucking a lot of money at him and Davis to try and win the league this year, with no real thoughts about what's going to happen further down the line. 
Desperation to stop 10 in a row.

Allegedly spending money they don't have - again.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Desperation to stop 10 in a row.

Allegedly spending money they don't have - again.

Yeah, I can't see how they can afford to pay Davis and Defoe anything close to what they've been earning tbh, even Celtic would struggle.

Don’t know what he’s currently on but I think I’ve read Davis is taking a substantial pay cut to £12k/week. (Still ridiculous money for our league right enough).

And Defoe is having the bulk of his reputed £65k/week covered by Bournemouth. The recall clauses that have been reported seem to paint it as a win/win. He comes here, gets fit and if Bournemouth need him back either for next season or next January, he’s box fresh and ready to go.

(After he’s won us #55, obvs)

15 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Don’t know what he’s currently on but I think I’ve read Davis is taking a substantial pay cut to £12k/week. (Still ridiculous money for our league right enough).

And Defoe is having the bulk of his reputed £65k/week covered by Bournemouth. The recall clauses that have been reported seem to paint it as a win/win. He comes here, gets fit and if Bournemouth need him back either for next season or next January, he’s box fresh and ready to go.

(After he’s won us #55, obvs)

Davis wage us reported to be £60k a week. Defoe, when he signed, was reported to have become their highest earner on £75k a week.

I'd be absolutely amazed if Davis is taking a pay cut of £192k a month, especially when there were other teams interested.

I'd also be amazed if Bournemouth are loaning Defoe to Rangers, a 35yo striker, in the hope he recovers form and breaks into their team. They'll be getting his mammoth wage off their bill for 18 months.

I cant help but feel you're being gullible as f**k in your thoughts there.

Davis wage us reported to be £60k a week. Defoe, when he signed, was reported to have become their highest earner on £75k a week.
I'd be absolutely amazed if Davis is taking a pay cut of £192k a month, especially when there were other teams interested.
I'd also be amazed if Bournemouth are loaning Defoe to Rangers, a 35yo striker, in the hope he recovers form and breaks into their team. They'll be getting his mammoth wage off their bill for 18 months.
I cant help but feel you're being gullible as f**k in your thoughts there.

Don’t think it’s a case of Defoe breaking into their team, more that if Bournemouth lose whoever are their first choice strikers through whatever circumstance, they’ve got a reliable (and fit) filler-inner doing something to maintain sharpness.

Nae danger King (who I do not rate) is googly eyed daft enough to sanction his ‘mammoth wage’. I’ll stand corrected if so.

And Davis has 6 months left at your £75k/week (which I do not believe but anyhoo). 24 weeks at that, net of tax (insert your own joke here) is less than £1m net. 18 months at £12k/week is c£500k net of tax and a chance (steady now) of winning something again. Not such a gulf in his motivations I’d venture....

36 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Don’t think it’s a case of Defoe breaking into their team, more that if Bournemouth lose whoever are their first choice strikers through whatever circumstance, they’ve got a reliable (and fit) filler-inner doing something to maintain sharpness.

Nae danger King (who I do not rate) is googly eyed daft enough to sanction his ‘mammoth wage’. I’ll stand corrected if so.

And Davis has 6 months left at your £75k/week (which I do not believe but anyhoo). 24 weeks at that, net of tax (insert your own joke here) is less than £1m net. 18 months at £12k/week is c£500k net of tax and a chance (steady now) of winning something again. Not such a gulf in his motivations I’d venture....

If they wanted him to be there for cover, he's stay there, he can't be recalled between windows, so he'll be a few months shy of 37 when they have the chance to take him back. You're absolutely mental if you believe they'll be paying a chunk of his wages with the idea he'll be returning to play for them. They've gotten rid to free up the wages of an ageing player who's not contributing.

Davis was £60k a week, and reported interest from numerous Championship sides, and apparently Cardiff. He's not throwing away over half a million pounds to play for Rangers.

Complete delusion.

Any of those numbers you have thrown around is exactly what’s wrong with football...60kfor 33 year old Steve Davis!!!Ye havin a giraffe!!! As for Defoe he’s even older at 75k even 1/2 or3/4 of that is f*****g ludicrous

Archived