Completing the 42

Guest Jedi

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the ground sharing that went on over the last 25 years as clubs moved/were kicked out of old grounds I had a wee thought about seeing teams play "home" games away from home: 

I'm sure my first visit to Firhill was to see Clyde who were playing there at the time! 
I saw Meadowbank play Ayr at Tynecastle when the Commonwealth Stadium was unavailable and they also played "home" games against Hearts at Brockville and Hibs at Starks Park in the League Cup. I'm sure Berwick also played a game at Meadowbank when the roof was taken off the Shielfield Stand. I also saw Celtic play Meadowbank at Hampden in the Scottish Cup. 
I've seen Clydebank play Queen of the South at Boghead and Gretna's last ever game against Hearts at Fir Park. 
Edinburgh City have also borrowed Netherdale, City Park (which was their original ground), Pennypit, Riccarton and Ainslie Park (before moving there) on occasion. 
I've seen the Shire play at Stenhousemuir and the Falkirk Stadium and Dunbar United at the Dunbar Grammar School. 
Of clubs sharing grounds- Edinburgh City and Tollcross United at Fernieside, Edinburgh City and Spartans at Ainslie Park, Spartans and Craigroyston at City Park and Rossvale and Petershill at Petershill Park.

I’m on 33/42. It’s getting more difficult now though, I’ve been to all League One and 9/10 Championship grounds. I’ve even been to all 9 away League One grounds this season alone.

Hibs

Falkirk 

Inverness

Raith Rovers 

Forfar

Elgin 

All I've got left. When I was younger I was obsessed with the idea of doing them all but I doubt I'd make the effort to go any of the remaining grounds unless Clyde were playing. Even then, I probably won't do Elgin unless it's an important fixture. 

I've not been to Annan, Montrose or St Mirren's new one.  However, I've been at more than 42 because of ground moves.

Just short of 200 in total. I don't want to go to either of those 3 or keep an exact count, as that would make me a complete anorak.

23 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Everybody likes visiting new grounds, but some of these groundhoppers are OFTW. Especially the c***s who come up from England with their wee rucksacks and their notebooks and SLRs and train timetables, and never visit anywhere twice, and talk all the way through the game, and start greeting if they don't get a programme :whistle I also don't like people saying they've 'done' a ground, as if they don't expect to go back.

I first heard about these guys (and they're always guys) on here, then encountered one up close in the summer. I like going to new grounds as much as the next nerd, but I also like a wee bike ride or a walk, see the area, that kind of stuff. These guys are monomaniacal. He told me "some" (i.e. him) have to walk all the way round the ground, see a goal and get a programme for it to "count". He nearly had an aneurysm when I told him I was going to the first half at Inverurie Locos and the second half at Colony Park.

I probably earned anorak status myself making trips to Stranraer and Peterhead just to complete the 42 last season. After going to Dalbeattie on Saturday there I've one left in the LL (Gretna), been to 12/18 HL, and a bunch of senior and junior below that. 

I saw mention of "doing the 116", anyone know what that is?

I always intended to go to all 37 grounds (as it then was), but I left Scotland in 1973, so that is now a complete dead duck. Been to about 13 + half a dozen Highland League, I haven't even been to all the Irish League grounds! Always (slightly) regret not visiting Kilbowie Park when I was staying in the vicinity and also not going to Shawfield in the 80s for a Glasgow Cup tie between Clyde and Rangers, having visited Firhill the night before for Thistle v Celtic. Think Mo Johnstone was playing for Thistle and Brian McClair scored for Celtic. 

ETA: Just checked the original thread - I've been to 16 Scottish League grounds and 8 Highland League grounds.

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I first heard about these guys (and they're always guys) on here, then encountered one up close in the summer. I like going to new grounds as much as the next nerd, but I also like a wee bike ride or a walk, see the area, that kind of stuff. These guys are monomaniacal. He told me "some" (i.e. him) have to walk all the way round the ground, see a goal and get a programme for it to "count". He nearly had an aneurysm when I told him I was going to the first half at Inverurie Locos and the second half at Colony Park.

I probably earned anorak status myself making trips to Stranraer and Peterhead just to complete the 42 last season. After going to Dalbeattie on Saturday there I've one left in the LL (Gretna), been to 12/18 HL, and a bunch of senior and junior below that. 

There's 24 in the National League, so I imagine it's 92 plus that.

I've been to all bar Rangers (won't go), Elgin, Albion rovers, Edinburgh city and st mirren. I've not particular been bothered about getting all 42 and then totally lost intrest when promotion became available into league 2 and the teams would forever be changing.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

They all have their own rules. I've seen the opposite. Their was about half a dozen there towards the end of the season and they all left at halftime to head somewhere else. They had roamed around the ground, avoiding each other, taking notes and photos on proper cameras. I take it phones are cheatin g.

15 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Given the ground sharing that went on over the last 25 years as clubs moved/were kicked out of old grounds I had a wee thought about seeing teams play "home" games away from home: 

I'm sure my first visit to Firhill was to see Clyde who were playing there at the time! 
I saw Meadowbank play Ayr at Tynecastle when the Commonwealth Stadium was unavailable and they also played "home" games against Hearts at Brockville and Hibs at Starks Park in the League Cup. I'm sure Berwick also played a game at Meadowbank when the roof was taken off the Shielfield Stand. I also saw Celtic play Meadowbank at Hampden in the Scottish Cup. 
I've seen Clydebank play Queen of the South at Boghead and Gretna's last ever game against Hearts at Fir Park. 
Edinburgh City have also borrowed Netherdale, City Park (which was their original ground), Pennypit, Riccarton and Ainslie Park (before moving there) on occasion. 
I've seen the Shire play at Stenhousemuir and the Falkirk Stadium and Dunbar United at the Dunbar Grammar School. 
Of clubs sharing grounds- Edinburgh City and Tollcross United at Fernieside, Edinburgh City and Spartans at Ainslie Park, Spartans and Craigroyston at City Park and Rossvale and Petershill at Petershill Park.

Interesting one that Tam clubs who used other clubs grounds.

Out of that have seen Cowden play Clyde at Douglas Park, Hamilton, Firhill and Airdrie in a B&Q Cup tie. Never seen them at Shawfield though:lol:

Seen Cowden play home games at both Starks Park and East End Park.

Also of course seen the Shire play at home at both Ochilview and the Falkirk Stadium.

Berwick played at Meadowbank when the greyhound promoter who had the lease kicked them out of Shiefield they also played at Methil and Stenny during that time i'm sure.

41 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They all have their own rules. I've seen the opposite. Their was about half a dozen there towards the end of the season and they all left at halftime to head somewhere else. They had roamed around the ground, avoiding each other, taking notes and photos on proper cameras. I take it phones are cheatin g.

Some of them need to touch the ball. Preston v Cumbernauld Colts a couple of years ago was the Friday night game on the groundhop weekend. Halfway through, a couple of these guys passed by us, each with clickers, counting the crowd.

We got one guy turned up at Whitehill. Made sure he got his programme and badge but wouldn't shut up about buses back into town because he had to get the 1735 to Preston or wherever. We told him just to go and have a pint in the bar and somebody would sort him out for a lift but he couldn't settle. 

The camera thing beats me too. Photography is my main hobby so I've got all the gear, but a phone or a wee compact does the job for a couple of snaps at the fitba.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

There's 24 in the National League, so I imagine it's 92 plus that.

Ah, ta.

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I've been to all bar Rangers (won't go), Elgin, Albion rovers, Edinburgh city and st mirren. I've not particular been bothered about getting all 42 and then totally lost intrest when promotion became available into league 2 and the teams would forever be changing.

Would you do Ibrox if Rangers weren't playing? Apart from when I was 12 and my dad took me to a Rangers game (hated it) I've been to Ibrox loads of times for Scotland and Celtic (sorry) games, but never for a Rangers game. 

I've actually been to loads of grounds and not seen a home team play - Pittodrie, Links Park, Forthbank, Almondvale, Falkirk, Dumbarton, Airdrie, St Mirren's new ground, Spartans, maybe others.

Would you do Ibrox if Rangers weren't playing? Apart from when I was 12 and my dad took me to a Rangers game (hated it) I've been to Ibrox loads of times for Scotland and Celtic (sorry) games, but never for a Rangers game. 
I've actually been to loads of grounds and not seen a home team play - Pittodrie, Links Park, Forthbank, Almondvale, Falkirk, Dumbarton, Airdrie, St Mirren's new ground, Spartans, maybe others.
Quite possibly aye, tbh I've not been to a Scotland game in the last 4 years either but if Ibrox was my last one I probably would.

That's what I did - Celtic v Dunfernline at Ibrox in the Coca-Cola Cup semi final. Lost 1-0 in a tight game to a Craig Burley goal. Would I hell be going into the wee corner if we were playing Rangers or Sevco.

Been to 34 of the 42.

Missing: Annan Athletic, Arbroath, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, East Fife, Edinburgh City*, Elgin City, Montrose.

Would like to get them all done, but as all are at least an hour and a half away from me I can’t really see myself being arsed driving that far to a match that doesn’t involve Thistle. 

*Been to an engagement party at Spartans ground and a Radiohead gig at Meadowbank Stadium so technically I’ve been there but not for a football match so doesn’t count.

Archived