Queens v Ayr

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That was my take on the throw-ins. No one made space. I commented about Martin's timewasting early on in the first half. I'm not sure if he's deciding to do it or if he's been instructed. Either way it's utterly embarrassing that we're taking our time at goal kicks at home when we're drawing.

I said that as well. There was an instance in the second half where he came out to catch the ball and went to ground and lay there. It was 1-1 and it was as if he was wasting time like we were winning. The throw-ins only took so long cause it looked like no one wanted the ball and they were all standing looking at each other waiting on someone else to show for the ball. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

That maybe explains the throw ins.

However, that's not really an excuse for goal kicks is it? Martin was clearly timewasting which is strange when a game is poised. I could understand it if you were leading but tactically when the game can go either way it is just a bit odd.

Aye, you're right. It was very strange. I said to the boy I was with that I hate it when teams waste time to play for a draw. Especially at home. 

I'm loving the pseudo rage from QoS fans at our 'arrogance' for expecting to win! I wonder what they'd be saying if our league positions were reversed? 
Also, most of then were lamenting how bad they've been playing of late and down playing their teams chances. Is it not then a little hypocritical to get on your high horse with us for being dissapointed to draw?
Tbf i expect to be beating a team thats just been promoted. 2 points dropped.

Surface is dreadful,  needs ripped up and replaced! The bounce of the ball leading to queens late free kick nearly cost Ayr the points. Fair play to both teams for serving up a reasonable game on that. Thought Ayr played good football but lacked making the keeper work. Dobbies link up is great to watch, such an intelligent player. Due to Ayrs lack of clear cut chances a draw probably fair.

Just me that thinks Doohans positioning is poor for the first goal? Not his fault as the ball should never have been cut back and Rose was slow to react to it but if the goalie is on his line he’s got a far better chance of saving it.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That was my take on the throw-ins. No one made space. I commented about Martin's timewasting early on in the first half. I'm not sure if he's deciding to do it or if he's been instructed. Either way it's utterly embarrassing that we're taking our time at goal kicks at home when we're drawing.

Re throw-ins, it's not as if this game  was an exceptional one for the length of time we took at throw-ins, it's the same at every game we play.  We  very rarely take quick throw-ins, we wait for the fullbacks to jog up to take the throws, the opposition has time to get back and cover then no-one makes themselves available for the throw. Sometimes Dykes tries a long throw but it's mainly Mercer or Marshall trying to play it to someone about 2 yards away and we very often lose possession.   

The first half was an even contest but the second was one way traffic and I'm a bit surprised to see Queens fans attempting to claim a draw was a fair outcome and Ayr fans happy with the result.  If we hadn't won that after dominating so much I would have been pretty seething.  I think the fact we continually gifted Ayr the ball rather than them creating anything through their own good work, worked in our favour.  Despite being second best we never looked in huge danger of conceding.  Semple, Fordyce and Martin all put in solid performances but it wasn't through a lack of trying that we didn't concede with our usual antics of sitting deep and inviting our opponents onto us.  Once again Shankland was nullified, but Moffat looked a threat throughout until he tired towards the end.  His goal record speaks for itself, and I'm sure in a side that will create better chances than Ayr, Shankland will continue to score goals, but he doesn't seem to possess that ability to create chances for himself out of nothing that really sets the top players apart at this level.  He really has looked distinctly average against us.

Todd was immense for us, it was a travesty that he didn't get the MOTM award.  No-one else really reached the heights of beyond average.  Martin and Jacobs both put in performances closer to their best so after being critical of both in recent weeks they deserve a mention.  Doyle was absolutely awful but it wasn't his fault.  He is not a central midfielder but perhaps gets away with it due to his workrate.  His second half performance as a right midfielder was bordering on embarrassing though.  I can't recall the last time I saw a player so out of their depth.  Opting to play him there with Murray and Frizzell on the bench says a lot about Naysmith's mentality today.  We clearly settled for the draw after about an hour, and whilst it is to the player's credit that we managed to achieve it, it isn't great to watch.  I appreciate we were down to the bare bones today and unable to fill the bench, but playing a defender in midfield whilst having two midfielders capable of playing that position on the bench is pure shitebag behaviour.  As is taking off Stirling when he eventually decided to bring on one of the aforementioned midfielders.  His subs today were all about maintaining the status quo rather than trying to change the game.  At this moment in time 5 points from 9 against Ayr and 2 points from the playoffs seems like a decent position, but when it comes to the end of the season and we are 12+ points behind the playoffs you have to look at games like today and think "f**k it we might as well try for the win".

Dobbie was way off the pace as you would expect but hopefully an unscathed 60 minutes will have done him good with an important Scottish Cup tie on the horizon.  Our goal was a lovely move but it was about the only piece of quality we produced all game.  Dykes put in another decent enough shift but he is always going to draw the critic's attention when he misses chances like that in the first half.

2 hours ago, Naeleftfit said:

Surface is dreadful,  needs ripped up and replaced! The bounce of the ball leading to queens late free kick nearly cost Ayr the points. Fair play to both teams for serving up a reasonable game on that. Thought Ayr played good football but lacked making the keeper work. Dobbies link up is great to watch, such an intelligent player. Due to Ayrs lack of clear cut chances a draw probably fair.

C’mon. It is hardly the worst surface in the world. I would go as far as saying it plays a lot better than a lot of grass pitches at this time of year. 

The first half was an even contest but the second was one way traffic and I'm a bit surprised to see Queens fans attempting to claim a draw was a fair outcome and Ayr fans happy with the result.  If we hadn't won that after dominating so much I would have been pretty seething.  I think the fact we continually gifted Ayr the ball rather than them creating anything through their own good work, worked in our favour.  Despite being second best we never looked in huge danger of conceding.  Semple, Fordyce and Martin all put in solid performances but it wasn't through a lack of trying that we didn't concede with our usual antics of sitting deep and inviting our opponents onto us.  Once again Shankland was nullified, but Moffat looked a threat throughout until he tired towards the end.  His goal record speaks for itself, and I'm sure in a side that will create better chances than Ayr, Shankland will continue to score goals, but he doesn't seem to possess that ability to create chances for himself out of nothing that really sets the top players apart at this level.  He really has looked distinctly average against us.
Todd was immense for us, it was a travesty that he didn't get the MOTM award.  No-one else really reached the heights of beyond average.  Martin and Jacobs both put in performances closer to their best so after being critical of both in recent weeks they deserve a mention.  Doyle was absolutely awful but it wasn't his fault.  He is not a central midfielder but perhaps gets away with it due to his workrate.  His second half performance as a right midfielder was bordering on embarrassing though.  I can't recall the last time I saw a player so out of their depth.  Opting to play him there with Murray and Frizzell on the bench says a lot about Naysmith's mentality today.  We clearly settled for the draw after about an hour, and whilst it is to the player's credit that we managed to achieve it, it isn't great to watch.  I appreciate we were down to the bare bones today and unable to fill the bench, but playing a defender in midfield whilst having two midfielders capable of playing that position on the bench is pure shitebag behaviour.  As is taking off Stirling when he eventually decided to bring on one of the aforementioned midfielders.  His subs today were all about maintaining the status quo rather than trying to change the game.  At this moment in time 5 points from 9 against Ayr and 2 points from the playoffs seems like a decent position, but when it comes to the end of the season and we are 12+ points behind the playoffs you have to look at games like today and think "f**k it we might as well try for the win".
Dobbie was way off the pace as you would expect but hopefully an unscathed 60 minutes will have done him good with an important Scottish Cup tie on the horizon.  Our goal was a lovely move but it was about the only piece of quality we produced all game.  Dykes put in another decent enough shift but he is always going to draw the critic's attention when he misses chances like that in the first half.

Cammy - reading your match synopsis and finding myself agreeing with every point leads me to only one conclusion ..........you have finally realised that GN’s negativity is not only seriously negating our potential but is also very tough viewing.

22 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Cammy - reading your match synopsis and finding myself agreeing with every point leads me to only one conclusion ..........you have finally realised that GN’s negativity is not only seriously negating our potential but is also very tough viewing.

I thought Cammys match report was spot on except if he thought Semple and Fordyce were simply solid then I don’t agree.

the amount of pressure these two soak up week on week with the tactics we currently use is enormous.......  The reason we sit deep is to prevent teams getting in behind us. 

Pit is not great to watch I agree but those two take the brunt of it every week.

16 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

That'll be because it's awful, but it'll be from overuse and being a dated synthetic model.

The noises are a very direct result of the topic receiving more attention from stupid pundits in the top flight. 

We've had a synthetic surface for a few years now.  There's always been a degree of grumbling, but the current crescendo reflects mindless parroting of received drivel, more than anything else.

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Mercer was awful. Doyle not much better, but Merce was barely a 4/10.

I'd say it's harsh to mark him "awful". I don't think any defender put in an awful shift. The defence hardly gave a dangerous Ayr side a sniff today. And the only time they broke through was at Marshall's side. The defence/defending was the best thing about today's performance for us.

Certainly agree that our back line were outstanding  and Semple's long ball to Stirling for the goal was worth the ticket money on its own.  Ayr's superstar not scored against us in 3 matches, we must be doing something right 

7 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Without wanting to state the obvious, but you clearly don't watch us every week. 

Why would any Ayr fan be seething after yesterday. Probably should have won the game, but we easily could have lost it. Indeed in seasons gone by we probably would have lost this game. Sitting second in the league, within striking distance of the leaders, on an unbeaten run that goes back to October and looking good for at least a play-off spot. All this in a season where we were expected to be struggling to stay up. 

Reasons to be seething right enough.

8 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Agree with all of this. The only player missing from the team that played Ayr at home last time was Harkins. So there was no need for such a defensive approach. In mitigation, it could be argued that Dobbie not being fit might have been a reason for the way we played. However, if Naysmith continues to have us playing like that, his contract should not be renewed in the summer. And if he ever plays Doyle in midfield again, he should be emptied on the spot.

I thought Cammys match report was spot on except if he thought Semple and Fordyce were simply solid then I don’t agree.
the amount of pressure these two soak up week on week with the tactics we currently use is enormous.......  The reason we sit deep is to prevent teams getting in behind us. 
Pit is not great to watch I agree but those two take the brunt of it every week.

With players like Dobbie,Dykes,Stirling and Todd at our disposal should we not be “getting in behind” our opponents and creating mayhem in their final third? It is virtually impossible to do that if you have 9 outfield players sitting deep in their own half.

We were doing that earlier in the season with virtually the same 11 players

I'm a bit surprised Marshall isn't getting some stick for the goal we conceded.  You put a man on the post to stop chances such as that.  The ball went in just over his head,  not high into the net,  he didn't even jump to try and stop it.  

As for the praise Todd is getting,  he put in a good shift but doesn't have the pace to get away from defenders if/when he gets past them.  Several times he went past an opponent but had to turn and pass back because the defender got goal side if him again.  A cracking goal he scored anyway after good work by Stirling.  

Agree that Doyle didn't have the best of games either in the middle or out wide,  I would much rather see him partnering Semple at the back with Fordyce or Mercer at RB. 

It must be frustrating for Dobbie and Dykes playing up front with the tactics that Naysmith employs,  several times yesterday I noticed them urging the midfield to push up and support a bit more. There are times when the opposition dictates you sit a bit deep but that shouldn't stop you pushing up a bit when you have the chance.  It's getting very hard to go and watch the Queens displays under Naysmith, I can understand why more aren't bothering.

Ayr,  Alloa,  Morton are examples of teams who seem  to have players capable of playing at a high tempo and pressing opponents high up the park,  Queens seem content to play in a plodding,  lethargic style,  depending on the defence to remain solid whilst feeding Dobbie and Dykes with scraps to try and score. 

Archived