Killie v Cowdenbeaths conquerors

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I'm pretty sure that video has been sped up to make it seem like the elbow is thrown with more force than it was.

I wouldn't take that video as gospel.

Fair enough mate that the only one I’ve seen and was suprised it caused so much uproar. 

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I'm pretty sure that video has been sped up to make it seem like the elbow is thrown with more force than it was.

I wouldn't take that video as gospel.

Reasons why I think it is altered:

The voiceover feels like it is slightly too fast

That is off a tv broadcast but the version going about is someone recording it off a phone.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47320141

it looks much slower here.

(i hope bbc links are allowed on a sevco thread)

All Sevco and Celtic fans indulge in, or at accept, at least a wee bit of sectarianism. I think they really enjoy it as a hobby. The majority of people in Scotland find it tedious though and aren't interested. It's a strange subculture of maybe 100,000-200,000 people at most. We should probably just leave them to it. And ignore it. Free speech and all that. 

Singing about how wonderful the IRA are/how great the monarch is/how anyone adhering to a Protestant denomination must also be a member of the Orange Order/how Roman Catholics should all die - none of it is really to my taste. Which is why I don't support either of them.

26 minutes ago, milhouse said:

All Sevco and Celtic fans indulge in, or at accept, at least a wee bit of sectarianism.

I think part of the problem there is that a lot of it is confused with "Friendly rivalry" and "Banter" with large parts of the fanbase. I know guys on both sides of the divide who can sit and slaughter each other for being every orange/fen*an b under the sun for hours on end, but they are best mates and get on with life without actually meaning a word of it, beyond using it as a means of slagging a pal.

15 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Would it be unfair to label any Rangers fan who doesn't condem sectarian abuse from within their support and instead indulges in infantile whataboutery a 'bigot apologist'?

No.

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

OBFA repeal more important imo. Atmosphere changed overnight when that happened.

Eh? That law never stopped Celtic, Rangers and Sevco fans from their songs and related shite.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The SFA and SPFL are scared of Celtic and Rangers fans.  As are the police.  They're all fucking cowards.

True, but those organisations also contain a worryingly large number of Celtic and Sevco fans who see no issue.

Nothing will happen of course. Apparently it's still just a 'minority' of fans who do this shit. In reality we all know it's the vast majority who revel in the religious shite.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The SFA and SPFL are scared of Celtic and Rangers fans.  As are the police.  They're all fucking cowards.

I worked with a retired policeman who used to police games and I asked him why they don't do anything when the crowds behave badly (this was when Fir Park stands were smashed up). They basically are scared of making things worse, their view is that wading in will cause much more unrest and damage because of the nature of football crowds and that they try to identify and arrest people afterwards.

The problem is that you never hear of people being arrested for the stuff they do at the game, so it generally appears to most that they simply get away with it. Indeed, maybe they do.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I worked with a retired policeman who used to police games and I asked him why they don't do anything when the crowds behave badly (this was when Fir Park stands were smashed up). They basically are scared of making things worse, their view is that wading in will cause much more unrest and damage because of the nature of football crowds and that they try to identify and arrest people afterwards.

The problem is that you never hear of people being arrested for the stuff they do at the game, so it generally appears to most that they simply get away with it. Indeed, maybe they do.

Yep, I'd very much doubt anything will be done to try and find out who smashed up Rugby Park. for example.  Killie will present Celtic with the bill, and it will happen again next time they come to town.  And repeat until the end of time.

Rangers fans screaming their wee heads off trying to convince the world that they’ve done nothing wrong. Nothing new there.

The facts are that Steve Clarke is the victim of sectarian abuse. What he said about Chelsea shouldn’t even come into the debate. He wasn’t saying Chelsea fans were saints, he said he was thankful that he got the chance to get out of Scotland and be able to build a family away from a country so riddled with sectarian bile. This doesn’t mean to say that England or London more specifically doesn’t have its fair share of racism. It clearly does but Clarke isn’t going to be subjected to the kind of abuse in England as he is in Scotland. Does this mean he doesn’t care about the racism in England? No, it means he’s not particularly a fan of being called a ****** b*****d nor would he want to subject his family to having to witness or perhaps even become targets of that abuse.

Clarke was incredibly brave to come out after the game and call it out and it was inevitable fans would immediately jump to write it off as sour grapes because they got pumped or he’s raging because the ref got a decision wrong. Does that mean that if a team gets beat the manager shouldn’t be vocal about racism or sectarianism after a game?

I’m not really sure what the authorities can do to punish offenders and it’s unlikely anything will actually be done.

19 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

They basically are scared

It just confirms what most folk had sussed out ages ago and why their policy of appeasement unsuccessfully carries on.  Too scared to act on the day and too scared to act on any other day.  There is no need for special laws. Everything exists in current legislation to deal with the scum. The only element missing is the will to enforce it. 

5 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I was at a conference a wee while back where a guy presented on sectarianism, and he argued that they only way to tackle it was by referring to it as anti-Catholic or anti-Protestant racism. His argument was along the lines of that word really driving home how serious it is, whilst the term 'sectarianism' has been totally devalued.

Imo Sectarianism is seen as a bit of a joke to a lot of people. We all likely know people who are pretty openly sectarian and, dare I say it, borderline proud of the fact. Until that's made as socially unacceptable as racism then we won't get anywhere.

It’s nothing like it. You can stop being Catholic or Protestant it hide it. You can’t hide being black, Asian whatever.

It’s nothing like it. You can stop being Catholic or Protestant it hide it. You can’t hide being black, Asian whatever.

What the f**k is this post? Why should a Catholic or Protestant have to hide it?

Just because you can’t identify someone’s religion by looking at them doesn’t make it any less abhorrent than abusing a person because they’re black or Asian.

What the f**k is this post? Why should a Catholic or Protestant have to hide it?

Just because you can’t identify someone’s religion by looking at them doesn’t make it any less abhorrent than abusing a person because they’re black or Asian.
These c***s just keep on looking for ways and means to allow them to keep involving religion in football.

No shame is a term we use a lot, but see when someone does what Clarke did, disarm themselves and just come out and say what no one else does, that it affects them and their family, you would think for any decent person that would really shine a light on your behaviour and cause you to ask some hard questions of yourself.

Its hard to put into words just how seedy and tawdry the whole thing is, that they will continue to use their logic to make it ok to abuse people like this. Scum.

These c***s just keep on looking for ways and means to allow them to keep involving religion in football.

No shame is a term we use a lot, but see when someone does what Clarke did, disarm themselves and just come out and say what no one else does, that it affects them and their family, you would think for any decent person that would really shine a light on your behaviour and cause you to ask some hard questions of yourself.

Its hard to put into words just how seedy and tawdry the whole thing is, that they will continue to use their logic to make it ok to abuse people like this. Scum.

You’ve articulated yourself far better than I, good post.

30 minutes ago, thekorean said:

Wow. 

Let's put this another way, given that LGBT people can choose to hide their sexuality does that make homophobia any less abhorrent?

Not many things wind me up in football more than fans doing scummy things like what they’ve done last night and then instead of taking a bit of responsibility, try and turn it round and make the victim look like the one in the wrong.

It’s fucking baffling the amount of shite I’ve read on Twitter today from fans trying to justify their actions. One I read 10 minutes ago questioned why Clarke was so offended by being called a “****** b*****d”? If he was called a baldy b*****d he wouldn’t have made as big a deal about it. How can folk be so fucking brain dead that they think there’s logic in that?

Archived