The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

24 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

I agree that we can't be too down about the points tally in recent games. If we lost those points against the bottom sides then I would worry. The trouble for many supporters now is the fact that we need to be about four goals up against a side so that we can relax. If our players misfire as on Saturday then we have big problems.

Personally, I believe that only Fordyce and Ballantyne and perhaps Devenney are worth their place in the defensive lineup. Take a look at the highlights this year and you will see the same players guilty of defensive errors and poor positioning.

Other managers always comment that we have "a way of playing". That is certainly true, the trouble is how to change it when we go behind or lose a player.

The last couple of games Fordyce was better but not a good season up till then ,my opinion  only,any team that attack us at the moment will beat us,,

12 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

I agree that we can't be too down about the points tally in recent games. If we lost those points against the bottom sides then I would worry. The trouble for many supporters now is the fact that we need to be about four goals up against a side so that we can relax. If our players misfire as on Saturday then we have big problems.

Personally, I believe that only Fordyce and Ballantyne and perhaps Devenney are worth their place in the defensive lineup. Take a look at the highlights this year and you will see the same players guilty of defensive errors and poor positioning.

I don't know if you are trying to absolve them from blame or not, I think they are all culpable, main offender being Fordyce he was a rock the past 2 seasons when he had a leader beside him on the park,  Crighton for all his faults was a great leader and organiser on the park,  last season  McCabe dropped into centre half by accident really due to covid and again was outstanding,  keeping Fordyce in check and that partnership nearly took us to the championship,  this season in games he is being pulled all over the shop,  going forward, labouring to get back,  look at the 3 goals on Saturday I blame Fordyce for every one of them, watch them back....  What do we do 10 games to go, I think we need a reset at the back, does McCabe drop back again and organise and tighten it up, i f so who replaces Rhys, Stanway \McMaster....possibly...

Ballantyne as stated previously has had an average season IMO, big 10 games,ahead for him, I expected a lot more, going forward he is decent, defensively suspect. You could really say the same about Deveney, he has improved as an attacking wing back and can beat a man and has a,wicked cross,  defensively he is a trainwreck, he was schooled off Morrison last game,  a full backs main job is o stop or block the cross from coming in,  he is found wanting on numerous occasions really all season,,    look at Leon McCann he gave us nothing not an inch all game,excellent full back, that is the difference, all these deficiencies in defence add up and you concede horrendous goals,  the only way to fix it is organisation,  Fordyce has proven he cannot do it,   who can...

12 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

Other managers always comment that we have "a way of playing". That is certainly true, the trouble is how to change it when we go behind or lose a player.

It sounds like managers know if they can weather the storm, we don't have a plan B

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

look at the 3 goals on Saturday I blame Fordyce for every one of them, watch them back

You could perhaps apportion blame for the 3rd for a poor tackle.

Didn't do anything wrong at the 1st, his positioning was fine to cut out cross, went over his head and Oliver scores from 3 yards in the 6 yard box, goalkeeper is badly at fault.

The 2nd, is 100% Ballantyne. He seen and let Kennedy run straight by him, you cant pass on runners in the penalty box.

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

Ballantyne as stated previously has had an average season

Agree, erratic is how I would describe him.

I’ve been more critical of Fordyce than most this season but feel he’s really stepped up his game since the last Edinburgh debacle. I think he plays better with ATS in beside him. For all his faults ATS is always the calmest man on the park, whereas Watson can be quite erratic. I’d go back to Fordyce and ATS on Saturday.

Hows this for a setup to sort the Defensive side

Rae

Watson               McCabe                                         Fordyce             ATS

Ballantyne           Telfer                                             Frizz                    Smith / Euan

McGill                                          Gallagher

Allows            Smith/Euan , Mccabe & Ballantyne to move forward in attack & track back help in defense, leaving Gal & Mcgill free to counter

Also facilitates Mcgregor to come in last 20 for Mcgill / Ballantyne who will tire & stanway to replace Telfer / Frizz if required

1 hour ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Rae

Watson               McCabe                                         Fordyce             ATS

Ballantyne           Telfer                                             Frizz                    Smith / Euan

Allows            Smith/Euan , Mccabe & Ballantyne to move forward in attack & track back help in defense, leaving Gal & Mcgill free to counter

Also facilitates Mcgregor to come in last 20 for Mcgill / Ballantyne who will tire & stanway to replace Telfer / Frizz if required

Craig Levein is that you?

1 hour ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Rae

I doubt ATS will start, in fact I don't believe he will start another game this season unless we're decimated by injuries and/or suspensions. Got a feeling he will give Byrd a chance at centre back before him, but not this Saturday.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I doubt ATS will start, in fact I don't believe he will start another game this season unless we're decimated by injuries and/or suspensions. Got a feeling he will give Byrd a chance at centre back before him, but not this Saturday.

Byrd had only about 10 mins and at right back ,get him in at centre back ,with Fordyce beside him. We are going no place as we are ,now's the time to make some changes ,manager on the side lines,it has been proved by results he can't change game when he is playing,

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeah pretty sure he's doing some coaching behind the scenes so i think that's more his role in the team. I would would love byrd to get a chance, apparently he's really impressed in training.

I personally think Telfer should play a more advanced role than Frizz. Telfer can be really good when we’re dominating but offers nothing defensively. At least Frizz puts himself a bit and is good at retaining possession in tight areas. Not saying it would solve everything but when we started that last game with 4-1-2-1-2 Frizzell was so advanced and at times uninvolved. I think I preferred him last season when he was more of an 8 than a 10.

@Passionate mentioned it in his post but would anyone be against McCabe dropping back to centre half? Might be controversial but in my opinion Rhys McCabe's best performances for us have been at centre back. He doesn't have as much influence on the game from centre mid. It would also allow for a bit more energy in midfield with Stanway or Devenny starting. Can't see it ever happening though.

I thought when Byrd signed he would go straight into the starting 11 but looks to be signed as 'one for the future' which is a shame because on paper he ticks every box in terms of what we'd be looking for in a centre back (good height, dominate in the air, good with the ball at feet etc). Would be interesting partnering him next to Fordyce, but again can't see that happening.

Calum Gallagher said on the extended interview that unfortunately the team only have one way of playing and are hoping that the 'style of play' achieves more positive results than negative. Pretty much what a few posters were saying 2/3 days ago on here.

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

@Passionate mentioned it in his post but would anyone be against McCabe dropping back to centre half? Might be controversial but in my opinion Rhys McCabe's best performances for us have been at centre back. He doesn't have as much influence on the game from centre mid. It would also allow for a bit more energy in midfield with Stanway or Devenny starting. Can't see it ever happening though.

I thought when Byrd signed he would go straight into the starting 11 but looks to be signed as 'one for the future' which is a shame because on paper he ticks every box in terms of what we'd be looking for in a centre back (good height, dominate in the air, good with the ball at feet etc). Would be interesting partnering him next to Fordyce, but again can't see that happening.

Calum Gallagher said on the extended interview that unfortunately the team only have one way of playing and are hoping that the 'style of play' achieves more positive results than negative. Pretty much what a few posters were saying 2/3 days ago on here.

You've saved me a lot of typing sir. Rhys back in defence to get them organised!

5 hours ago, David Fernández said:

In theory I think McCabe moving into defence and a return to last season’s centre half pairing is a good idea, and I think McCabe maybe would do better in that role since he reads the game so well and it would help him influence us playing it out from the back, but I’m not convinced we have a player that can take McCabe’s midfield role. We’d need a calming influence in that defensive midfield position (akin to Agnew) and I’m not sure it’s a role that Telfer, Frizz, Stanway, McMaster, Devenny etc could play. I want to see it, but I don’t think we have a midfield that will allow it anymore.

Something I was thinking about earlier, remember how Easton used to drop deep to almost reach the centre halves because that’s how desperate he was to get on the ball and advance the play? I think we miss that more than any of his tricks or attacking flair. We don’t really have anyone doing that anymore. Another big change from last season is that we never seem to have any calm, patient and controlled possession anymore. We’ve played great stuff at times, and arguably have looked better in flashes than last season with the quick attacking play with the ball on the deck, but I think we would benefit from slowing things down from time to time and just progressing the ball with a bit of patience and controlling the game. It’s a 90 minute game and not every move has to be about getting the ball and bodies up the park in a matter of seconds. I think that style of play has cost us a lot of goals, especially when you consider the first two Falkirk goals at the weekend. Wasted possession in midfield when things could have been calmed down and played more sensibly instead.

12 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

In theory I think McCabe moving into defence and a return to last season’s centre half pairing is a good idea, and I think McCabe maybe would do better in that role since he reads the game so well and it would help him influence us playing it out from the back, but I’m not convinced we have a player that can take McCabe’s midfield role. We’d need a calming influence in that defensive midfield position (akin to Agnew) and I’m not sure it’s a role that Telfer, Frizz, Stanway, McMaster, Devenny etc could play. I want to see it, but I don’t think we have a midfield that will allow it anymore.

Something I was thinking about earlier, remember how Easton used to drop deep to almost reach the centre halves because that’s how desperate he was to get on the ball and advance the play? I think we miss that more than any of his tricks or attacking flair. We don’t really have anyone doing that anymore. Another big change from last season is that we never seem to have any calm, patient and controlled possession anymore. We’ve played great stuff at times, and arguably have looked better in flashes than last season with the quick attacking play with the ball on the deck, but I think we would benefit from slowing things down from time to time and just progressing the ball with a bit of patience and controlling the game. It’s a 90 minute game and not every move has to be about getting the ball and bodies up the park in a matter of seconds. I think that style of play has cost us a lot of goals, especially when you consider the first two Falkirk goals at the weekend. Wasted possession in midfield when things could have been calmed down and played more sensibly instead.

Yeah, I think Agnew, for all he was maligned at times last season), is a definite miss. McCabe has generally done fine but he does have a tendency to drop deep when we're under pressure. Agnew was a steady presence who didn't do anything fancy and was always there to plug gaps and keep things ticking over. One thing I've harped on about all season is the number of goals we concede from just outside the box. That wasn't an issue with Agnew in there. I agree we don't have another player (McCabe aside) who can play defensive midfield effectively. 

I agree on your second point too. Frizzell is at his best driving from deep and he's a bit wasted playing so far forward, he's more one to run with the ball than drop deep to collect it off the centre backs. Telfer has generally been good but again he's better picking passes and progressing the ball than calming things down in tricky situations. We go from 0 to 100 very quickly and very rarely hover in the middle. Instead of sitting in and calmly moving the ball around we go straight to panicking and causing our own problems.

McCabe moving back into defence is a decent idea in theory but that's exactly what we tried in October after the first Edinburgh defeat and we had our worst form of the season. We have a winnable run of games coming up, I'd be inclined to stick with what has worked recently and go with something like this:

Rae
Ballantyne/Watson - Fordyce - ATS - Deveney
Telfer - McCabe - Frizzell
McGill - Gallagher - Smith

As much as he faded out the game last week I'd consider bringing Stanway in for Telfer for tougher games for a bit more solidity but with the squad we've got I think we're probably best just focusing on our strengths and hoping for a bit of luck to guide us through tough situations. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Yeah, I think Agnew, for all he was maligned at times last season), is a definite miss. McCabe has generally done fine but he does have a tendency to drop deep when we're under pressure. Agnew was a steady presence who didn't do anything fancy and was always there to plug gaps and keep things ticking over. One thing I've harped on about all season is the number of goals we concede from just outside the box. That wasn't an issue with Agnew in there. I agree we don't have another player (McCabe aside) who can play defensive midfield effectively. 

I agree on your second point too. Frizzell is at his best driving from deep and he's a bit wasted playing so far forward, he's more one to run with the ball than drop deep to collect it off the centre backs. Telfer has generally been good but again he's better picking passes and progressing the ball than calming things down in tricky situations. We go from 0 to 100 very quickly and very rarely hover in the middle. Instead of sitting in and calmly moving the ball around we go straight to panicking and causing our own problems.

McCabe moving back into defence is a decent idea in theory but that's exactly what we tried in October after the first Edinburgh defeat and we had our worst form of the season. We have a winnable run of games coming up, I'd be inclined to stick with what has worked recently and go with something like this:

Rae

As much as he faded out the game last week I'd consider bringing Stanway in for Telfer for tougher games for a bit more solidity but with the squad we've got I think we're probably best just focusing on our strengths and hoping for a bit of luck to guide us through tough situations. 

I like the idea of Stanway also, not to replace Telfer, but  like on Saturday to replace smith or McGIll,  and play a 4 in midfield , as you have stated we play a midfield 3 with McCabe lying deep,(too deep)  better sides if they can beat our "press" can easily outnumber our midfield, and we become very exposed equally if we can intercept the ball , we are on a good attack due o our system, that is how a lot of our games are a bit of a basketball match, with the personnel we have, we dont have many other options...  When it works its great, when it doesn't it's amateur hour,   can we get to the playoffs with this team, after 60 minutes of the first Dunfermline game,  no problem, 3 games later without a win and Alloa and Edinburgh gradually getting back to form, the margin for error is slim,  3 points on Saturday is really a must....

9 hours ago, Mr November said:

Rae

Thought Telfer was poor  last week ,if we are having to defend  he seems to disappear,we can dress it up any way we like but the main thing is we need a manager on the touch line just like every other football team ,our organisation on the park is a easy win for any half descent team ,

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

We have a winnable run of games coming up

Absolutely, and whilst I believe we will make the play offs easily, I might change my opinion if we're not in the top 4 at the end of this month.

15 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Absolutely, and whilst I believe we will make the play offs easily, I might change my opinion if we're not in the top 4 at the end of this month.

I think Alloa and Edinburgh have to play each other and also Dunfermline this month, while Edinburgh also have Queen of the South who they oddly really struggle against, so it’s definitely a good opportunity for us. It won’t be easy but the aim has to be for us to be 3-4 points ahead of 5th going into April. I still fancy us to make the top four as well but do not like any scenario which requires us to go to Meadowbank needing a result on the last day.