The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I was critical of McCabe, and Fordyce After the defeat to Dunfermline last week,   To be fair they s tood up to be counted this week, with Fordyce  having his best performance of the season so far,   Technically for long spells in yesterday's game we were very good,    Dunfermline for the 2nd week running were hanging on a little,    Dunfermline then bring on McCann and Todorov and what a change to the game dynamics,      We start to hang on and showed some heart for once to stay in the game,    We used no subs until the last 5 minutes when Sal came on,   It is clear that McCabe has no trust in the majority of his bench,,   We signed a few in January does any of them deserve a,starting slot,    Byrd. No chance after his basic errors last week,    McGregor who has pace, but has to show a lot more than that,   McMaster a player rumoured to be signing once his St Mirre n deal is  up,  not showed much at all,  Devenney looked a player earlier in the season looks well off it now,   Bright and Dixon are just there to make up the numbers,    is it poor recruitment again....

We have 2 loanees we can still bring in by the end of the month,  surely if the bench cannot be trusted, we have to try and get a,couple of quality loanees,   is our links to Celtic still as strong as last season,  doesn't seem so,  wonder why......

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

I was critical of McCabe, and Fordyce After the defeat to Dunfermline last week,   To be fair they s tood up to be counted this week, with Fordyce  having his best performance of the season so far,   Technically for long spells in yesterday's game we were very good,    Dunfermline for the 2nd week running were hanging on a little,    Dunfermline then bring on McCann and Todorov and what a change to the game dynamics,      We start to hang on and showed some heart for once to stay in the game,    We used no subs until the last 5 minutes when Sal came on,   It is clear that McCabe has no trust in the majority of his bench,,   We signed a few in January does any of them deserve a,starting slot,    Byrd. No chance after his basic errors last week,    McGregor who has pace, but has to show a lot more than that,   McMaster a player rumoured to be signing once his St Mirre n deal is  up,  not showed much at all,  Devenney looked a player earlier in the season looks well off it now,   Bright and Dixon are just there to make up the numbers,    is it poor recruitment again....

We have 2 loanees we can still bring in by the end of the month,  surely if the bench cannot be trusted, we have to try and get a,couple of quality loanees,   is our links to Celtic still as strong as last season,  doesn't seem so,  wonder why......

Personally I think it was just him learning from last week as i would say making so many subs cost us the game. A tight game like that, especially when having to defend so much you just need to trust the men on the park to see it out.

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

Been our big problem all season and last,I thought prince was to old for development team signed for senior squad,I must of read wrong ,back playing with development team,

One of the things I like about our current team is the extremely high tempo that they start games with. However a consequence of that is that late on in games the harder workers tend to tire, our tempo drops and the opposition can get on top a bit.

The best way to counter this is to bring on fresh legs, to bring the tempo back up a bit. The players coming on don't need to have the same quality as those going off, as they make up for this with their additional work-rate. fresh players like Devenny, McMaster and Stanway are better than shattered Telfers and Frizzells, likewise McGregor coming on for Smith or McGill.

On a side note, I read a while back that you needed 2 qualified coaches in the dug-out, does this only apply at the start of the game, or who was our second coach when Hutton came on, on Saturday?

On 18/02/2023 at 19:16, Diamonds are Forever said:

Interesting to see what McCabe does with the goalkeeper situation next week. It's clear from McCabe bringing in Johnson, Henderson and Lyness when Rae got injured that he has no faith in Hutton. The fact he was happy to let Henderson and Lyness leave when Rae came back suggests that he either has some sort of back-up plan in mind with an emergency loan, or that he was just hoping to save a wage and get lucky with Rae not getting injured or suspended.

It's impossible to make that call without knowing the options, but I'd definitely be looking to bring someone in.

On 18/02/2023 at 19:26, Mr November said:

Yeah, I said it on the match thread but while Hutton had his moment today, I think bringing someone in seems sensible. We at least need someone to cover the bench, as you can never rule out Hutton doing something mad and getting sent off, but I can see us bringing in a young keeper on an emergency loan for the week. It’s a gamble either way. 

There can’t be too many times a keeper has been booked two games in a row, sent off in one and debatably should have been sent off in the other. Hutton must be rubbing off on him.

Can either bring someone in on loan from another SPFL side for the rest of the season if it's done before 1st March (and assuming you don't already have 5 SPFL loans), or just find an emergency loan to play for a week. Or sign someone who was a free agent on January 31st. Can't have already played for two clubs though.

On 18/02/2023 at 20:12, Kenny_m said:

Get Muzz back on emergency loan

Can't see that happening assuming Hibs have a game next weekend. He's now their number two since Schofield went back to Huddersfield at the end of the window and Kevin Dabrowski went out on loan to us.

On 18/02/2023 at 22:18, Mr November said:

Yeah five keepers (Rae, Hutton, Johnson, Henderson, Lyness) and six red cards (Ballantyne x3, Riley, Smith, Rae) I think. Impressive numbers. 

The keeper thing reminds me of 13/14 when I think we played seven keepers across the season, notably turning up at Ibrox with Tony Bullock in goals, as well as an eighth who never made it beyond the bench.

We've stripped 7 different keepers for the first team this season so far, though only 4 of them have actually played. Max Currie, Scott Fox, Charlie Cowie and Kevin Dabrowski have all played. Tom Ritchie, Sam Henderson and Gordon Botterill have all been unused subs. Botterill is still here and may play at some point.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can't see that happening assuming Hibs have a game next weekend. He's now their number two since Schofield went back to Huddersfield at the end of the window and Kevin Dabrowski went out on loan to us.

Interestingly Hibs have a free weekend next week, though I suppose they might not want to risk Johnson getting injured. Still, the dream is more alive than I thought.

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Interestingly Hibs have a free weekend next week, though I suppose they might not want to risk Johnson getting injured. Still, the dream is more alive than I thought.

😆 It was an afterthought when I added that caveat. I wasn't being serious and had forgotten all about the League Cup Final being next week. I suppose it's not 100% impossible they might permit it then. I suppose if the worst happened and he got injured they'd just emergency recall Dabrowski from ourselves to cover him.

So, that being the case, hopefully they don't allow it then! Or if they do, he comes through unscathed.

58 minutes ago, Sage Monkey said:

On a side note, I read a while back that you needed 2 qualified coaches in the dug-out, does this only apply at the start of the game, or who was our second coach when Hutton came on, on Saturday?

I think Gordon Thompson is a qualified coach? Suppose if we don't sign an emergency loan and Hutton has to play one of the academy coaches could presumably take a spot? Or one of McCabe or Fordyce would have to bench themselves.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I think Gordon Thompson is a qualified coach? Suppose if we don't sign an emergency loan and Hutton has to play one of the academy coaches could presumably take a spot? Or one of McCabe or Fordyce would have to bench themselves.

I don't think they specifically have to be "in the dugout". There have to be at least two qualified coaches PLUS a GK coach involved in running the squad on the matchday but they can be on the pitch if they need to be.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We've stripped 7 different keepers for the first team this season so far, though only 4 of them have actually played. Max Currie, Scott Fox, Charlie Cowie and Kevin Dabrowski have all played. Tom Ritchie, Sam Henderson and Gordon Botterill have all been unused subs. Botterill is still here and may play at some point.

What happened with Max Currie? Just saw he joined East Kilbride in January, that's some drop for him.

8 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

What happened with Max Currie? Just saw he joined East Kilbride in January, that's some drop for him.

It didn't really work out for him. Our fans didn't take to him. He wasn't awful (for me anyway, but I expect I'm in a minority) and certainly wasn't any worse than Scott Fox (I'd say he was better) but his lack of height was perceived to be an issue, he had a tendency to flap at crosses and he also irritated some of our fans with his onfield antics with timewasting, etc.

He was very much a Wullie Gibson signing too and Marvin Bartley wanted to bring in his own keeper he'd worked with before in Dabrowski. Max had already decided he was going to go part-time at the end of the season as he's taken up the opportunity to train for a regular job so it made sense to part ways in January with no hard feelings either side. EK are obviously level 5 but they pay better than most of League 2 I think. He had an offer from a League 2 side also but went to EK.

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It didn't really work out for him. Our fans didn't take to him. He wasn't awful (for me anyway, but I expect I'm in a minority) and certainly wasn't any worse than Scott Fox (I'd say he was better) but his lack of height was perceived to be an issue, he had a tendency to flap at crosses and he also irritated some of our fans with his onfield antics with timewasting, etc.

He was very much a Wullie Gibson signing too and Marvin Bartley wanted to bring in his own keeper he'd worked with before in Dabrowski. Max had already decided he was going to go part-time at the end of the season as he's taken up the opportunity to train for a regular job so it made sense to part ways in January with no hard feelings either side. EK are obviously level 5 but they pay better than most of League 2 I think. He had an offer from a League 2 side also but went to EK.

I’m sure Currie was part time for us and because of that I was actually a bit surprised he signed for QOTS. As far as I know Gallagher is now our only part time player and the way McCabe seemed to prefer McGill over him at the start of the season made me wonder if he wanted rid of the hybrid system in favour of going fully full time but that might have changed now that Gallagher has became undroppable and arguably our POTY.