The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

46 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah, I said it on the match thread but while Hutton had his moment today, I think bringing someone in seems sensible. We at least need someone to cover the bench, as you can never rule out Hutton doing something mad and getting sent off, but I can see us bringing in a young keeper on an emergency loan for the week. It’s a gamble either way. 

There can’t be too many times a keeper has been booked two games in a row, sent off in one and debatably should have been sent off in the other. Hutton must be rubbing off on him.

Get Muzz back on emergency loan

Edited by Kenny_m

On 17/02/2023 at 09:42, Kenny_m said:

Well it's part 2 of the Dunfermline double header and confidence must have taken a hit and anything we get tomorrow will be a bonus. Team selection we know will change as Smith is missing who's work rate and pace will be badly missed and I would expect Stanway to come into the starting 11 to replace him with a tweak in the formation. I would also expect Watson to come in for ATS.

Glad Rhys listened!

On 17/02/2023 at 09:42, Kenny_m said:

Well it's part 2 of the Dunfermline double header and confidence must have taken a hit and anything we get tomorrow will be a bonus. Team selection we know will change as Smith is missing who's work rate and pace will be badly missed and I would expect Stanway to come into the starting 11 to replace him with a tweak in the formation. I would also expect Watson to come in for ATS.

You got that right and we did look so much better and quicker in defence. Can you pick next week? Posted on match thread but glad to stop them winning. 

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'd imagine we'll get another keeper in on an emergency loan which would take us up to our 6th goalkeeper for the season. Have we had more red cards than goalies this year? As both seem a ridiculously high number

Yeah five keepers (Rae, Hutton, Johnson, Henderson, Lyness) and six red cards (Ballantyne x3, Riley, Smith, Rae) I think. Impressive numbers. 

The keeper thing reminds me of 13/14 when I think we played seven keepers across the season, notably turning up at Ibrox with Tony Bullock in goals, as well as an eighth who never made it beyond the bench.

33 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'd imagine we'll get another keeper in on an emergency loan which would take us up to our 6th goalkeeper for the season. Have we had more red cards than goalies this year? As both seem a ridiculously high number

In season 10/11 we got a red card every second game more or less. And that’s no exaggeration! The likes of Stallard, Devlin, and Euen Grant getting sent off near enough every week. According to Wikipedia we had 12 sending offs in the league, so I wasn’t far off in saying we got a red card every second game! 

10 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

In season 10/11 we got a red card every second game more or less. And that’s no exaggeration! The likes of Stallard, Devlin, and Euen Grant getting sent off near enough every week. According to Wikipedia we had 12 sending offs in the league, so I wasn’t far off in saying we got a red card every second game! 

That season (and the year after) had a very funny team. Just a rotating cast of whatever jobbers Jimmy Boyle could conjure up, guys signing and playing about four games only to never be seen again. Tony Watt, Stephen McKeown, Adam Fairweather, Gary Mackay-Steven, Harry McGregor, Eddie Forrest, Rhys Devlin, Neil McFarlane etc., what a mix of superstars and some of the worst I’ve ever seen play for Airdrie. The Scott Gibson/Ryan Wallace car park incident a real highlight.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Interesting to see what McCabe does with the goalkeeper situation next week. It's clear from McCabe bringing in Johnson, Henderson and Lyness when Rae got injured that he has no faith in Hutton. The fact he was happy to let Henderson and Lyness leave when Rae came back suggests that he either has some sort of back-up plan in mind with an emergency loan, or that he was just hoping to save a wage and get lucky with Rae not getting injured or suspended.

It's impossible to make that call without knowing the options, but I'd definitely be looking to bring someone in.

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah, I said it on the match thread but while Hutton had his moment today, I think bringing someone in seems sensible. We at least need someone to cover the bench, as you can never rule out Hutton doing something mad and getting sent off, but I can see us bringing in a young keeper on an emergency loan for the week. It’s a gamble either way. 

There can’t be too many times a keeper has been booked two games in a row, sent off in one and debatably should have been sent off in the other. Hutton must be rubbing off on him.

The penalty save was brilliant and I’m a real sucker for the badge thumping/kissing stuff after the game (more of that please). Celebrating the penalty save before the ball went out of play was also a good laugh. But I don’t fancy 90 minutes of Hutton next week! He looked like he could barely run when he came on and he had more than a couple of spills. There would also be the bizarre situation of another coach being on the pitch rather than in the dugout. I assume/hope we will sign an emergency loan. Murray Johnson would be ideal but if not I’m sure another young Premiership goalie would suffice. Looking forward to Hutton getting sent off and Liam Prunty having to come on. 

As long as we don’t sign bloody Dean Lyness… 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

The penalty save was brilliant and I’m a real sucker for the badge thumping/kissing stuff after the game (more of that please). Celebrating the penalty save before the ball went out of play was also a good laugh. But I don’t fancy 90 minutes of Hutton next week! He looked like he could barely run when he came on and he had more than a couple of spills. There would also be the bizarre situation of another coach being on the pitch rather than in the dugout. I assume/hope we will sign an emergency loan. Murray Johnson would be ideal but if not I’m sure another young Premiership goalie would suffice. Looking forward to Hutton getting sent off and Liam Prunty having to come on. 

Good point something I hadn't considered.    What would have happened if prunty had called the ref a c u next Tuesday and got sent off?  If we can't get anyone and have manager, assistant manager and goalie coach all on the pitch is 1 guy on the side ok?  Not that prunty or hutton do much most Saturdays

Edited by Ballboy

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Ring rust as Brian so eloquently put it and made me laugh 😂 

19 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye, Lachie brought to strengthen team,manager must not see it that way.I would have started him in his natural position, certainty a big lad.

I thought he was coming in to start too, and he looks an athlete, but I'm told his positioning was pretty poor when he came on last week.

Edited by Moon

Our development team beat Falkirk 4-2 today at Airdrie Leisure Centre. Dom Kavanagh and Bright Prince both grabbing doubles.

Bright Prince scoring twice against the Falkirk development team before grabbing another double against the men's team next weekend.

FB_IMG_1676829895876.jpg

Edited by David Fernández

19 hours ago, Ballboy said:

Good point something I hadn't considered.    What would have happened if prunty had called the ref a c u next Tuesday and got sent off?  If we can't get anyone and have manager, assistant manager and goalie coach all on the pitch is 1 guy on the side ok?  Not that prunty or hutton do much most Saturdays

I think there is a rule that you have to have a certain number of qualified coaches in the dugout, maybe 2? Which is why Scott Black ended up in the dugout with Donald Jennow a few years ago, and I think is why Stevie Findlay was initially brought back to the club after the Stevie Aitchison fiasco. I assume like Scott Black, if it came to it Darren Barr or Ryan McStay from the academy could be in the dugout for a game. 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t agree with everything he says here, and he’s probably being fairer than is merited, but good on McCabe for calling out the referee out as his performance yesterday was an absolute nonsense. 

I realise it's all click bait but I have issues with "astonishing" and "rant" here. There is nothing astonishing about slating the referee. And rant? Really? I've watched the post match interview and it's nothing like this...

rant

/rant/

verb

verb: rant; 3rd person present: rants; past tense: ranted; past participle: ranted; gerund or present participle: ranting

speak or shout at length in an angry, impassioned way.

"she was still ranting on about the unfairness of it all"

He seemed very calm and measured in his words.

3 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Our development team beat Falkirk 4-2 today at Airdrie Leisure Centre. Dom Kavanagh and Bright Prince both grabbing doubles.

Bright Prince scoring twice against the Falkirk development team before grabbing another double against the men's team next weekend.

FB_IMG_1676829895876.jpg

Surely his name isn’t actually “Bright Prince”? 

42 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t agree with everything he says here, and he’s probably being fairer than is merited, but good on McCabe for calling out the referee out as his performance yesterday was an absolute nonsense. 

Might earn himself a suspension hopefully starting from next Saturday.