The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

I agree with the posts above.   We don't seem to be able to change shape and still don't have anyone on the bench that can come on and impact a game.  At 3-2 everyone around me was saying the defence needed to change.  We just looked more and more nervous as the game went on.   And now we lose smith for 3 games. 

3 games?

13 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

For a straight red it's a 3 game ban. 

Screenshot_20230211-182800_Chrome.jpg

That is in England. A straight red for dangerous tackles and violent conduct is 2 in Scotland.

I'm pretty sure it's only one for a handball, denying goalscoring opportunity type incident.

39 minutes ago, David W said:

That is in England. A straight red for dangerous tackles and violent conduct is 2 in Scotland.

I'm pretty sure it's only one for a handball, denying goalscoring opportunity type incident.

I got it from the spfl page 

Just now, airdrieman said:

Including the Dundee game, we’ve lost 13 goals from a winning or drawing position after going down to 10 men and haven’t won any of those games (v Dundee, Edinburgh and Dunfermline). Farcical isn’t it? 

Three games that were at worst even at the time of the sending off and I’d argue Airdrie were on top in all three of them. We’ve dealt with them all in different ways, going 2-5-2 against Edinburgh, resorting to the youth team against Dundee and then just playing the same way before camping on our own box with McGregor up front. The Dundee one can be excused to an extent given the circumstances but the other two were baffling decisions no one else in the stadium even thought of.  I put the first Edinburgh one down to naivety at the time but the Edinburgh game last month and today were the most obvious real lack of knowing how to see out a game. They’re different kinds of manager and Murray was obviously more experienced but there’s no way we lose that at 3-1 with him in charge.

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

even worse than us crumbling after a red card, we’ve crumbled every time we’ve gave away a penalty.

How many penalties/red cards have you conceded this season?   Without double checking I think we're on 0.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wherever you got it its still the English rule, not the Scottish. Its a 2 match ban unless its his 2nd red for that reason this season (in which case it is 3).

I thought DOGO(which it clearly was) was just 1 game ban?

I generally agree with the posts made about today on this thread, as much as I want to praise my team that felt more like an airdrie collapse than a miraculous come back from us.     You didn't have any game management and with siting so deep whenever you did get the ball it was just punted to halfway where we had 1/2 players unchallenged to collect the ball and resume the pressure.

Not impressed by McCabe’s post-match interview (as much as these things matter). Lot of talk about personal pride and dig. Mentality essentially. These things are important but there’s no acknowledgement that the mentality needed to see out a game or not completely collapse come from him - both as manager and a senior player. He needed to manage that better, either on the pitch or from dugout but the whole team were a complete shambles after the red card. I’ve called out McCabe previously for seemingly not learning from previous games or errors and it’s infuriating that this is not the first major collapse to come after receiving a red card (see my post above). To completely fall to pieces and lose all sense of shape and game plan after a forward was sent off is just inexcusable. The substitutions today showed what a complete mess that situation still is too. 

Also a worry for me that he essentially said the game wasn’t secure at 3-0. Obviously it literally wasn’t, but it’s telling that he, and presumably the rest of the team, therefore, felt that. The heads went down very quickly once Dunfermline got a goal back when they really didn’t need to. But ultimately, if you’re 3-0/3-1 up at home with half an hour to go, 10 men or not, you really should be winning! We collapse under any sort of adversity or pressure which doesn’t bode well for the play-offs. What sort of lead will we need to have in a play-off to have any chance of winning bearing in mind we lost a 3-0 goal lead in half an hour today? 

I wasn’t quite sure what he meant when he said something like we “don’t work on” when we’re panicked but he is right that any time we’re panicked or facing adversity we fold painfully easily. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Not impressed by McCabe’s post-match interview (as much as these things matter). Lot of talk about personal pride and dig. Mentality essentially. These things are important but there’s no acknowledgement that the mentality needed to see out a game or not completely collapse come from him - both as manager and a senior player. He needed to manage that better, either on the pitch or from dugout but the whole team were a complete shambles after the red card. I’ve called out McCabe previously for seemingly not learning from previous games or errors and it’s infuriating that this is not the first major collapse to come after receiving a red card (see my post above). To completely fall to pieces and lose all sense of shape and game plan after a forward was sent off is just inexcusable. The substitutions today showed what a complete mess that situation still is too. 

Also a worry for me that he essentially said the game wasn’t secure at 3-0. Obviously it literally wasn’t, but it’s telling that he, and presumably the rest of the team, therefore, felt that. The heads went down very quickly once Dunfermline got a goal back when they really didn’t need to. But ultimately, if you’re 3-0/3-1 up at home with half an hour to go, 10 men or not, you really should be winning! We collapse under any sort of adversity or pressure which doesn’t bode well for the play-offs. What sort of lead will we need to have in a play-off to have any chance of winning bearing in mind we lost a 3-0 goal lead in half an hour today? 

I wasn’t quite sure what he meant when he said something like we “don’t work on” when we’re panicked but he is right that any time we’re panicked or facing adversity we fold painfully easily. 

Usually the extended interview is up tomorrow. I'll comment on here about what my thoughts are on his full interview. (Difficult to gauge for a 1 minute 47 second twitter video). 

Would like to think the manager take responsibility and accountability for the defeat today, hoping he acknowledges that in the interview too. 

You're right to say that collapse today was inexcusable.

Gabby McGill said in his interview that he didn't think that it was a penalty or a sending off, couldn't see it at the game will need to see it once the highlights are up.

Ultimately, we were unlucky to lose a penalty and have a player sent off. It's bad luck. The collapse that followed was not luck but a combo of piss poor game management from us and excellent pressure from Dunfermline. Its the tale of their season to be fair. They've done what is required to get the poi ta to be top of the league. Not always pretty but they grins out results when it matters most. That's something we struggle to do. We always collapse when it counts the most. 

27 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Pretty much spot on..     Credit to champions elect Dunfermline,   McPake who is not known for his tactical prowess,   played a bl inder especially with his subs,   Hamilton and Chalmers couldn't handle Friz and Telfer,  that 25 minute spell in the first half Airdrie were as good as we can be,  Dunfermline couldn't live with us at that time,     2nd Half even with 11 men, we defended too deep both full backs were atrocious defensively especially Ballantyne,  we got the 3rd against the run of play,  to be honest the 3 goal lead could have went up I n smoke even with 11 men we just seemed maxed out at times with the lead landlocked leadership.   McPake kept on making progressive subs,  we were A shambles and McCabe must take the flak for it,  Dunfermline were so comfortable they took off Breen and put o n O Hara up front,  If Sal was introduced and let's be honest we needed him, we could gain some territory , up the park etc.   We were only one man down although we played as if we had 8 men...     This was a free hit today, with no ground lost,  worryingly though we have showed all other teams  our weakness under pressure....

Don't think enough has been made about the first sub after the sending off. There's a reason Devenny has hardly featured this season and that's because he's not good enough. A complete waste of a jersey that was chasing shadows and nothing else despite being our freshest set of legs. Ultimately that comes down to the poor decision making by the manager to day and poor summer recruitment. Not fucking good enough.