The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I know people have beef with McCall, and that’s possibly fair enough. I was only 5 when he was in charge though so I’ve just no knowledge of or reference point for it! My first game was 20 minutes of McCall’s team at least… 

As someone else said, he’s exactly the sort of manager that would get us out of this division. It’s immaterial though as I can’t see it happening. Not necessarily because he’s outwith our range but it’s more a timing issue and the fact McCabe won’t be going any time before the end of the season. 

On 11/02/2023 at 22:54, Diamond8 said:

Don't think enough has been made about the first sub after the sending off. There's a reason Devenny has hardly featured this season and that's because he's not good enough. A complete waste of a jersey that was chasing shadows and nothing else despite being our freshest set of legs. Ultimately that comes down to the poor decision making by the manager to day and poor summer recruitment. Not fucking good enough.

Absolute rubbish.

I assume you weren't at any games at the start of the season because he was one of our best players. Also you say he hardly featured but he has played 21 times in the league and started almost every game until the more experienced telfer came in. Not to mention the fact that he's still only 19.

He wasn't good on Saturday but to completely write him off based on that is just bizarre.

2 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Absolute rubbish.

I assume you weren't at any games at the start of the season because he was one of our best players. Also you say he hardly featured but he has played 21 times in the league and started almost every game until the more experienced telfer came in. Not to mention the fact that he's still only 19.

He wasn't good on Saturday but to completely write him off based on that is just bizarre.

Think if I was Watson though I would be looking for another club that he can be trusted to come on ,never seen a manager so clueless when a team scores against us ,

6 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Absolute rubbish.

Early season, he was on fire and looked at real prospect but it's fair to say his progress has stalled and looks nowhere near the starting 11 at the moment. Lets hope he can regain his confidence and progress further, and absolutely way to early to write him off.

On 12/02/2023 at 17:28, airdrieman said:

I believe we have only won one game all season (Montrose away) in which the opposition has scored. Just another indicator of our pathetic lack of resilience. 

I had a look at our record of points gained/lost after the first goal. I think we’ve gained seven points after conceding first (1 v Dunfermline, Queens, Peterhead and Falkirk, 3 v Montrose) and lost nine after scoring first (2 v Queens, 3 v Edinburgh and Dunfermline, 1 v Kelty). The concerning thing for me there is that in the last six games we’ve lost out on seven points from winning positions, spectacularly so on two occasions. That’s a record that isn’t sustainable. I think I preferred back when as long as we scored first we didn’t lose!

On the subject of Ian McCall, I watched David Hutton on one of the Open Goal podcasts that was posted on YouTube a couple of days ago.

He said that he has no input on the dugout and only tells substitutes to get ready when the manager shouts over to him.

Slaney asked him 'who was your worst manager' and he said Ian McCall. 

McCall definitely ticks all the boxes of a manager that would get you out of this league.

Hopefully with today the first training session over , the team can remain United and move forward, remember after the 6 nil Edinburgh debacle our confidence dropped like a stone for a few games,  we can I'll afford similar massive games coming up....

Rhys who I am big admirer of,   must lead from the front this week,  The after match interview was very poor throwing his team under a bus,  when actually when watching the game back, he was as culpable as anyone, (don't roll your eyes I will get to the point eventually). McCabe likes to play the deep lying playmaker and he plays that role very well with Friz Telfer and Smith ahead of him,  when Smith IMO was unfortunate to be red carded,   McCabe went into self preservation mode and dropped into the middle of the defence splitting Fordyce and ATS,  this just invited pressure leaving us short in midfield,  with Telfer and Friz ( Devenny) getting outnumbered,   we played like we had 8 men not 10 men,  there was no need for McCabe to drop back,  he should have stepped up to 'initiate contact' with the opposition and set our stall out,  again we just collapsed, waiting for the inevitable....

Leadership is not normally something that can be hung on McCabe,  he has to show it now,  this is getting to the business end of the season..

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

On the subject of Ian McCall, I watched David Hutton on one of the Open Goal podcasts that was posted on YouTube a couple of days ago.

He said that he has no input on the dugout and only tells substitutes to get ready when the manager shouts over to him.

Slaney asked him 'who was your worst manager' and he said Ian McCall. 

McCall definitely ticks all the boxes of a manager that would get you out of this league.

I considered watching it but couldn’t handle a full hour, so thank you for taking one for the team! That does fit with what we see every week but good to have that confirmed.

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I considered watching it but couldn’t handle a full hour, so thank you for taking one for the team! That does fit with what we see every week but good to have that confirmed.

Hutton was only on for half the programme and I did skim through the video to see if he mentioned anything Airdrie related. Luckily enough I was working in the background so Slaney and Kevin Kyle's sh*te patter was just background noise. 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hopefully with today the first training session over , the team can remain United and move forward, remember after the 6 nil Edinburgh debacle our confidence dropped like a stone for a few games,  we can I'll afford similar massive games coming up....

Rhys who I am big admirer of,   must lead from the front this week,  The after match interview was very poor throwing his team under a bus,  when actually when watching the game back, he was as culpable as anyone, (don't roll your eyes I will get to the point eventually). McCabe likes to play the deep lying playmaker and he plays that role very well with Friz Telfer and Smith ahead of him,  when Smith IMO was unfortunate to be red carded,   McCabe went into self preservation mode and dropped into the middle of the defence splitting Fordyce and ATS,  this just invited pressure leaving us short in midfield,  with Telfer and Friz ( Devenny) getting outnumbered,   we played like we had 8 men not 10 men,  there was no need for McCabe to drop back,  he should have stepped up to 'initiate contact' with the opposition and set our stall out,  again we just collapsed, waiting for the inevitable....

Leadership is not normally something that can be hung on McCabe,  he has to show it now,  this is getting to the business end of the season..

Falkirk showed what they were made off last night , certainly looking a better team now,

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

On another subject, that Darvel manager don't half talk some shiite!

I remember people complaining about Murray not being enthusiastic enough when they showed him doing one on A View From the Terrace a few years ago. Give me that over the contrived for the cameras nonsense he was hitting out with.

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I remember people complaining about Murray not being enthusiastic enough when they showed him doing one on A View From the Terrace a few years ago. Give me that over the contrived for the cameras nonsense he was hitting out with.

He watched Braveheart 3 times before speech,

On 13/02/2023 at 18:36, David Fernández said:

Ludicrous situation. Marx brothers esque.