The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Who’s responsible for your side’s game management? You and Fordyce are the manager, assistant manager, captain, the two most senior players and play in the spine of the team. McCabe talks a lot about stopping crosses. And I don’t think he’s necessarily wrong about that in this game or across the season in general. But we conceded more goals from Saturday from in and around the edge of box and McCabe’s MO as a deep lying midfielder should be stopping them. Where’s him fronting up about this? Likewise Fordyce who was playing in Saturday’s defence so has a cheek to be bollocking anyone. And if stopping crosses, receiving red cards and penalties are a recurring problem this season why are they still or what are we doing to solve this problem? He’s taking the piss too when he says we could have made sure the game was dead and buried. We were 3-0 up at home with half an hour to go! Terrible refusal to take any responsibility. 

14 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

funny feeling we'll pick up 2 points from the next 3 games.

If we can come out of the next 3 games still in the top 4 then I'd be reasonably happy as after that there is, on paper, a favourable run of fixtures.

Confidence after last Saturday is all important but we shouldn't forget we were excellent in the first half.

Edited by Kenny_m

Well it's part 2 of the Dunfermline double header and confidence must have taken a hit and anything we get tomorrow will be a bonus. Team selection we know will change as Smith is missing who's work rate and pace will be badly missed and I would expect Stanway to come into the starting 11 to replace him with a tweak in the formation. I would also expect Watson to come in for ATS.

On 15/02/2023 at 17:35, Kenny_m said:

If we can come out of the next 3 games still in the top 4 then I'd be reasonably happy as after that there is, on paper, a favourable run of fixtures.

Confidence after last Saturday is all important but we shouldn't forget we were excellent in the first half.

The score could genuinely be anything, not just tomorrow but in all our games. It's frustrating but like you say, we were excellent for an hour last week and showed we can get a result tomorrow. I think Dunfermline will win but I'd be happy with a draw and then a win at home v Falkirk next week. 

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The score could genuinely be anything, not just tomorrow but in all our games. It's frustrating but like you say, we were excellent for an hour last week and showed we can get a result tomorrow. I think Dunfermline will win but I'd be happy with a draw and then a win at home v Falkirk next week. 

In reality we're in a mini league of 5 fighting for 2 play off slots. I'm still confident we will make it comfortably but a little fearful of the next 2 games, followed by a tricky away fixture to QOS that we don't slump into a rut.

9 hours ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Tell your Section B to lay off the Norrie stuff. Absolute cretins. 

After your kind words. They might well ask you to keep quiet during the game..

Seriously  that's like putting a red rag in front of a bull.     Your post is shocking....

I remember the intense rivalry of the late 80s and early 90s , there was genuine hatred back then,    Norrie,  Gary Thompson,  Stevie Morrison, even John  Watson and a very young Jackie McNamara always got the wrath of the Airdrie faithful,   nowadays there is virtually no rivalry or hatred between the teams.....

13 hours ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Tell your Section B to lay off the Norrie stuff. Absolute cretins. 

Talk about being stuck in the past!!   I also have never heard anyone mention this in the last 20 years.  Nobody cares about you,  norrie or poorly maintained gas appliances.    

26 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Talk about being stuck in the past!!   I also have never heard anyone mention this in the last 20 years.  Nobody cares about you,  norrie or poorly maintained gas appliances.    

Or playing away from home!

It’s criminal that we never signed another proper centre half for the first team this season. It’s been said a few times by myself and others but relying on either Watson or ATS (two full backs) to play next to Dycey isn’t good enough. ATS is fine, and I like Watson at right back but it’s just such an obvious weakness in the squad. Was hoping that Lachie Byrd might have been brought in to go straight into the first team but a few weeks later it certainly doesn’t seem that way.

Interesting that McCabe’s went for Stanway and a change of shape to replace Smith rather than a straight swap and McGregor. We’ve looked good playing the narrow midfield diamond with a front two in the past so I think it could work well.

20 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

It’s criminal that we never signed another proper centre half for the first team this season. It’s been said a few times by myself and others but relying on either Watson or ATS (two full backs) to play next to Dycey isn’t good enough. ATS is fine, and I like Watson at right back but it’s just such an obvious weakness in the squad. Was hoping that Lachie Byrd might have been brought in to go straight into the first team but a few weeks later it certainly doesn’t seem that way.

Interesting that McCabe’s went for Stanway and a change of shape to replace Smith rather than a straight swap and McGregor. We’ve looked good playing the narrow midfield diamond with a front two in the past so I think it could work well.

Aye, Lachie brought to strengthen team,manager must not see it that way.I would have started him in his natural position, certainty a big lad.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye, Lachie brought to strengthen team,manager must not see it that way.I would have started him in his natural position, certainty a big lad.

He's just came in from another continent, he's hardly going to get thrown in for his first start away to top of the league 

9 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

He's just came in from another continent, he's hardly going to get thrown in for his first start away to top of the league 

Been here for a month or so ,no getting on about manager but if he not good enough he should not be here,It's the bench or lack off quality on it lets us down every week .

10 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Been here for a month or so ,no getting on about manager but if he not good enough he should not be here,It's the bench or lack off quality on it lets us down every week .

He's only 20, is thought to have a lot of potential and needs time to settle in. Not everyone is brought in to play every game straight away and there is nothing wrong with that.

19 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

He's only 20, is thought to have a lot of potential and needs time to settle in. Not everyone is brought in to play every game straight away and there is nothing wrong with that.

20 year old is to young ,some of them on the bench will be waiting for a while yet then,

Interesting to see what McCabe does with the goalkeeper situation next week. It's clear from McCabe bringing in Johnson, Henderson and Lyness when Rae got injured that he has no faith in Hutton. The fact he was happy to let Henderson and Lyness leave when Rae came back suggests that he either has some sort of back-up plan in mind with an emergency loan, or that he was just hoping to save a wage and get lucky with Rae not getting injured or suspended.

It's impossible to make that call without knowing the options, but I'd definitely be looking to bring someone in.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Interesting to see what McCabe does with the goalkeeper situation next week. It's clear from McCabe bringing in Johnson, Henderson and Lyness when Rae got injured that he has no faith in Hutton. The fact he was happy to let Henderson and Lyness leave when Rae came back suggests that he either has some sort of back-up plan in mind with an emergency loan, or that he was just hoping to save a wage and get lucky with Rae not getting injured or suspended.

It's impossible to make that call without knowing the options, but I'd definitely be looking to bring someone in.

Yeah, I said it on the match thread but while Hutton had his moment today, I think bringing someone in seems sensible. We at least need someone to cover the bench, as you can never rule out Hutton doing something mad and getting sent off, but I can see us bringing in a young keeper on an emergency loan for the week. It’s a gamble either way. 

There can’t be too many times a keeper has been booked two games in a row, sent off in one and debatably should have been sent off in the other. Hutton must be rubbing off on him.