The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Four keepers, Rhys? Four? That’s insane.

Strange on many levels but Rhys must seriously want to continue playing football in our own 6 yard box.

Henderson - If his confidence was low then it's even lower now.                                                                                                                                  Hutton - Playing career must be over.                                                                                                                                                                                      Rae - His injury must be long term.

11 minutes ago, Mr November said:

With one crocked for an undetermined period, one’s over 40 and can hardly run & the other 18 and no confidence, this is the first astute bit of squad building since they resigned Frizzell.

Seems to have journeyed around the lower reaches of the English & Scottish lower leagues without ever really being number 1 anywhere. Presumably this is a short term deal to cover Rae’s injury.

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

In fairness he's been pretty unlucky with that. Rae was a good signing (on paper anyway, not seen the guy play) but gets a bad injury. Hutton was signed primarily as a goalkeeper coach, it's clear from the fact we got a 17 year old emergency loan and then played an 18 year old in nets that McCabe had no intention of ever playing Hutton this season. And Henderson is/would be fine as a young back-up to fill in for the odd game but it's too big a gamble to go with a young keeper like that for potentially the whole season.

No idea what this new guy is like so we'll see what happens but I wouldn't really criticise the recruitment on the goalkeeper front.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

7 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

With one crocked for an undetermined period, one’s over 40 and can hardly run & the other 18 and no confidence, this is the first astute bit of squad building since they resigned Frizzell.

Seems to have journeyed around the lower reaches of the English & Scottish lower leagues without ever really being number 1 anywhere. Presumably this is a short term deal to cover Rae’s injury.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59662090

Seems to have always been a backup but man of the match vs Celtic once

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In fairness he's been pretty unlucky with that. Rae was a good signing (on paper anyway, not seen the guy play) but gets a bad injury. Hutton was signed primarily as a goalkeeper coach, it's clear from the fact we got a 17 year old emergency loan and then played an 18 year old in nets that McCabe had no intention of ever playing Hutton this season. And Henderson is/would be fine as a young back-up to fill in for the odd game but it's too big a gamble to go with a young keeper like that for potentially the whole season.

No idea what this new guy is like so we'll see what happens but I wouldn't really criticise the recruitment on the goalkeeper front.

Oh I completely agree, I just wanted to make a Peep Show joke while I could. Henderson has done fine for his age and lack of experience but there’s always a risk with young keepers that playing them through a poor run of form can dent their confidence. If Rae is going to be out for a while then an experienced keeper is definitely welcomed.

Seems like a fair signing. I like Henderson but if it gets him out the firing line for a bit fair enough. We saw previously with Rohan Ferguson the damage a poor run of form can do to an 18 year old keeper (from the team if not necessarily him). Hope it’s an astute piece of business. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We really needed a keeper, Rae not going to be fit for a while yet. Young keeper is exactly that, had a few good saves for us and a few scary moments, 

56 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Is he even able to register?Only got released by St Mirren this week, my understanding was that you had to be a free agent at the end of the August window to sign for a club outside transfer windows.

I thought the same.

We had to wait until January to sign Paul Watson who released around this time.

From Wikipedia if it can be believed:

Lyness returned to St Mirren on a two-year deal in June 2019, after leaving the club less than a year before,[48] however it was announced on 6th October 2022[49] that Lyness and St Mirren had, again, parted company.

Good signing in my opinion, not because Henderson is poor, simply due to the fact that other sides will start to 'target' the young boy as we have seen with the winner at Alloa.

21 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

I thought the same.

We had to wait until January to sign Paul Watson who released around this time.

This is just a guess but I imagine it’s probably to do with not playing or not being in a squad yet this season. I think the rule is that players can’t move after 31st of August if they’ve been registered to another team. I’m not sure how registration works, if a registered squad list needs to be sent to the SPFL or if being named in a match-day squad automatically registers you, but it seems to me that if a player is not used by his club and is then released he doesn’t count as having been registered before the required date.

27 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Seems it’s an emergency loan deal.

He was released by St Mirren a couple of days ago. I don’t think we’d qualify for an emergency loan since we have both Henderson and Hutton both registered and uninjured.

Shame it’s only ever goalies you can get on an emergency loan. If the SPFL looked at our squad they’d surely let us claim an emergency to get a centre half or a forward in.

”Can we please get a player in on an emergency loan?”

”Sure, what’s the emergency?”

”We’re shite.”

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds