The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

17 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The strip looked alright but quality wise looks and feels terrible,  what makes the strip look worse though is supporters buying the wrong size it doesn't cost anymore to size up ffs .....

Sorry mate but that’s a pretty shitty thing to say. It’s hard enough for people in life to feel comfy about body image and how they look without patter like that. One of the very reasons I would never entertain an Airdrie top is my size but if others feel comfy doing it good on them. 

5 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Sorry mate but that’s a pretty shitty thing to say. It’s hard enough for people in life to feel comfy about body image and how they look without patter like that. One of the very reasons I would never entertain an Airdrie top is my size but if others feel comfy doing it good on them. 

Apologies if I have offended your goodself,   I am not particularly svelte myself, but I do buy clothes that fit me.   Let's not let this deflect from the major issues. Eh....

The one thing that occurred to me yesterday was that we don’t have a player in our team that could score from 20-30 yards. Any time our midfielders or strikers size up a shot from outside the box it ends up being a pass back… and this leads to us overplaying around the 18-yard line.

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Apologies if I have offended your goodself,   I am not particularly svelte myself, but I do buy clothes that fit me.   Let's not let this deflect from the major issues. Eh....

Is it the managers way or the highway, beginning to look like it, slipping down league, 

Agree that we may miss Agnew. We don’t have an experienced and street-wise midfielder that’s not afraid to get stuck in and it may be harming us. McCabe could play that role, but I’m really not sure about Watson or ATS at centre back, and I’d like to see ATS start games at left back if I’m honest because I thought he looked decent when he came on. McMaster was billed as a defensive midfielder and I thought he had a good first half yesterday but a poorer second half. He’s very young and really slight too so it’d take a lot for him to replicate Agnew’s role imo. Telfer has a bit more experience but doesn’t look like a player you could ever coach a bit of fight into. Thought he was excellent in the win against Clyde but he’s been poor since then. Could Devenny play that role? We’d miss him higher up probably and for me he’s been one of our best players this season but he does have a bit more dig about him than others.

55 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/look-erling-haaland-manchester-city-28188414

Instead of tightening up the defence, apparently we should be taking up inspiration from Erling Haaland.

Aye, McCabe could be on to something there ... top clubs having better players (than our level) ... knows his stuff Rhys does.

Enjoyed the game yesterday though, but no doubt both sets of fans thought they could have taken all three points.  As one of your posters has pointed out elsewhere, Airdrie do leave too much space in front of the defence which invites trouble.

If only Lee Connelly had thought he was Erling Haaland when through on goal second half ... dream on, eh?

With Wylie officially back to Celtic that’s us down to 14 outfield players, and that’s including the injured Frizzell and suspended Ballantyne. Surely we’ve still got to be looking to bring in some free agents. There’s still some names on the PFA Player Availability List though I can’t say I know any of them. I think Efe Ambrose is still without a club and we’re probably about his level these days.

3 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

On the bright side, that’s Calum Gallagher leading the division’s goalscoring charts.

And to think there’s still folk within the support who don’t think he’s good enough.

Could Gallagher be the Haalandesque striker McCabe is so desperate for?

With Wylie officially back to Celtic that’s us down to 14 outfield players, and that’s including the injured Frizzell and suspended Ballantyne. Surely we’ve still got to be looking to bring in some free agents. There’s still some names on the PFA Player Availability List though I can’t say I know any of them. I think Efe Ambrose is still without a club and we’re probably about his level these days.
A centre back pairing of Efe Ambrose and Aaron Taylor Sinclair is the stuff of dreams.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/look-erling-haaland-manchester-city-28188414

Instead of tightening up the defence, apparently we should be taking up inspiration from Erling Haaland.

Instead of having a plan B, it looks like we will just be trying to execute plan A better.

He is a wee bit out our price range on about 900,000 a week, 

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Instead of having a plan B, it looks like we will just be trying to execute plan A better.

If I’m not mistaken we’re averaging around 2 goals a game and at home it’s just under 3 so I don’t think scoring goals is the problem. That should be enough to win you most games you play. We’ve scored 4,5 and 3 goals on three separate occasions at home and we’ve only failed to score in 2/10 league games. Gal and Smith have 10 between them after one quarter + 1 game and McGill, Jamieson and Salim have another 7 between them. Not to mention the goals amongst the rest of the squad. I mean sure, if we can score even more goals then we probably will win more games. But if that’s what McCabe genuinely thinks is the root of the issue then he’s wildly misjudged the issues with the squad and style of football and you could even infer that he’s going to go fully the other way and play even more open which would be mental. Admittedly that is the opposite of what he said yesterday post-match. To score 3 goals at home and 2 at Links Park in the one week and not even take 3-4 points is poor and suggests that scoring goals or being clinical isn’t the issue. 

Edited by airdrieman

36 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I wonder what the score is with the Northern Irish boys? They were warming up yesterday and last week with first team kit including squad numbers (12 & 24) and were sitting in a box with Rae and Frizzell, again with full club gear on. Clearly they’re meant to be part of the overall first team picture but it’s a joke that they’ve been around since the NLL Cup at least and they still haven’t been signed/registered? Get them signed and on the bench. 

25 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I wonder what the score is with the Northern Irish boys? They were warming up yesterday and last week with first team kit including squad numbers (12 & 24) and were sitting in a box with Rae and Frizzell, again with full club gear on. Clearly they’re meant to be part of the overall first team picture but it’s a joke that they’ve been around since the NLL Cup at least and they still haven’t been signed/registered? Get them signed and on the bench. 

Are Irish boys playing  today with development team?? 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Someone at the club has to explain why we have so little players. 14 outfield players is a joke and if it's Rhys's decision then he's clearly not ready for management, I doubt it is though.

30 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Someone at the club has to explain why we have so little players. 14 outfield players is a joke and if it's Rhys's decision then he's clearly not ready for management, I doubt it is though.

Certainly be struggling next week with Ballantyne and Frizzell out for sure. 

16 hours ago, airdrieman said:

It was unreal the amount of times their players picked up the ball in acres of space in the middle of the park, down the flanks or on the edge of the box.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head . Its not necessarly the defence it’s the midfield leaves them woefully exposed. McMaster attempted 3-4 half hearted sliding tackles that he had no chance of success with - token efforts. We lost almost every 50/50 in the middle too. Gear too lightweight in the middle of the park.