The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

When Frizzel is back, what's the thoughts about how the team changes? Swapping Telfer or Justin D straight out for Frizz would seem the obvious, but alternatively we could reshape to a back three, those three in the middle, wing backs either side and then you've got a choice of four forwards (Gal, LJ, Smithy and Gabby) for a front 2. 

Other variations upon those themes would also be possible, but it will be interesting, assuming we go with the same 11 again on Saturday, to see how we go about reorganising to get Frizz back in, which we undoubtedly will and should do once he's fit. 

Great chance to go three wins on the bounce coming up, and then you'd hope to make it a clean sweep of league games at home to Kelty (by no means a gimmie) which would be much more like it. A trip to Dundee in the cup notwithstanding, going into December with four wins on the bounce would be massively helpful, given the fixtures we face that month. 

For me it has to be a straight swap with Frizzel going in for Telfer. Reasons being that the team has held two consecutive clean sheets, so why change it at the back?

Secondly, I'm not convinced at all by Telfer so far. The main reason being that he loses too many personal and physical battles in midfield for my liking. Don't know whether this is a lack of phsicality or commitment or a combination of both.

Frizz is also offering more of a goal threat by running at the opposing back line. Something I've never seen Telfer remotely capable of.

2 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

For me it has to be a straight swap with Frizzel going in for Telfer. Reasons being that the team has held two consecutive clean sheets, so why change it at the back?

Secondly, I'm not convinced at all by Telfer so far. The main reason being that he loses too many personal and physical battles in midfield for my liking. Don't know whether this is a lack of phsicality or commitment or a combination of both.

Frizz is also offering more of a goal threat by running at the opposing back line. Something I've never seen Telfer remotely capable of.

I'd agree, Frizz for Telfer, but that's largely on the basis that throughout August we saw a lot to like about the way Frizz and Justin D worked together and, like you, I don't see much reason to change the defence. Frizz is our best midfielder, in my opinion, and I think he's one of if not the best in the entire division, so it's not even a question of it he comes in, just who he comes in for and if that changes the shape any. 

When Frizzell comes back I still think we should stick with a 3-5-2;

Lyness

Ballantyne        Watson     McCabe     Fordyce      E Deveney

J Devenny                    Frizzell

Telfer

Gallagher                   Jamieson

The reasons being I think our best performances of the season have came in that formation which has made us more solid and less open. For me the best performances of the season have been St Mirren, large parts of the second half against Dunfermline and Montrose. 

Looking at the league table we are currently have the highest goals scored in the league at 26 but have shipped in 21, in comparison Montrose and Dunfermline have conceded 14 and 7.

I'd have Telfer in a no.10 position as he's clearly not a ball winning midfielder, I think we'd get far more out of him playing him in a more advanced position where he would contribute to some goals and assists. Whilst clearly not in the same level as Frizzell and Easton last season, his time at Falkirk shows that he contribute further up the park.

Whilst i'm a big fan of Callum Smith especially his work rate I think Gallagher and LJ would be our best front two, they will get you goals and are the best finishers in the team. Going forward we look very good especially when Gabby comes back from his injury and also Salim from his loan can contribute which gives us great options.

Defensively Euan Deveney's best performances have came in a back 3, he's good going forward similar to Cammy and as we have no natural wingers would provide good width. Watson's best games this season have also came at centre back with McCabe dropping as a sweeper at times and defensive mid and with Dycey next to him.

In January I think the key positions to strengthen would be a defensive midfielder and a natural centre half as we only have Fordyce. Those positions are key if we are looking to be in the play offs or up there at the end of the season.

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

When Frizzel is back, what's the thoughts about how the team changes? Swapping Telfer or Justin D straight out for Frizz would seem the obvious, but alternatively we could reshape to a back three, those three in the middle, wing backs either side and then you've got a choice of four forwards (Gal, LJ, Smithy and Gabby) for a front 2. 

Other variations upon those themes would also be possible, but it will be interesting, assuming we go with the same 11 again on Saturday, to see how we go about reorganising to get Frizz back in, which we undoubtedly will and should do once he's fit. 

Great chance to go three wins on the bounce coming up, and then you'd hope to make it a clean sweep of league games at home to Kelty (by no means a gimmie) which would be much more like it. A trip to Dundee in the cup notwithstanding, going into December with four wins on the bounce would be massively helpful, given the fixtures we face that month. 

Pretty sure Rhys stated in a DTV interview that it would be around 8 weeks and no doubt he'll need phased back gradually so it's unlikely we'll get 90 mins from him pre-xmas. A very important player but even more important we don't rush him back to early.

I hope his return does spark Justin back to what he showed at the start of the season as there is no doubt his performances have dropped considerably.

14 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Pretty sure Rhys stated in a DTV interview that it would be around 8 weeks and no doubt he'll need phased back gradually so it's unlikely we'll get 90 mins from him pre-xmas. A very important player but even more important we don't rush him back to early.

I hope his return does spark Justin back to what he showed at the start of the season as there is no doubt his performances have dropped considerably.

He should be back for the Falkirk game. 

16 hours ago, David Fernández said:

When Frizzell comes back I still think we should stick with a 3-5-2;

Lyness

Ballantyne        Watson     McCabe     Fordyce      E Deveney

J Devenny                    Frizzell

Telfer

Gallagher                   Jamieson

The reasons being I think our best performances of the season have came in that formation which has made us more solid and less open. For me the best performances of the season have been St Mirren, large parts of the second half against Dunfermline and Montrose. 

Looking at the league table we are currently have the highest goals scored in the league at 26 but have shipped in 21, in comparison Montrose and Dunfermline have conceded 14 and 7.

I'd have Telfer in a no.10 position as he's clearly not a ball winning midfielder, I think we'd get far more out of him playing him in a more advanced position where he would contribute to some goals and assists. Whilst clearly not in the same level as Frizzell and Easton last season, his time at Falkirk shows that he contribute further up the park.

Whilst i'm a big fan of Callum Smith especially his work rate I think Gallagher and LJ would be our best front two, they will get you goals and are the best finishers in the team. Going forward we look very good especially when Gabby comes back from his injury and also Salim from his loan can contribute which gives us great options.

Defensively Euan Deveney's best performances have came in a back 3, he's good going forward similar to Cammy and as we have no natural wingers would provide good width. Watson's best games this season have also came at centre back with McCabe dropping as a sweeper at times and defensive mid and with Dycey next to him.

In January I think the key positions to strengthen would be a defensive midfielder and a natural centre half as we only have Fordyce. Those positions are key if we are looking to be in the play offs or up there at the end of the season.

I can see the logic, but I do think we'd badly miss Smithy. Could he play in that number 10 role behind the front two? Could Jamieson, with Smith and Gal the two up top? 

I can see the logic, but I do think we'd badly miss Smithy. Could he play in that number 10 role behind the front two? Could Jamieson, with Smith and Gal the two up top? 
Wouldn't be opposed to Smith playing in a no.10 position in place of Telfer. I think LJ would be better being our more advanced striker purely for his finishing and his ability to press the opposition defenders and goalkeepers. Some Clyde posters were spot on saying he's far better through the centre. I think LJ and Smithy are far more ineffective bring forced out wide in a 4-3-3.

19 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
34 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Wouldn't be opposed to Smith playing in a no.10 position in place of Telfer. I think LJ would be better being our more advanced striker purely for his finishing and his ability to press the opposition defenders and goalkeepers. Some Clyde posters were spot on saying he's far better through the centre. I think LJ and Smithy are far more ineffective bring forced out wide in a 4-3-3.

I can see that argument, but I actually feel Smithy is a more effective presser than Jamieson. That being said, Smithy's workrate and tenacity probably means he'd be better in the 10 than Jamieson would. I suppose no reason it can't be fluid, if they are diligent enough and keep each other honest. 

Smith does like to go from out to in, those trademark cuts ins across the face of the box which so often ended in a goal second half of last season being cases in point, but I agree regards Jamieson, he looked more effective in his role versus Montrose the other week than when he's played wider. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

I can see that argument, but I actually feel Smithy is a more effective presser than Jamieson. That being said, Smithy's workrate and tenacity probably means he'd be better in the 10 than Jamieson would. I suppose no reason it can't be fluid, if they are diligent enough and keep each other honest. 

Smith does like to go from out to in, those trademark cuts ins across the face of the box which so often ended in a goal second half of last season being cases in point, but I agree regards Jamieson, he looked more effective in his role versus Montrose the other week than when he's played wider. 

Calum Smith will always be a first pick in our current squad, wherever he plays.

I’d have Frizzell as a straight swap for Devenny when he’s back, but in time I could easily come to prefer Devenny over Telfer. Wouldn’t change the shape from the last couple of games either. I’d keep the back 4 with Gallagher and Jamieson as a forward pairing.

I’d start Smith at left back before I ever dreamed of dropping him, that’s how highly I value his work rate and commitment.

8 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’d have Frizzell as a straight swap for Devenny when he’s back, but in time I could easily come to prefer Devenny over Telfer. Wouldn’t change the shape from the last couple of games either. I’d keep the back 4 with Gallagher and Jamieson as a forward pairing.

I’d start Smith at left back before I ever dreamed of dropping him, that’s how highly I value his work rate and commitment.

Oh Smith playing left back, what a team we are for using the shoehorn, I do agree his workrate is what should be expected from all the team, its the end product that seems to be missing most weeks, 

15 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Oh Smith playing left back, what a team we are for using the shoehorn, I do agree his workrate is what should be expected from all the team, its the end product that seems to be missing most weeks, 

Quite simply, if he had the end product he wouldn't be here.

The left back comment might have been a little tongue in cheek!

Edited by Kenny_m

Telfer too lightweight for me and, apart from Montrose game, we haven't played well recently. The Clyde game was as torturous to watch than the Edinburgh game. Too cautious, not direct enough, not quick enough. My heart is in my mouth every time we concede a corner too! That said, recent clean sheets and points in the bag are a positive but, without Frizz, I fear for us against Falkirk and Dunfermline. 

Edited by CHEMOMAN

7 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Calum Smith will always be a first pick in our current squad, wherever he plays.

6 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

6 hours ago, AndyDD said:

And quite right, too. 

This this and this.

Callum Smith even when off the boil will bring an attitude that's sorely lacking in a lot of guys at this level. 

You can see his determination and effort in every game, leaves nothing in the park.

13 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

This this and this.

Callum Smith even when off the boil will bring an attitude that's sorely lacking in a lot of guys at this level. 

You can see his determination and effort in every game, leaves nothing in the park.

This is his league right enough,