The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

26 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

That only goes so far i'm afraid as borne out by the fact their bottom of the league.

Oh, and we are miles better, not, nearly every week we are shown up for our lack of grit, once again more than double the chances to score but failed to take them, 

On 12/11/2022 at 04:03, Diamonds02 said:

I feel sorry for gary as it's not his fault he's just in a very unfortunate situation

It's not his fault? Whose fault was it then? Is he a string puppet with a big hand working him from the sky? Of course it's his fault. He consciously did what he did.

Does it deserve the punishment it's got? Probably not. Is it an over-reaction all round? Certainly. But it's entirely a situation of his own making.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not his fault? Whose fault was it then? Is he a string puppet with a big hand working him from the sky? Of course it's his fault. He consciously did what he did.

Does it deserve the punishment it's got? Probably not. Is it an over-reaction all round? Certainly. But it's entirely a situation of his own making.

I think you’ve answered your own question there. Had Gary done this at any time in the last 50 years he would not have had any kind of ban!! However with the Quitongo tribunal still in process the club want to be seen to take action against any complaint made.

Agree with your point that he’s responsible for his own actions. Just don’t think any Scottish Football Fan would have thought this would have been a foreseeable reaction. 

Only last August Football Nation gave a you Airdrie Fan a free jersey for saying on a video clip Airdrie 2 Motherwell 0….. F*#% Motherwell (accompanied by a middle digit).

Granted that was funny because it was a wee boy and the dad hastily ended the video message. Even Motherwell fans saw the funny side of it in the Comments Section.

Bit of a sea change in 15 months

Edited by CapitalDiamond

24 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I think you’ve answered your own question there. Had Gary done this at any time in the last 50 years he would not have had any kind of ban!! However with the Quitongo tribunal still in process the club want to be seen to take action against any complaint made.

Agree with your point that he’s responsible for his own actions. Just don’t think any Scottish Football Fan would have thought this would have been a foreseeable reaction. 

Only last August Football Nation gave a you Airdrie Fan a free jersey for saying on a video clip Airdrie 2 Motherwell 0….. F*#% Motherwell (accompanied by a middle digit).

Granted that was funny because it was a wee boy and the dad hastily ended the video message. Even Motherwell fans saw the funny side of it in the Comments Section.

Bit of a sea change in 15 months

I don't disagree with anything you've said there. As a parent who has regularly had his own child as a mascot over the years, if the photographer was daft enough to take a photo in front of a crowd, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone banned for making a gesture behind them (and any self respecting photographer these days would have digitally edited it out before publishing it too).

My point was in response to @Diamonds02 saying "it's not his fault". Over-reaction or not, it's 100% his fault. I suspect it's just really badly phrased and not really what he meant to say but the notion that anyone else is to blame for it is nonsense. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't disagree with anything you've said there. As a parent who has regularly had his own child as a mascot over the years, if the photographer was daft enough to take a photo in front of a crowd, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone banned for making a gesture behind them (and any self respecting photographer these days would have digitally edited it out before publishing it too).

My point was in response to @Diamonds02 saying "it's not his fault". Over-reaction or not, it's 100% his fault. I suspect it's just really badly phrased and not really what he meant to say but the notion that anyone else is to blame for it is nonsense. 

Yeah I’m on the same page as you. In fairness, I think it may have been someone with a phone rather than a photographer and do more understandable how it may have happened in the first place.

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Yeah I’m on the same page as you. In fairness, I think it may have been someone with a phone rather than a photographer and do more understandable how it may have happened in the first place.

Not sure what is the worst to talk about  Gary or the game 

10 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Oh, and we are miles better, not, nearly every week we are shown up for our lack of grit, once again more than double the chances to score but failed to take them, 

We are better than them by a good bit . Battered them the 2nd half don't think we played to badly at all just couldn't get ball over the line. I'm still confident top 4 finish then eventually win the play offs after finishing 21 points behind 2nd haha 

8 minutes ago, Afc88 said:

We are better than them by a good bit . Battered them the 2nd half don't think we played to badly at all just couldn't get ball over the line. I'm still confident top 4 finish then eventually win the play offs after finishing 21 points behind 2nd haha 

Have a good look at the goal we lost, see if your still as confident of top 4 finish, 

I seen it, still confident I try to take the positives 7 points from last 9 with 1 goal against.  Aye we have been poor but still think more to come with a couple additions in January.  Frizz back fit gabby back fit and the keeper back. We will get better 

I seen it, still confident I try to take the positives 7 points from last 9 with 1 goal against.  Aye we have been poor but still think more to come with a couple additions in January.  Frizz back fit gabby back fit and the keeper back. We will get better 
The weird thing about this league is even if you're absolutely p*sh, going on a good run can shoot you right up the table. Although finishing in 4th place 21 points behind 2nd and going up via the play offs does sound a good laugh too [emoji1]

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah you're second paragraph was essentially what i was trying to say. It was stupid and immature but obviously the punishment doesn't fit the crime. That it is the unfortunate set of circumstances that led to the extreme punishment as opposed to the action itself. Which is why i have sympathy for him (although personally i don't like the way he has handled it since then).

14 hours ago, Afc88 said:

Aye we did play a lot better second half,we could have been 2 or 3 down first half though, 

Regarding the ATS vs Deveney debate for the left back slot, In the games I have seen, when ATS plays, he stays very deep and offers absolutely nothing going forward. Deveney is a weaker defender,  but is vastly superior going forward. The one to choose should surely depend upon whether you expect to be on the front foot or the back foot. I feel that we ought to be aiming to be on the front foot against anyone in this league, and therefore I prefer Deveney. Possibly in cup games against teams from a higher league, then ATS would be a better choice.