The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

38 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

As the dust settles on our victory over Falkirk, and before our play-off final against the Accies, just sharing some thoughts. I'll try to minimise restating what other posters have already said.

Firstly, that was two games of near perfect football. The first half of the first leg was one of the best, if not the best, I have seen Airdrie play (I'm old and have been a fan since 1971). The key here was the (supposed) quality of the opposition and the importance of the game and we blew them apart. The first leg second half we showed great resilience after losing two goals and the sending off and you could see it in the players that when Allan was red carded they looked like they wanted to and could score again, which of course they did. Yesterday was an absolute master class of protecting the four goal lead from the first leg. Falkirk were absolutely dreadful, but credit has to go to Airdrie for giving them so few options to hurt us.

My second point, which is completely uncontroversial, is what an amazing job McCabe has done. In his first year as a manager, at 30 years of age and still playing to have got us to the play-offs and then play like is absolutely remarkable. The thing for me, as picked up by others, is how Rhys has evolved through learning from setbacks earlier in the season (Dunfermline, Edinburgh etc).

Finally, I think the club should be given a lot of credit too, and not just for putting their faith in Rhys. If there is unhappiness behind the scenes it usually manifests on the pitch and that is clearly not the case with Airdrie at the moment. I know PH isn't always popular because of his (lack of) communication, but that's not really a problem when things are going well. I also think Ian Murray planted the seeds over his five years here in getting the players to play as a unit, which Rhys has built on and improved. Also, Murray brought McCabe to the club and I suspect suggested that he should be given a shot as the manager.

Anyway, on to Wednesday to see what that brings. It's going to be an interesting test aganst a team we have played in a while...

I agree. If you look at the last few league finishes we've finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. The last 3 seasons we've got to the play-off final and the covid season we weren't able to because there were no play-offs. The only sides to finish ahead of us in that time are Raith, Falkirk, Partick, Dunfermline and Cove who all have/had far bigger budgets, and we ran Partick and Cove very close.

Obviously promotion is the ultimate measure of success for us but you can't really deny that the board have helped bring us up a level from where we'd been over the decade before Murray arrived. Obviously that's down to good management from Murray and McCabe, but as you say the board brought them to the club and have given them the resources to be competitive.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

This forum is getting ridiculous, can't believe that the latest episode from the excellent AFTV has been posted over 1 hour ago and there are no comments on Gabby's maw!

Hadn't even noticed her such was my envy at his da's fantastic hair and beard combo. 

14 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Hair envy is an affliction the impact of which shouldn't be underestimated

As someone who suffers from the aforementioned affliction, I've re-reviewed and indeed Pa McGill is a magnificently coiffured gent. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree. If you look at the last few league finishes we've finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. The last 3 seasons we've got to the play-off final and the covid season we weren't able to because there were no play-offs. The only sides to finish ahead of us in that time are Raith, Falkirk, Partick, Dunfermline and Cove who all have/had far bigger budgets, and we ran Partick and Cove very close.

Obviously promotion is the ultimate measure of success for us but you can't really deny that the board have helped bring us up a level from where we'd been over the decade before Murray arrived. Obviously that's down to good management from Murray and McCabe, but as you say the board brought them to the club and have given them the resources to be competitive.

I was thinking about this yesterday and even before Murray the board backed Findlay in their first January window to bring in Carrick, Duffy etc., before giving him the security of a permanent contract and an ostensibly decent budget in the summer to bring in an average League One select. They then quickly realised that it wasn’t working and brought Murray in after a quarter and stuck by him on multiple occasions when I think it would be fair to say a majority of fans wanted him gone.

No board is ever going to be perfect but I’ve seen enough now to trust their judgement on footballing decisions. Having a proven record of supporting managers and giving them time can only be a good thing going forward too. It’s night and day from the chaos of the Wotherspoon era and a clear step up professionally from the Boyle/Bollan years.

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Hadn't even noticed her such was my envy at his da's fantastic hair and beard combo. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

As someone who suffers from the aforementioned affliction, I've re-reviewed and indeed Pa McGill is a magnificently coiffured gent. 

6 hours ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

More importantly, his da is/was the chairman of York City. A disgrace we haven’t got a friendly organised these last couple of seasons instead of that NLL Cup pish. 

Magnificent from Gal! He's been phenomenal with goals and assists this season. I'd imagine the Dunfermline lads might feel a bit aggrieved with some cause, but on another positive note I hope wee Paton is raging 😂

Delighted for Gallagher. To be honest I love him far more than a grown man should love any lower league Scottish footballer and I’m delighted he’s finally getting the recognition he deserves. He’s been a great player for us over the last three seasons, despite the Jordan Allan truthers not being convinced, and as I’ve said many times people really underestimate the value of a regular goal scorer. He’s really stepped up his game this season and has gone from being a top end League One striker to probably one of the better lower league forwards overall. All four nominees have had great seasons but I think Gallagher is a well deserved winner.

34 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Magnificent from Gal! He's been phenomenal with goals and assists this season. I'd imagine the Dunfermline lads might feel a bit aggrieved with some cause, but on another positive note I hope wee Paton is raging 😂

They can feel as aggrieved as they want but this was voted on by his fellow pros so it's not like some random committee or a fans vote where the team with the biggest support vote for their player. The other pros in League 1 thought Gal was the PotY and that comes down to him being, in their eyes, the best player (and not an absolute dick like Paton)

44 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

. I'd imagine the Dunfermline lads might feel a bit aggrieved with some cause,

I do feel slightly aggrieved but tbh I’m not surprised that one of our players wasn’t picked out individually, it’s been very much a team effort from us and as expected strikers tend to get these awards and none of ours would deserve it. Can’t complain about one of the best we’ve come up against winning the award.  Bene admitted to voting for Gallagher too, which even tho he could not vote for himself or Todd is a vote that shows he earned it.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wow.

Can only assume the Djnfermline boys split the vote. He was good but really one of Todd or Benedictus should have got it. Bene for me.

True votes will be spilt on Dunfermline players it will also help gal hit a good run of form going in to the end of the season just around voting time.   He has been excellent all season but really found form from January onwards.    Delighted he got the award for his work rate and now adding goals

5 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Each to their own I suppose!

5 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

5 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Hair envy is an affliction the impact of which shouldn't be underestimated

5 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Seconded. It is a fairly spectacular hair/beard combo- something Gabby could learn from. However that’s been the only downside to Gabby this season. On the park he’s been fantastic.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

More importantly, his da is/was the chairman of York City. A disgrace we haven’t got a friendly organised these last couple of seasons instead of that NLL Cup pish. 

Wasn’t York City the glamour tie that opened the stadium all those years ago?

Edited by Sub Parr
Bloody auto correct/ my bad typing