Ross "Wandering Hands" Thomson

jamieson87

19 minutes ago, beefybake said:

tbf, Paul Sweeney does sound rather like a poor wee baa lamb.....

"mortified" by the incident....., "paralysed" with shock. 

I don’t imagine any of us really know how we’d react in such circumstances.  Hopefully none of us will need to find out.

10 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Should surely now be a safe SNP seat.

Would have been safer if he hadn't stood down. Not sure why Sweeney chose this time to mention it giving it happened a year ago, unless Labour have a chance of the seat?

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Would have been safer if he hadn't stood down. Not sure why Sweeney chose this time to mention it giving it happened a year ago, unless Labour have a chance of the seat?

Not convinced on that.

Thomson did take the seat with a 14.8% swing last time.  I'm happy to see him out the picture now.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t imagine any of us really know how we’d react in such circumstances.  Hopefully none of us will need to find out.

Actually, I got 'touched up' , as a mid teen, by a middle aged hotel manager when I went looking for summer holiday work.

It was a shock. I was still basically a kid.  Told my parents. They didn't do anything.  

However, when MP's are in the bar, they're grown people.... this all seems like rather petty stuff, and somewhat contrived at this particular time.

16 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Not convinced on that.

Thomson did take the seat with a 14.8% swing last time.  I'm happy to see him out the picture now.

Pretty sure the Mail on Sunday didn't publish an old story to help the SNP.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Pretty sure the Mail on Sunday didn't publish an old story to help the SNP.

Given some of the stuff that Aberdonians have got into over the years, these "smears" against Thomson if proved, would be regarded by many in that city as a step in the right direction.

Actually, I got 'touched up' , as a mid teen, by a middle aged hotel manager when I went looking for summer holiday work.
It was a shock. I was still basically a kid.  Told my parents. They didn't do anything.  
However, when MP's are in the bar, they're grown people.... this all seems like rather petty stuff, and somewhat contrived at this particular time.

So I was in a bar on Wednesday night with my colleagues. Another office we work with were there for drinks too, a guy in that office thought it would be funny to sit on my knee and simulate a sex act, then after I told him to f**k off he groped me at the bar. I don’t particularly think its ‘petty’, I think Sweeney was a victim of an unwanted advance and trivialising these sorts of incidents is not right.

51 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Male or female and are you male or female. Also would it make a difference given it's still unwanted sexual advances?

Guaranteed it would be perceived differently by the general public. You get touched up by an older woman as a young guy and the consensus would be lucky you. Get touched up by an older guy and the reaction would be different.

28 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Male or female and are you male or female. Also would it make a difference given it's still unwanted sexual advances?

Guaranteed it would be perceived differently by the general public. You get touched up by an older woman as a young guy and the consensus would be lucky you. Get touched up by an older guy and the reaction would be different.

Depends how old the woman is. There's generally a bit more equivalence of power between men, both being back benchers. If someone tried to stick their hand down my trousers I would "forcefully tell them to desist", smack them in the mouth or ask the HOC bouncer/Tory chief whip to deal with him. I wouldn't wait a year, just before an election, to make a fuss about it, because it would make me look bad if it was public that a Tory cokehead had sexually assaulted me.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Depends how old the woman is. There's generally a bit more equivalence of power between men, both being back benchers. If someone tried to stick their hand down my trousers I would "forcefully tell them to desist", smack them in the mouth or ask the HOC bouncer/Tory chief whip to deal with him. I wouldn't wait a year, just before an election, to make a fuss about it, because it would make me look bad if it was public that a Tory cokehead had sexually assaulted me.

Was there not already a (very slow) investigation into it?

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
If you listen really carefully, you can almost hear Oaksoft's gasps of disgust from here. 

A few weeks ago Oaksoft lightened up a tad. Told us his toilet story plus instigated a bit of craic on these pages. Lasted about 2 days then went back to being an old crank... Wonder what happened.....

Divorce fell through.

47 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'm male.   No, I don't think it does make a difference.

Really, we're all general public.

In terms of Aberdeen South, this should open it up again for the Tories to try to retain it. Given the stronger Unionist tendency of the constituency, another Tory or even a Lib Dem being elected would not surprise me. Thankfully I'm Aberdeen North and it should be an easy win for the good guys

8 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Was there not already a (very slow) investigation into it?

Aye, didn't report it for 4 months though, after others had. 

Speaking to the Scottish Daily Mail, Sweeney had alleged that a drunken Thompson had fondled him and thrust a hand down the front of his trousers during the October 2018 incident.

He told the newspaper: “I felt paralysed. It was just such a shocking thing. I was in a cold sweat, it was mortifying.

“Nobody knew where to look at the table. It’s embarrassing. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that if I just punched the guy, who knows where that could end up when there’s a bar full of journalists.”

Sweeney added: “I sat on this for ages because I didn’t want to make a fuss out of it… I never wanted to be the guy who was groped by Ross Thomson. I had a willingness to sort of let this go because if he had acknowledged he was wrong it might have been OK.”

However, he submitted a formal complaint in February after Thompson faced further public allegations that he had groped three men in a Parliamentary bar.

The MP added that he “can’t get away from” Thompson, who he still sees in the House of Commons chamber, while the two MPs’ offices are on the same corridor.

He said: “He’s not fit to hold public office. I don’t think he’s fit to be a Member of Parliament.”

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So I was in a bar on Wednesday night with my colleagues. Another office we work with were there for drinks too, a guy in that office thought it would be funny to sit on my knee and simulate a sex act, then after I told him to f**k off he groped me at the bar. I don’t particularly think its ‘petty’, I think Sweeney was a victim of an unwanted advance and trivialising these sorts of incidents is not right.

Not the brightest comment I've made, and I agree with you. 

My experience was, standing, facing the bloke, him telling me about the work,  standing a bit too close, and putting his hands on my waist.

Nothing genital.  Just the absolute feeling that this wasn't at all right.

I left as quickly as I could disengage from the conversation.

( And didn't take the job. )

Edited by beefybake