Falkirk v Dundee United

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United were obviously going to dominate, they should every game for the players they now have. Some of their new signings could play in the premiership. I thought they were very good middle to front but piss poor at the back. Long balls between full backs going straight out the park and with a bit more composure from Petra and DKD in the first half could have seen us test their keeper more.

As for us, we weren’t as creative as I would have liked us to have been but you can’t question the passion and the fight from the players, stemmed from Paton winning the drop ball. We would have lost that earlier in the season comfortably. Todorov looks a handful whenever he’s came on. Thought the noise after the goal and the way the game swung we were going to nick it. Good point and sets us up for Friday with hopefully Osman and Edge back.

16 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Can see your point about that but i think out of all our loan players the only ones whos contract isnt due to expire at their parent club is Zak, the rest all have contracts expiring at the end of the current season so if all goes well the chances are RM could offer them a contract to stay knowing they know the league, town and club. I would also give us the start to having a bit continuity at the club as far as first team goes.

On another note i think most clubs Premiership and Championship are choked full of loan players even when you look at Sevco they have a good few players on loan as well. Whether its a case of not wanting to take a risk on a player being a dud and having to buy out his contract (see us for that example) or wanting to see how they fit in before making an approach if the loan works out.

I understand we might pick these loan players up if they are out of contract but that's a very risky strategy as free agents can sign for anyone they choose not where their parent club tells them to go. In fact it's not a strategy it's fingers-crossed it might happen we will see what happens plan .

Looking around the top 2 leagues you are correct , they are chicken choked - it seems it's a Scottish Football problem and not (just) a Falkirk problem. A (not) great early endorsement of Project Brave. 

I suppose I just hark back to the old days when our players were our players.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

So your basing your comment on only the last few years of brockville then. You asked me to point you in the direction of atmospheric games at brockville against nobodies. I did 

The title chasing home matches against Ayr (potentially nobodies) and Meadowbank (absolute nobodies) were amazing with the kind of atmosphere I have rarely experienced again.     

8 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

I understand we might pick these loan players up if they are out of contract but that's a very risky strategy as free agents can sign for anyone they choose not where their parent club tells them to go. In fact it's not a strategy it's fingers-crossed it might happen we will see what happens plan .

Looking around the top 2 leagues you are correct , they are chicken choked - it seems it's a Scottish Football problem and not (just) a Falkirk problem. A (not) great early endorsement of Project Brave. 

I suppose I just hark back to the old days when our players were our players.

I completely agree with you the thing is if we know the players and what they are capable of and the players are happy at the club then its a start to getting some continuity at the club, (providing the money is right for both parties) as Project Hartley f**ked it big time other than Mutch, McShane and Mclean that's got to be all we have signed for next season i reckon.

28 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I completely agree with you the thing is if we know the players and what they are capable of and the players are happy at the club then its a start to getting some continuity at the club, (providing the money is right for both parties) as Project Hartley f**ked it big time other than Mutch, McShane and Mclean that's got to be all we have signed for next season i reckon.

Plus Petravicius and Paton.

I also know of two players who recently arrived on short-terms deals who'll sign up for another season. It's also not impossible we could get some of the loans back.    

There'll still be a lot of movement in the summer but the player turnover shouldn't be as high as it was last year.

Though it's interesting to consider that only two summers ago, folk were complaining that we had too much continuity;  ie when we gave extensions to Watson, Taiwo, Shepherd, Henderson, Blues & Kerr.

Plus Petravicius and Paton.

I also know of two players who recently arrived on short-terms deals who'll sign up for another season. It's also not impossible we could get some of the loans back.    

There'll still be a lot of movement in the summer but the player turnover shouldn't be as high as it was last year.

Though it's interesting to consider that only two summers ago, folk were complaining that we had too much continuity;  ie when we gave extensions to Watson, Taiwo, Shepherd, Henderson, Blues & Kerr.

Would love for one of them to be McKenna but I'd assume Osman and Todorov

Edit: forgot about Dixon. Would hope he's one of the two

Looking at highlights Falkirk keeper got lucky near the end, cross from the United player seemed to go through his fingers and just drop wide of goal

Must have been their third chance counted on target?

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No,  it was never continuity that was being complained about. For the last two summers people were complaining that we gave too much utter garbage that we knew couldn't get us promoted new deals. And we were very very right. It was symptomatic of the lack of ambition at the club.

Shepherd, Henderson, Blues, Kidd, O'Hara being prime examples. 

It's really tricky. Financially we can't afford to give out 3 year deals like we used to, which encourages this turnover of players all the time. Wages at this level are so low that you can lose players to a rival for a couple of hundred quid a week difference. 

Until we reach the top division we will always be stuck with players for 1/2 seasons only , if they are really good. McKenna for example will go to a Hibs or Hearts. 

Thought United were as good as I've seen play us this season. We had 2 good spells, just before half time and around the time of our equaliser. Tommy Robson keeps getting slaughtered on here for his defensive work, the number of guys pre match on here who'd have dropped him for brough, but coped well today. We are getting better but still need a bit of time.

As for brockville v tfs, games v hibs and rangers were as good as brockville ever was, today towards the equaliser the same but the advantage brockville had was the enclosure, a team with 50 away fans could pack right up next to the choir and get an atmosphere going, something the stadium today can't match (and that's not to say there weren't loads of quiet days at brockville) also ending up miles from where you were standing after a goal when everyone's went mental beats seats but that's a terraces v seating debate!

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

Look, I loved Brockville as much as everyone else, if not more, but this is utter shite. Plenty games at Brockville had a shite atmosphere, particularly during soul-destryoing seasons of finishing mid-table in the First Division.

If youve got a shite team on the park your no going to get much of an atmosphere wherever your playing for fecks sake. However at brockville when we had a good side and the home end was packed the atmosphere was brilliant.  At tfs even when we are doing well the atmosphere is still like a morgue unless you get a decent away support. Thats the main difference in my mind.

9 hours ago, mikedafc said:

Looking at highlights Falkirk keeper got lucky near the end, cross from the United player seemed to go through his fingers and just drop wide of goal

We got away with our keepers feck up u didnae. Simple as that really.

39 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

No,  it was never continuity that was being complained about. For the last two summers people were complaining that we gave too much utter garbage that we knew couldn't get us promoted new deals. And we were very very right. It was symptomatic of the lack of ambition at the club.

Shepherd, Henderson, Blues, Kidd, O'Hara being prime examples. 

It's really tricky. Financially we can't afford to give out 3 year deals like we used to, which encourages this turnover of players all the time. Wages at this level are so low that you can lose players to a rival for a couple of hundred quid a week difference. 

Until we reach the top division we will always be stuck with players for 1/2 seasons only , if they are really good. McKenna for example will go to a Hibs or Hearts. 

I agree. No point continually signing on shite just for continuities sake. However, last season we shouldve kept the likes of longridge and taiwo  as they were far better than the dross signed.

Maybe not too many in this league have the option, but any team with a couple of big lads up front will cause that DU defence all sorts of bother. Their centre  backs look seriously grim compared to the rest of the team.

Pawlett is a really decent player, but that’s not what he will be remembered for. Just one of that wee band of players who despite being caught diving time and time again,  just  won’t stop doing it. Deserves every bit of the criticism he receives.

18 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Looked a fun game to watch. Was incredible to see Falkirk fans going daft as they drop to 9th in the table. Shows you the sort of shite they've had to deal with this season.

We're just about into the run in and it could be a bit mental. There's not a decent side between six or seven of us.

Yeah and it wasnt that long ago you guys were chirping about how brilliant all our rejects were doing for you. 

23 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Looked a fun game to watch. Was incredible to see Falkirk fans going daft as they drop to 9th in the table. Shows you the sort of shite they've had to deal with this season.

We're just about into the run in and it could be a bit mental. There's not a decent side between six or seven of us.

Says the guy that thought El Bak was a brilliant signing. 

Archived