Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I think this is guy is spot on....

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-accused-treating-kazakhstan-like-14171594

The whole 'mood music' around this match - the pathetic excuses for calling off, the low key build up, the general attitude of players, fans, media alike seemed to be we were playing a side that was little better than Malta or the Faroes, backed up by these 'world rankings'.

Closer scrutiny reveals a core of players at FC Astana (regularly in CL or EL) and Kairat (some good EL runs) - and Celtic/Aberdeen having lost the three matches Scots sides have played on Kazakh soil.

There is a lot of investment in sport in that nation, and it is probably likely this will be a springboard to them certainly being more of a regular middle-ranking nation.  i.e. a Serbia, Romania, Slovenia or........Scotland (on an upper part of our cycle).

The eleven players that performed so poorly were just the tip of the iceberg in reasons why this result happened........

It is fascinating that as a nation we are so relentlessly negative about ourselves, and yet....and yet....we still turn up to these sorts of fixtures acting billy big bollocks expecting to cruise to victory.

I don't think we turned up over confident at all. I didn't see the team giving off a 'billy big baws' air; quite the opposite. To me the team went there shitting themselves.

As has been mentioned already McFadden was reeling off the excuses on Sportscene on Sunday night. He, McLeish and Grant were surely saying the same sort of pish in front of the players. They eroded the confidence of the squad before they touched down in Astana. They got in the head of the players about the pitch and were mewling about the time difference and the temperature. The total lack of meaningful direction from the management won't have helped the team at all. They were told to move the ball quickly and take as few touches as possible. That meant there was no time for them to take their time on the ball and settle in to the game, instead giving possession away and having to deal with the pressure that followed. 

It all resulted in them taking to the pitch scared and unsure of what to do, with most of them wanting to just get rid of the ball as quickly as they could, which is why we had so few efforts on goal.

Not denying it happened as I have no idea but what did the team/officials do that suggested they were patronising them and taking the game lightly?

Besides the abject performance itself obviously.

6 minutes ago, swing_kinker said:

I think people jump to the conclusions of not trying every time there's a bad result. I thought they were trying but just looked lost and without direction. Just an awful awful performance 

Agree with this. From the highlights alone it seemed to me that there was effort, but no direction and a total lack of confidence and composure. 

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Was there much in the McGregor/McFadeen tussle at the end? Saw it mentioned in the commentary but hasn’t been mentioned since. Could be a sign of disconnect between players and management.

Apparently due to McTominay heading straight up the tunnel, McGregor wanted all the team to go to the fans. 

8 minutes ago, RPHG said:

Apparently due to McTominay heading straight up the tunnel, McGregor wanted all the team to go to the fans. 

According to McLeish - McTominay had an upset stomach.

This is a minter for the ages.

The glow of this minter will affect the balance of the cosmos

Its happening folks. 

Lastnight I seen an Owl digging a burrow in broad daylight, and a flock of songbirds mauling a badger

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im not blaming Bain alone, just that theres as much to point at him as there is everyone else.

All the goals stink of a lack of communication, from McKenna, Shinnie and Bain.

They stink of a player that hasn't played left back for years and his positioning was miles off, there's not a chance you can blame the goalkeeper as much as Shinnie for those three goals. 

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

They stink of a player that hasn't played left back for years and his positioning was miles off, there's not a chance you can blame the goalkeeper as much as Shinnie for those three goals. 

Ultimately the major fault is with McLeish, for playing a central midfielder at left back. Its four seasons since Shinnie played left back, and that's just as club level.

Callum McGregor played left back for Celtic in Europe this year did he not?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ultimately the major fault is with McLeish, for playing a central midfielder at left back. Its four seasons since Shinnie played left back, and that's just as club level.

Callum McGregor played left back for Celtic in Europe this year did he not?

He's played left back a few times for Celtic but important to note that he's no more of a left back than Shinnie, just a far superior player.

Like everyone else on the park I believe he didn't play well yesterday but I wouldn't be moving McGregor to left back, far too important.

We love a scapegoat - and the last minute makeshift left-back is getting it tighter than everyone.......and has admitted he had  a mare.

So some others........

Tierney cried off when it was too late to call up someone else that plays the position week in week out.

The so-called 'exciting' midfield of McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, Forrest were slow and ponderous and created nothing - and never put a tackle in the whole match.

Burke - why is he anywhere near the team?  He has done nothing at Leipzig or West Bromwich or in previous matches for Scotland.........

Scruffy McBurnie has never done anything of note and looks like he never will.

Lots of players have walked away from the national team or only show up when it suits them, and McRae/McLeish do nothing about it - this was likely to be a pivotal match and the attitude stank.

.....still it's all Shinnie's fault.

Burke has found his level now.  Dropping down a level or two from the Bundesliga to the EFL Championship, then another level down to the Scottish Premiership.  In football, you always end up where you're meant to, and he certainly has.

He actually looks like he's gotten worse since he left Forrest in 2016.

Archived