Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

Reading through this thread, Norway and Serbia are in this path for a reason, because they weren't good enough to get out their group. We're not exactly playing a Netherlands again, this is our best chance to qualify in donkeys! Aw this typical Scottish negativity stinks...

14 minutes ago, Iain said:

Away draw for the final is a disaster. No idea why they threw the perfectly good seedings out of the window at that stage.

Agree. Not sour grapes either, but you've also got Bulgaria (recent record of racism in stands)are potentially two home games away from the finals.

Away draw for the final is a disaster. No idea why they threw the perfectly good seedings out of the window at that stage.
The seeding system was ridiculous. Seeding teams by points, GD etc. when they play in different groups (and based only on the results of 4 games) was mental.

As much as it would harm us as top seeds, some form of random draw is the way to go with this setup.

I hadn't really thought about it until now but the ticketing must be a nightmare for this. Are they expecting Norway or Serbia to try and punt 30-50k tickets with four days notice, and a few thousand Scots or Israelis to sort cross continental flights and accomodation for one of two locations? That's wild.

33 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
53 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
5% ticket allocation for us in the final I take it?

Hopefully not but I'd imagine so. You'd assume that everyone in the first X would go too.

1400 if in Norway, 2775 in Serbia if the minimums are adhered to.

Means Norway would go down to 15 or 16 points to begin with (not sure if they've add the 2 recent games yet) and Serbia would go down to 11 or 12.

Not the worst tbh, I think it will go down lower for both of them as there'll be enough folk put off by the short notice of getting to Oslo or Belgrade. 

ETA: We got around 2200 last time we played a competitive game in Norway. 

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Relatively confident of beating Israel in the semi, if only because we've beat them recently. Also because I think we look better (marginally) than when we played them under McLeish.

Can't see us winning the final though - our away record when it counts isn't great, and if we are to qualify, it would mean us having won 5 competitive matches in a row. Christ knows when we done that last (if indeed we ever have).

54 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Arguing about who you'd prefer out of Norway and Serbia when there's still a do or die game to play before you even reach either of them is astounding arrogance and exactly what we routinely slaughter England and their pundits/supporters for doing. :lol:

Israel are fucking pish. But so are we.

Scotland in a nutshell when it comes to international football. Complain about the English media but, given half the chance, we would do exactly the same. Very strange inferiority complex.

10 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Relatively confident of beating Israel in the semi, if only because we've beat them recently. Also because I think we look better (marginally) than when we played them under McLeish.

Can't see us winning the final though - our away record when it counts isn't great, and if we are to qualify, it would mean us having won 5 competitive matches in a row. Christ knows when we done that last (if indeed we ever have).

Last time we won four competitive matches in a row was Jun-Oct 2007 (Faroes A, Lithuania H, France A, Ukraine H).

Last time we won five in a row...if you're willing to accept the Kirin Cup...was as recently as May-Nov 1995 (Ecuador N, Faroes A, Greece H, Finland H, San Marino H).

Between February 1925 and February 1927 we actually won EIGHT in a row.  All British Home Championship matches, and all but one was a win to nil.  The run was eventually halted with a 2-1 defeat to England at Hampden in April 1927.

20 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Scotland in a nutshell when it comes to international football. Complain about the English media but, given half the chance, we would do exactly the same. Very strange inferiority complex.

Actually I'd say quite the opposite. If you listen to our commentators the majority tend to talk down our team during a match and where the English, Welsh & Irish refer to "us" and "we" when discussing their teams our Scottish commentators (such as Provan) generally refer to us as "Scotland" or "they" as if we're nothing to do with them. Fortunately there are a few exceptions such as Darren Fletcher and James McFadden.

I suppose you could argue that our guys are being more professional and commentating from a neutral stance but again we're the only one of the home nations which do this as the rest are extremely partisan / biased when discussing or commentating on their own teams (Having Crocker doesn't help of course, however there are many home bred who are every bit as bad).

Our written press are even worse and talk us down at every turn where they're actively looking for negatives and seeing any sort of success as more "luck" than anything else.

You can call it defeatist, inferiority complex or there may even be deeper more sinister reasons where certain elements of Scottish Society would appear to look down on Scotland as they seem to have more of a love for England or Ireland.

So No, I don't think we could EVER be the same as the English media for a variety of reasons..............