Joker

SweeperDee

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nah it wasn't as good as Zimmer but it was very good. Definitely added to the mood being expressed by Arthur.

On the sequel topic I really hope they leave it as it is. The whole point for me was seeing Joker's spiral. The next step is him building his criminal empire, which has been done already.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Dark Knight Returns-type film with an older Joker or something based on the Azzarello and Bermejo standalone Joker book.

Having rewatched last night I’m beginning to wonder how much of the stuff in the film actually happened and how much of it was in Arthur’s head.

The end scene with De Niro seemed too flawless to have actually happened. Now beginning to think it may have been how Arthur saw the scenes unfolding in his head.

But also may be thinking too much into things.

Having rewatched last night I’m beginning to wonder how much of the stuff in the film actually happened and how much of it was in Arthur’s head.

The end scene with De Niro seemed too flawless to have actually happened. Now beginning to think it may have been how Arthur saw the scenes unfolding in his head.

Imo the entire film is played out from his perspective and therefore any scenes could’ve happened differently. I think the De Niro scene definitely happened but what we’re shown is how Arthur thinks or remembers it happening.

Obviously the movie makes a point of telling us that his interactions with the girl down the hall have all been delusions but I think the point is the whole film is up for debate and everyone will decide for themselves how accurate the events are.

7 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Gonna chuck my thoughts in spoilers in case there are folk on this thread who haven't seen it:

Spoiler

Things seem to take a really absurd turn once he leaves the clown agency, almost as if everything thereafter is exaggerated or even fantasy. He bursts through the door and into a really bright outdoors. I noticed that lighting a couple of other occasions (when his mum snuffs it and the very last scene in the film), which appears to be very deliberate but I'm not 100% sure why. The fact that there's a quick cutaway to Bruce standing above his dead parents when Arthur either says "I was thinking of a joke" or "you wouldn't get it" is, in my opinion, another hint towards it not happening; there was just too much of a link between Arthur's joke on the Murray Franklin Show about someone's kid dying and him laughing at, I assume, a kid being left parentless. 

Then again, I could just be overthinking it all, which I admire the creators for making happen. 

If other aspects of the film were handled as well as this ambiguity then I definitely would've liked it a lot more. 

Imo the entire film is played out from his perspective and therefore any scenes could’ve happened differently. I think the De Niro scene definitely happened but what we’re shown is how Arthur thinks or remembers it happening.

Obviously the movie makes a point of telling us that his interactions with the girl down the hall have all been delusions but I think the point is the whole film is up for debate and everyone will decide for themselves how accurate the events are.

That’s truly the whole Joker “thing”, his origin IS multiple choice!!!

2501AC2C-C00F-46FA-B0B0-0293597087D0.thumb.png.0846868843af8b48dba0a64fde40122b.png

RE. The stair music, it was supposed to be Bennie and the Jets instead of R&R pt. 2 but it was a last minute change. I wonder why.

I think it’s a bit of genius filmmaking to put it in there to be honest and for me it fits the moment Joker is having far better than Bennie and the Jets would have.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

I think it’s a bit of genius filmmaking to put it in there to be honest and for me it fits the moment Joker is having far better than Bennie and the Jets would have.

It took me a couple of seconds to twig who it was (probably because it's not really on the airwaves anymore due to, well...) but when I did I had a chuckle.

Job done - dark humour even in a soundtrack imo.

It took me a couple of seconds to twig who it was (probably because it's not really on the airwaves anymore due to, well...) but when I did I had a chuckle.
Job done - dark humour even in a soundtrack imo.

Dark humour whilst also overwhelming you with an incredible uneasiness. I dare say most, if not all viewers of a particular generation watching were like “Oh I remember this one! Great tune! It’s... Oh... f**k.”

I didn't particularly enjoy it.

I fully appreciate the excellent acting, character development etc but found the majority of it fairly boring.

I thought it was a 6/10 movie with very little wrong with it but something not quite involving enough.

I’m not a superhero movie, but I had heard it was bleak and melancholy and violent enough to stand up as a non-superhero film.

I think the parts involving De Niro reprising King of Comedy were brilliant, but most of the other characters were too lightweight and underdeveloped. There could have been a cracking serial killer film if they had done away with the imaginary girlfriend nonsense.

I very rarely say this, but I think it was half an hour too short.

Went to see it last night and found it enjoyable enough.

Found myself having empathy for arthur and becoming a product of his environment. His mother well and truly fucked him over. I had a couple of 'oooh shit moments' scene in the flat was brutal yet funny.

Personally i still prefer the dark night version but Phoenix was outstanding as he made you connect to him emotionally.

9/10

I thought it was a 6/10 movie with very little wrong with it but something not quite involving enough.

I’m not a superhero movie, but I had heard it was bleak and melancholy and violent enough to stand up as a non-superhero film.

I think the parts involving De Niro reprising King of Comedy were brilliant, but most of the other characters were too lightweight and underdeveloped. There could have been a cracking serial killer film if they had done away with the imaginary girlfriend nonsense.

I very rarely say this, but I think it was half an hour too short.

Bloody hell. Didn’t think I’d read any reviews with as beige an opinion. I think if you need to give it a second watch and eliminate the word ‘superhero’ or any comic book notions from your mind completely.