Best Place to Live in Scotland

Sooky

6 minutes ago, Anna Higgins said:

just as proof that I am not a bot you can read my blog www.thescottishdream.com if you want. Not sure if bots can usually write blogs.

Will try and get a flick through it later Anna.  I'm very interested in the Covenanters and see there's some material with regards to them.

Enjoyed reading your Not-So-Secret-Garden post.

2 hours ago, Anna Higgins said:

Yes, Teresa May was Prime Minister when we left England, but I hated her just as much as I hate B****.  

I'll quit this group now cos I've had some useful advice and it seems that some folk are a bit bored and just want to pick holes at people (even when they have admitted that they are really struggling). Try and be nice to people when they are simply asking for advice.

You seem like someone who likes to pitch up in an established community with no introduction, no research into how the community operates and no effort to build rapport with the community members who then expects everyone to engage with you on your terms and take the huff because you don't get a 100% positive response.

You seem like someone who likes to pitch up in an established community with no introduction, no research into how the community operates and no effort to build rapport with the community members who then expects everyone to engage with you on your terms and take the huff because you don't get a 100% positive response.

Harsh but not inaccurate

I am a football fan (Liverpool) so i just thought this would be a useful group of sound folk who might be able to offer advice. I joined other forums of other other things I am interested in (hillwalking etc) and have had a much kinder response than on here. But nevermind. I've not totally given up on Scotland yet. My search will continue. Have a great Christmas all.

28 minutes ago, Anna Higgins said:

I am a football fan (Liverpool) so i just thought this would be a useful group of sound folk who might be able to offer advice. I joined other forums of other other things I am interested in (hillwalking etc) and have had a much kinder response than on here. But nevermind. I've not totally given up on Scotland yet. My search will continue. Have a great Christmas all.

As you can imagine, we do get a lot of bots here bumping up old threads. Hence the immediate suspicion!

One thing you might like to do is adopt a Scottish football team, and move there to follow them. Not Falkirk, unless you are a masochist. 

We live in between Cumnock and Sanquhar and I'd much rather go to Cumnock than Sanquhar - people in the shops are friendly and don't look at you like you've got 2 heads and you don't get old men lining the streets staring at you when you walk past like you do in Sanquhar. 

Perhaps they think it’s not very ‘nice’ of you to call their town a shithole?
Know Sanquhar and surrounding area quite well, yes it could perhaps do with a lick of paint here and there like a number of small towns and villages in this part of the Country that sit off the main tourists routes, but always enjoy a short trip up there for a wander along the Nith and a wee pint, there’s some real history about the place too, which the locals are only to pleased to share with you. In my experience anyway.

1 hour ago, Anna Higgins said:

I experienced hostility when I first joined (and still do) due to being a Unionist and Rangers fan, as well as folk mistakenly believing that I am an ex-poster.

I've put about 15 different posters on ignore, and things have improved massively.  I definitely advise going down that route.

Just remember, for every angry agitator there will be plenty decent posters.

Edited by Scott Steiner

5 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Perhaps they think it’s not very ‘nice’ of you to call their town a shithole? Know Sanquhar and surrounding area quite well, yes it could perhaps do with a lick of paint here and there like a number of small towns and villages in this part of the Country that sit off the main tourists routes, but always enjoy a short trip up there for a wander along the Nith and a wee pint, there’s some real history about the place too, which the locals are only to pleased to share with you. In my experience anyway.

Personally I prefer these types of communities over others.

Give me an 'old mans pub' with a sense of authenticity and you'll find the locals are welcoming and friendly.  I'd much rather talk to these people than those who turn their noses up at you for having the wrong job or living in the wrong place.

Used to go to Patna all the time for lodge meetings and the people are salt of the earth IMO.

4 hours ago, Scott Steiner said:

Surprised to hear that.

I suppose you expect people selling cheap tat and the usual stuff you get in touristy places, but didn't think there'd be bad pollution, graffiti and a lack of bin emptying.

Hopefully they've bucked up their ideas since you made that post.

I think it's you she's trying to avoid.

15 hours ago, Anna Higgins said:

We live in between Cumnock and Sanquhar and I'd much rather go to Cumnock than Sanquhar - people in the shops are friendly and don't look at you like you've got 2 heads and you don't get old men lining the streets staring at you when you walk past like you do in Sanquhar. 

My grandpa was from Cumnock. It was an old school miners place. I liked it but Maggie Thatcher killed the place when she shut the mines.

14 hours ago, Anna Higgins said:

just as proof that I am not a bot you can read my blog www.thescottishdream.com if you want. Not sure if bots can usually write blogs.

Reading your last blog post, I can sympathise with your situation. It’s a case of whether you can settle in and find your place in the community or you can’t and you try  somewhere new. My best pals mum and dad owned a B&B in Kirkcaldy for years. They’ve recently retired but they did seem to know their market. Kirkcaldy is for punters who want a cheap-ish place to base themselves for trips to St Andrews/East Neuk or Edinburgh.!it has good transport links to these places. What is your market in Sanquhar?

There will undoubtedly be people in the local area, where you are, who have the same thoughts as you. No matter where you go in the UK you will find people you roll your eyes at. You just have to look at Facebook comments to see how many dodgy people there are in the UK. Forget them and focus on the others.

• 3 months later...