Best Place to Live in Scotland

Sooky

In my opinion, the nicest overall town in Scotland is St Andrews. Studenty wanks not withstanding. It doesn’t have a shithole part, it is always vibrant, with golfers, tourism, and, to be fair, the studenty wanks. Never get tired of visiting St Andrews, and if I could afford it, could easily move there. There are also really nice places in Ayrshire. Avoid the places in Ayrshire with junior fitba’ teams in them though. Alloway, Largs, around Troon and Prestwick - nice parts all around there with access to beaches and great scenery. Plus, train links to Glesga’ are good from Ayrshire. Lots of nice places in Scotland, lots of shitholes too. Same as just about anywhere in the UK.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

In my opinion, the nicest overall town in Scotland is St Andrews. Studenty wanks not withstanding. It doesn’t have a shithole part, it is always vibrant, with golfers, tourism, and, to be fair, the studenty wanks. Never get tired of visiting St Andrews, and if I could afford it, could easily move there. There are also really nice places in Ayrshire. Avoid the places in Ayrshirw with junior fitba’ teams in them though. Lots of nice places in Scotland, lots of shitholes too. Same as just about anywhere in the UK.

Wholeheartedly agree about St Andrews.  We try and get there every so often and love it in the summer.  It's always bustling and there's so much to do.  Lots of cool history and ancient stories to learn about.

There's a fantastic book shop.. canny mind its name.

I love Dunkeld in Perthshire.  Also top notch in terms of history.  

In my opinion, the nicest overall town in Scotland is St Andrews. Studenty wanks not withstanding. It doesn’t have a shithole part, it is always vibrant, with golfers, tourism, and, to be fair, the studenty wanks. Never get tired of visiting St Andrews, and if I could afford it, could easily move there. There are also really nice places in Ayrshire. Avoid the places in Ayrshire with junior fitba’ teams in them though. Alloway, Largs, around Troon and Prestwick - nice parts all around there with access to beaches and great scenery. Plus, train links to Glesga’ are good from Ayrshire. Lots of nice places in Scotland, lots of shitholes too. Same as just about anywhere in the UK.
I genuinely hate St Andrews - an overpriced touristy shitehole.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I genuinely hate St Andrews - an overpriced touristy shitehole.

Fair enough. Each to their own. You can’t say it’s a shitehole though. If St Andrews is a shitehole, fcuk knows what your opinion of Cumnock would be. 🤪

Edited by pozbaird

not a troll or a bot. just a young(ish) mother trying to do right by my kids. Left England cos I hate B**** J****** so much and had more faith in the intelligence of Scottish folk but I now find myself surrounded by Scottish Brexit voters who discuss who their favourite member of the royal family is. But I still have faith that not everywhere in Scotland is like Sanquhar.
You've been here 5 years?
Left England because you hate Boris?
David Cameron or Theresa May was PM 5 years ago.

Doesn't add up.

57 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Fair enough. Each to their own. You can’t say it’s a shitehole though. If St Andrews is a shitehole, fcuk knows what your opinion of Cumnock would be. 🤪

Cumnock isn’t that bad. There are nice parts of Cumnock and it has a Greggs. 

1 minute ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Doesn't add up.

To be fair Boris was also a cùnt 5 years ago.

16 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Doesn't add up.

Cameron and May were good enough reasons for leaving England and heading for the hills.

The Sunday Times have compiled a list of the best places to live in Scotland, with Dundee taking the top spot. Dundee appears to have been given top spot due to its “transformation from run-down industrial relic to vibrant creative hub” and its low house prices. West End and Broughty Ferry get much praise, but the Sunday Times do appear to be concerned by the lack of John Lewis in the city...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dundee-best-places-to-live-r2lwq7tkx

Honourable mentions have gone to:
Leith, Edinburgh
Stockbridge, Edinburgh
Finnieston, Glasgow
Killearn, Stirling
Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire
Mull, Argyll and Bute
North Berwick, East Lothian
Port Appin, Argyll and Bute
St Boswells, Scottish Borders

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-places-to-live-scotland-sunday-times-033c9cwxz

Is Dundee a rightful winner?

Where is the best place to live in Scotland?

Do any P&Bers hail from the 10 best places to live?

Can a place truly be a good place to live if there is no John Lewis?

Stockbridge only has about as many people as Dens Park on a match day it doesn’t make much sense to compare it to the whole of Dundee

It’s got more artisanal cheese shops though (unless you’re including Broughty Ferry)

Avoid the places in Ayrshire with junior fitba’ teams in them though. Alloway, Largs, around Troon and Prestwick the places in Ayrshire with junior fitba’ teams in them though.....

Troon, Largs, no junior teams [emoji6][emoji85][emoji85][emoji12]

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Avoid the places in Ayrshire with junior fitba’ teams in them though. Alloway, Largs, around Troon and Prestwick the places in Ayrshire with junior fitba’ teams in them though.....

Troon, Largs, no junior teams emoji6.pngemoji85.pngemoji85.pngemoji12.png

You know what I meant. 😜

Just now, johnnydun said:

^^^ Never been up to the New Town.

Absolutely not. How very dare you. I shall remain comfortably esconsed within the Links Clubhouse bar, soup & sandwich combo in hand. ‘New Town’? What is this of which you speak? 😎

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Absolutely not. How very dare you. I shall remain comfortably esconsed within the Links Clubhouse bar, soup & sandwich combo in hand. ‘New Town’? What is this of which you speak? 😎

Up Tom Morris Drive.

When my parents divorced, I moved with my mum from a large-ish town house in the middle of St Andrews to a cooncil flat in Auchterlonie Court, in the New Town. Filled with ruffians. Oh the shame.

8 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Doesn't add up.

Yes, Teresa May was Prime Minister when we left England, but I hated her just as much as I hate B****.  

I'll quit this group now cos I've had some useful advice and it seems that some folk are a bit bored and just want to pick holes at people (even when they have admitted that they are really struggling). Try and be nice to people when they are simply asking for advice.

8 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Cumnock isn’t that bad. There are nice parts of Cumnock and it has a Greggs. 

We live in between Cumnock and Sanquhar and I'd much rather go to Cumnock than Sanquhar - people in the shops are friendly and don't look at you like you've got 2 heads and you don't get old men lining the streets staring at you when you walk past like you do in Sanquhar. 

On 06/05/2019 at 20:02, Ya Bezzer! said:

Rome is massively over crowded, has terrible traffic jams and pollution, is full of homeless African refugees, is generally pretty grubby and run down, almost everything is covered in graffiti and they empty the bins about twice a year.  Oh and it's built on a humid, muggy swamp.

Obviously Glasgow doesn't have the history or culture that Rome has but as a place to live Glasgow might actually be better.

Surprised to hear that.

I suppose you expect people selling cheap tat and the usual stuff you get in touristy places, but didn't think there'd be bad pollution, graffiti and a lack of bin emptying.

Hopefully they've bucked up their ideas since you made that post.