Whitehill welfare 2019/20

Confirmation of the 20s pulling out of the development league. 
2060546259_Screenshot_20190708-221937_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c4def4373aa7c19e80d69a5af1e68c4b.jpg

Sad to see had a lot of good players come through their ranks. Understandable decision regarding the long term future for the team in regards to licensing criteria.

First Post so be gentle .

I for 1 am gutted the 20s have folded not only for progression but would have gave game time to lads who wont be in the match day squad

A major blow when you have a massive squad

i understand the reason behind it but still a negative outcome all round

Newcy im glad a loyal welfare fan is optimistic i enjoyed Saturday although hard to judge and next few matches should see what sort of team/set up we have

not seen all the players yet but will try to give an opinion when i do

i was at 2 matches last season a drubbing by kelty and the win v edin u so two very different games x

This has sadly been on the cards and not for the financial reasons used merely as a cover up. WW were 1 of only 8 founding members of the U20s league and lots of hard work and determination had seen them established as a top club at that level. In 12 months that has turned to dust and at a time when so many others are joining up, especially from Midlothian it is a disaster :(

1 hour ago, WELFARENEWMAN said:

Newcy im glad a loyal welfare fan is optimistic i enjoyed Saturday although hard to judge and next few matches should see what sort of team/set up we have

not seen all the players yet but will try to give an opinion when i do

Nice to see another ww poster. 

If you saw any of the last 2 seasons ww sides then youd have every reason to be optimistic after the weekend.I did say it was very early days though. 

Onto Arniston tonight and hopefully more of the same.

55 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

This has sadly been on the cards and not for the financial reasons used merely as a cover up. WW were 1 of only 8 founding members of the U20s league and lots of hard work and determination had seen them established as a top club at that level. In 12 months that has turned to dust and at a time when so many others are joining up, especially from Midlothian it is a disaster :(

Rab what can you expect when the SFA hold a gun at yer heed and demand thousands for lights. Short term pain = long term gain and aw that. Something had to give and it must cost fortunes to hire pitches and travel to some places miles away on a Friday night. Is there any need for teams to travel the distances on Friday nights.Surely since its development there could be more of a district set up ?

In12 months they had Jardine,Barrett, Murray, Watson and McKenzie to name a few who have all gone on to hold more than their own in leagues higher up than the 20s. They haven't stated anything regarding the 17s so presume their "pathway" is still there for next season and beyond.

The 20s coach didn't help things by taking virtually a full team tae Penicuik wi him and as you state so many local Midlothian teams have now popped up into the development league that finding players aint gonnae be easy. 

Let's wait and see what develops as to a 20s team in the foreseeable and while agreeing it's not good something had to give. 

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

With all due respect rab,romantic thoughts about founding member's etc are the last thing the Whitehill need or are concerned about, there are 2 major issues that Whitehill need to concentrate on, floodlights and getting a team in the pitch that can compete, in an ideal world the club could be supported financially and personnel from top to bottom and have the full level of youth team's, they will never have that in the new era of football, it's dissapointing the 20s have took a hit, in the current climate it's not life changing 

41 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Rab what can you expect when the SFA hold a gun at yer heed and demand thousands for lights. Short term pain = long term gain and aw that. Something had to give and it must cost fortunes to hire pitches and travel to some places miles away on a Friday night. Is there any need for teams to travel the distances on Friday nights.Surely since its development there could be more of a district set up ?

In12 months they had Jardine,Barrett, Murray, Watson and McKenzie to name a few who have all gone on to hold more than their own in leagues higher up than the 20s. They haven't stated anything regarding the 17s so presume their "pathway" is still there for next season and beyond.

The 20s coach didn't help things by taking virtually a full team tae Penicuik wi him and as you state so many local Midlothian teams have now popped up into the development league that finding players aint gonnae be easy. 

Let's wait and see what develops as to a 20s team in the foreseeable and while agreeing it's not good something had to give. 

Sorry Newky I don’t agree. Big budget spent on the first team and then cut the 20s following a couple of disastrous appointments and simply nae players. 

By taking subs, making do with old kit etc, a 20s race night ... and accounting for the ability to run with a smaller 1st team squad certainly than 23 and the big budget spent so saving there it’s perfectly doable Newky.

Sadly none of those talented young players named above left at WW could have been a big cost saver. 

20 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Sorry Newky I don’t agree. Big budget spent on the first team and then cut the 20s following a couple of disastrous appointments and simply nae players. 

By taking subs, making do with old kit etc, a 20s race night ... and accounting for the ability to run with a smaller 1st team squad certainly than 23 and the big budget spent so saving there it’s perfectly doable Newky.

Sadly none of those talented young players named above left at WW could have been a big cost saver. 

You think a race night will cover the costs of running a 20s team....

4 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

How do you know where the 1st team budget has came from  ? 

Theres  a new chairman/vice chairman wi new sponsorship deals in place I dont have a clue the ins and outs of the club but that'll count for something I'd say. 

Whilst youth is a way forward as I stated theres how many local teams now competing against ww for players compared to the 8 founding members of the development league. For every decent one player in a 20s team theres many others that sadly wont make it. 

The budget needs cut for obvious reasons,floodlights will be there a lot longer than players so something had to give. 

Again as I stated let's see what the future holds regarding the 20s. 

Just now, magoo said:

You think a race night will cover the costs of running a 20s team....

Not a chance but if you read my post you’ll see that fundraising idea was part of list. 

2 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

How do you know where the 1st team budget has came from  ? 

Theres  a new chairman/vice chairman wi new sponsorship deals in place I dont have a clue the ins and outs of the club but that'll count for something I'd say. 

Whilst youth is a way forward as I stated theres how many local teams now competing against ww for players compared to the 8 founding members of the development league. For every decent one player in a 20s team theres many others that sadly wont make it. 

The budget needs cut for obvious reasons,floodlights will be there a lot longer than players so something had to give. 

Again as I stated let's see what the future holds regarding the 20s. 

I think it’s pretty obvious where it’s come from Newky and I’d imagine that’ll be added to the player budget.

The bigger the 20s League gets there is bound to dilution in quality. The frustrating thing is WW were punching at top end playing in Midlothian and attracting the best players but now no more. 

14 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Not a chance but if you read my post you’ll see that fundraising idea was part of list. 

Any fundraising will be going on floodlights.....

1 minute ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I think it’s pretty obvious where it’s come from Newky and I’d imagine that’ll be added to the player budget.

The bigger the 20s League gets there is bound to dilution in quality. The frustrating thing is WW were punching at top end playing in Midlothian and attracting the best players but now no more. 

As magoo stated though floodlights are essential now and least getting a team ti compete on the park has to be priority to stop the freefall or would you rather see the club drop to further depths ? 

11 minutes ago, magoo said:

Any fundraising will be going on floodlights.....

I imagine it will be. I specifically said 20s Race night aimed at their parents, friends etc so not impacting on other fundraising efforts.

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

11 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I imagine it will be. I specifically said 20s Race night aimed at their parents, friends etc so not impacting on other fundraising efforts.,

I love your idealistic outlook, the reality is a different beast

37 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

As magoo stated though floodlights are essential now and least getting a team ti compete on the park has to be priority to stop the freefall or would you rather see the club drop to further depths ? 

They are Newky and without them and a license doesn’t bear thinking about. Club badly needs to at least hold itself in the Premier or then take a huge financial drop playing in the 1st Division. I don’t see continuing to have a 20s team as just ideological for the reasons I’ve already stated. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree :)

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

40 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

rab do you think there would be that sort of support for the 20s to finance that ?

as mentioned the 1st team has to be consolidated 1st surely

but 23 players is at least 5 too many i would guess they will move on a few before the season starts as without the 20s  to give games to some

many players will not stay without playing perhaps short term loans will be the answer as 23 is just far too many 

but the Manager will have a plan and is still playing himself as well so will no the problems better than us to keep a huge squad intact/happy

from my experience not playing = not happy = they leave 

On a football playing topic , cant make tonight but im sure my brother is going so hope a good run out for Welfare in a busy few weeks we will see all the players getting a run 

Newcy you said a few still missing from the list i think that Dowie , Keane , Muir were missing at the weekend  football not sure who else but plenty of players to cover anyway