English Premier League 2019-20

Watch Match of the Day the other night as I wanted to see Spurs vs Villa. Other than that game I couldn’t have cared less about the rest and it’s reminded me how little interest I have in the English Premier League. Just an overpriced tourist league. I’ll maybe tune in from time to time, likely to see how Scottish players like McGinn and Tierney get on but other than that, pile of shite.

17 hours ago, Torpar said:

Watched the Palace - Everton game on Saturday morning, what a fantastic advert for the best league in the world! It was a little bit windy in South London which apparently stopped Everton playing their usual brand of world class football, most entertaining thing that happened in the game was a cross hanging in the air for a few extra seconds when the wind took it.

Switched over to the end of QPR v Huddersfield game afterwards, the six minutes I caught was much more entertaining. The wind hadn't reached West London I guess

Sheffield United v Palace this weekend on Sky Sports.  Can't wait.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Watch Match of the Day the other night as I wanted to see Spurs vs Villa. Other than that game I couldn’t have cared less about the rest and it’s reminded me how little interest I have in the English Premier League. Just an overpriced tourist league. I’ll maybe tune in from time to time, likely to see how Scottish players like McGinn and Tierney get on but other than that, pile of shite.

Your love of birdwatching must have taken over. It’s not long ago you were starting threads about Everton, calling them we and waxing about going to Goodison. 

I’ve watched about 30 games so far this season most of it up here but there is no denying that the English top level games are fantastic however much we try and run it down up here in an attempt to try and make ourselves feel better. 

Your love of birdwatching must have taken over. It’s not long ago you were starting threads about Everton, calling them we and waxing about going to Goodison. 
I’ve watched about 30 games so far this season most of it up here but there is no denying that the English top level games are fantastic however much we try and run it down up here in an attempt to try and make ourselves feel better. 

I started following Everton when I was about 15 because everyone else my age followed an English team. My love for them grew rapidly and my dad was good enough to drive me down to Goodison several times to see them play, my first game being on my 16th birthday. This was a big deal, none of my friends had been to see their English team and I felt rather lucky. Going to games only intensified my interest in Everton, I would buy merchandise from the store when I was down there, buy every fanzine and programme and usually receive an Everton top for Christmas. I spend hours reading about their history online and became fairly knowledgable in the club I was following. And of course I watched MOTD religiously to see the highlights.

My last game was in 2016, a 4-0 win against Hull City - Lukaku scoring twice. I enjoyed that game, but my interest was diminishing. I was disgusted by the amount of money PL teams were/are throwing around. A big reason why I liked Everton was that they were mixing with the bigger clubs despite working with a shoe string budget. Punching above their weight. When they were taken over and started regularly signing bang average players for 20-30 million the charm wore off. The final nail in the coffin was the announcement of the new stadium and the realisation that Everton would be leaving what I believe is one of the best football grounds in English football instead of redeveloping like their neighbours.

These days I wouldn’t be able to give you a starting line up. The team has become unrecognisable. I have great memories of following the club and should they manage to get to a final then yes I’ll likely be hoping they win. I still keep an eye out for results as well but I’m really not bothered anymore. I’m much more interested in Scottish football and would rather know how the likes of Cove Rangers or Arbroath got on rather than Everton. A Saturday spent birdwatching followed with Open All Mics on the radio for the drive home. Bliss!

Not far too much effort for P&B, far too much effort in reply to Rab though. A good post, reflective of how I see the gradual loss of identity of English clubs/football.

Now, when I put the telly on and see Wverton the truth is they could just be any team within their budget bracket. A bunch of franchises.

I didn’t realise every goal scored after the use of an arm would be disallowed. Absolutely ridiculous rule. I also feel sorry for the referees, they’re probably going to get a lot more dog’s abuse than they already receive for a rule that doesn’t make any logical sense.

The previous handball rule wasn’t completely perfect, but it really wasn’t far off it. The new rule, along with VAR, is deeply damaging to the excitement of the sport itself.

I’m just glad Scottish football is miles away from having the money and the technology to implement it.

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

I didn’t realise every goal scored after the use of an arm would be disallowed. Absolutely ridiculous rule. I also feel sorry for the referees, they’re probably going to get a lot more dog’s abuse than they already receive for a rule that doesn’t make any logical sense.

You don't think they got abuse before when they had to decide whether the ball touching the arm (leading to a goal) was deliberate or not? It makes perfect sense to have a black and white rule which makes it easier for referees to enforce. Couple of examples:

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I started following Everton when I was about 15 because everyone else my age followed an English team. My love for them grew rapidly and my dad was good enough to drive me down to Goodison several times to see them play, my first game being on my 16th birthday. This was a big deal, none of my friends had been to see their English team and I felt rather lucky. Going to games only intensified my interest in Everton, I would buy merchandise from the store when I was down there, buy every fanzine and programme and usually receive an Everton top for Christmas. I spend hours reading about their history online and became fairly knowledgable in the club I was following. And of course I watched MOTD religiously to see the highlights.

My last game was in 2016, a 4-0 win against Hull City - Lukaku scoring twice. I enjoyed that game, but my interest was diminishing. I was disgusted by the amount of money PL teams were/are throwing around. A big reason why I liked Everton was that they were mixing with the bigger clubs despite working with a shoe string budget. Punching above their weight. When they were taken over and started regularly signing bang average players for 20-30 million the charm wore off. The final nail in the coffin was the announcement of the new stadium and the realisation that Everton would be leaving what I believe is one of the best football grounds in English football instead of redeveloping like their neighbours.

These days I wouldn’t be able to give you a starting line up. The team has become unrecognisable. I have great memories of following the club and should they manage to get to a final then yes I’ll likely be hoping they win. I still keep an eye out for results as well but I’m really not bothered anymore. I’m much more interested in Scottish football and would rather know how the likes of Cove Rangers or Arbroath got on rather than Everton. A Saturday spent birdwatching followed with Open All Mics on the radio for the drive home. Bliss!

It’s certainly taken a while but your honesty is refreshing. Think the above is the natural path of many up here having an English team with the novelty wearing off and resulting in dog walking / bird watching / bowls etc instead. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Not far too much effort for P&B, far too much effort in reply to Rab though. A good post, reflective of how I see the gradual loss of identity of English clubs/football.

Now, when I put the telly on and see Wverton the truth is they could just be any team within their budget bracket. A bunch of franchises.

I disagree here Bairny. I don’t see how our clubs up here have any more identity. I’d even argue that the Premier League club down south have retained a lot more than clubs up here bouncing the same players round on 1 year deals. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

It’s certainly taken a while but your honesty is refreshing. Think the above is the natural path of many up here having an English team with the novelty wearing off and resulting in dog walking / bird watching / bowls etc instead. 

Just to be clear, my previous post wasn’t some sort of confession to you (I know how much you love to try to wind me up about “The Ev” to no avail) as I’ve said in the post and in previous ones to you - I have felt this way for a few years now. Also, I’ve enjoyed bird watching since I was a kid. It’s not like I needed to try and fill an Everton sized hole in my life [emoji23] although I get the feeling you were probably fishing with that final point.

2 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I disagree here Bairny. I don’t see how our clubs up here have any more identity. I’d even argue that the Premier League club down south have retained a lot more than clubs up here bouncing the same players round on 1 year deals. 

Only if you think that English football started in 1992.

15 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just to be clear, my previous post wasn’t some sort of confession to you (I know how much you love to try to wind me up about “The Ev” to no avail) as I’ve said in the post and in previous ones to you - I have felt this way for a few years now. Also, I’ve enjoyed bird watching since I was a kid. It’s not like I needed to try and fill an Everton sized hole in my life emoji23.png although I get the feeling you were probably fishing with that final point.

Come on now jambo initially to plenty of avail :D

Fishing could be another retirement option too ... :D

10 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Only if you think that English football started in 1992.

Crazy but some do Cerby. 

Man City have been fined 370,000 Swiss Francs for breaching rules surrounding the signing of international U18 players
The same crime that Chelsea are currently serving a transfer ban for
The difference between the two punishments is Chelsea were guilty with 29 transfers and did not admit any guilt. While City were guilty on 2 transfers, admitted their guilt and cooperated with the investigation.

7 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I just go to the odd game Kuro :)

Makes sense, as Liverpool are a club for people from or with a strong familial connection to the city of Liverpool funnily enough.  Anything else would simply be glory hunting and utterly pathetic.