English Premier League 2019-20

The usual criticism of keepers is 'He's a good shot stopper but...'

What's weird about Pickford is that he has those other limitations but doesn't seem to even be a good shot stopper either. He is comfortably the worst 1st choice keeper in the league.

Edit: Although he may have redeemed himself slightly at the end there!

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I think that's the right decision there. Sigurdsson is right in front of the keeper and is clearly putting doubt in his mind when that shot comes in.
Pish. He's on the ground and De Gea has a clear sight. It's the deflection off Maguire than catches him out. An absolutely embarrassing decision yet again by the VAR.

Guest DAVIDB69

I suppose we are now in March and we could have Leicester , wolves , Sheffield united and Burnley all qualifying for Europe next season

What's weird about Pickford is that the usual criticism of keepers is 'He's a good shot stopper but...'
What's weird about Pickford is that he has those other limitations but doesn't seem to even be a good shot stopper either. He is comfortably the worst 1st choice keeper in the league.
Edit: Although he may have redeemed himself slightly at the end there!

He had a pretty solid World Cup, for the most part. He throws in too many over the long term, and you’d have thought England and Everton could both do better.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
I think that's the right decision there. Sigurdsson is right in front of the keeper and is clearly putting doubt in his mind when that shot comes in.

Pish. He's on the ground and De Gea has a clear sight. It's the deflection off Maguire than catches him out. An absolutely embarrassing decision yet again by the VAR.

The ball goes right past his foot, he literally has to move out of the way of it. That is obviously going to affect the goalkeeper.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Aye. I personally don't think he had any effect on it.  I think the deflection did the damage, but him being there has to be considered when making that decision. I honestly don't think they had a choice there.

I'm not sure if this matters but there was absolutely no chance he was saving it after Maguire's deflection, so it's hard to make an argument for Sigurdsson interfering.

I agree with Craig here fwiw. Sigurdsson is sat right in the path of the ball and has to move out the way, but its absolutely a person to person decision, so on that basis I am unsure why the linesman and ref who both clearly knew the situation (he was offside but was he interfering?) Couldnt make that call. What did VAR bring to that? Nothing. Just a different interpretation of the same decision. Utterly pointless

I agree with Craig here fwiw. Sigurdsson is sat right in the path of the ball and has to move out the way, but its absolutely a person to person decision, so on that basis I am unsure why the linesman and ref who both clearly knew the situation (he was offside but was he interfering?) Couldnt make that call. What did VAR bring to that? Nothing. Just a different interpretation of the same decision. Utterly pointless
They probably just wanted to let the goal initially stand and let VAR clear things up. I actually thought the ref would go to the monitor for it.

Guest DAVIDB69

Wolves should surely fancy their chances of getting fourth . Having a great season , played right through the Europa and no tiredness shite that the English media normally peddle about the Europa

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think the actual actions of the officials were any different to what they would have been without VAR. Neither individual official can really make the decision, since the ref might not be sure if he's offside and the assistant won't have a clue whether he's in de Gea's eyeline. If there's no VAR then the ref will give the goal and then go and discuss with his assistant to double check, and that's exactly what happened here too. The only thing we don't know is what the outcome of that discussion was, since VAR made the decision before the refs had to do anything.

For what it's worth, the two important parts of the law with respect to this incident are:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

I think they're probably fine in terms of the second one, because Sigurdsson moving out of the way didn't affect De Gea's ability to play the ball - he wasn't going to get there anyway. However, Sigurdsson clearly obstructed De Gea's line of vision from the original shot - it's unlikely he would have been able to see the ball when it left the boot of Calvert-Lewin, and that immediately makes it offside regardless of the deflection or anything else.

He doesn't obstruct his line of vision though, that's just what they'll claim. He clearly has his eyes on the ball as the boy strikes it, he's going to his right, it deflects and then he is beaten. Sigurdson's position has absolutely no effect on any of that and it would have been a goal even if he wasn't lying there because De Gea had already committed to going to the right.

As soon as the shot is struck it's offside because Sigurdsson is in his line of vision. The outcome is irrelevant. De Gea still managing to dive despite his view being obstructed doesn't matter, the ball taking a deflection doesn't matter, whether De Gea is going to save it anyway doesn't matter.

If someone is in 50 yards of space but is a yard offside, we don't give the goal because he would have scored anyway even if he hadn't been offside. It's the same concept. As soon as the offence is committed, it's a foul, it doesn't matter what else happens or was going to happen.

Edited by craigkillie