English Premier League 2019-20

Still think the odd defensive mishap that Liverpool have will cost them in Europe this season against decent teams

This.

The constant hype from the English media ignores how shite many EPL teams really are right now.

Dont get me wrong - this is a good Liverpool team but certainly not the greatest that some think they are.

Guest DAVIDB69

This.

The constant hype from the English media ignores how shite many EPL teams really are right now.

Dont get me wrong - this is a good Liverpool team but certainly not the greatest that some think they are.

Atletico Madrid weren’t great last week but they were a few levels about most of the shite they beat weekly

I don't think this Liverpool side are quite as good to watch as some of the other great sides but their league record is insane; folk are talking about 18 wins in a row but it goes well beyond that. They've had one defeat in their last 65 games, 44 in a row unbeaten and 35 wins and a draw in their last 36. Crazy numbers.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I don't think this Liverpool side are quite as good to watch as some of the other great sides but their league record is insane; folk are talking about 18 wins in a row but it goes well beyond that. They've had one defeat in their last 65 games, 44 in a row unbeaten and 35 wins and a draw in their last 36. Crazy numbers.

Aye but they couldnae hack it on a wet Tuesday night in Dingwall. Fact

37 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yet they make a trip to Madrid to play a team in poor form with several starters either out injured or not fully fit and don't even register a shot on target.

A damming indictment of the overall quality of the epl tbh.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Aye but they couldnae hack it on a wet Tuesday night in Dingwall. Fact

Elgin's worse.

33 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Yet they make a trip to Madrid to play a team in poor form with several starters either out injured or not fully fit and don't even register a shot on target.

A damming indictment of the overall quality of the epl tbh.

The EPL that has all four of its clubs in the last 16 of the Champions League, losing only 4 of their 24 group matches; all three of its clubs in the last 32 of the Europa League and all on course for the last 16; the most coefficient points in Europe this season; both of last season's Champions League finalists and both of last season's Europa League finalists?

You're setting that aside because one of them lost 1-0 away in the first leg of a tie at a club that's finished in the top 3 in Spain the last seven seasons in a row, played in 2 Champions Legaue finals in the last 6 seasons and were only knocked out of the competition by Real Madrid four years in a row, won the Europa League the season before last (their third in 8 years), are the fourth highest-ranked team in Europe and have as many coefficient points over the past five years as Liverpool and Inter Milan combined? Who are famously brilliant and belligerent in defence and have conceded by far the fewest goals in La Liga (the best league in Europe) in each of the past four seasons?

I know I took the bait here but I did enjoy it.

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Elgin's worse.

The EPL that has all four of its clubs in the last 16 of the Champions League, losing only 4 of their 24 group matches; all three of its clubs in the last 32 of the Europa League and all on course for the last 16; the most coefficient points in Europe this season; both of last season's Champions League finalists and both of last season's Europa League finalists?

You're setting that aside because one of them lost 1-0 away in the first leg of a tie at a club that's finished in the top 3 in Spain the last seven seasons in a row, played in 2 Champions Legaue finals in the last 6 seasons and were only knocked out of the competition by Real Madrid four years in a row, won the Europa League the season before last (their third in 8 years), are the fourth highest-ranked team in Europe and have as many coefficient points over the past five years as Liverpool and Inter Milan combined? Who are famously brilliant and belligerent in defence and have conceded by far the fewest goals in La Liga (the best league in Europe) in each of the past four seasons?

I know I took the bait here but I did enjoy it.

No one was speaking about the quality of Liverpool or the top four though. It's the strength in depth of the league overall which is the weakest it has been for a long time. 

I have a season ticket for Atleti by the way. Of the back four that started against Liverpool, Savic has had a very poor season, Vrsaljko is nowhere near fully fit and Lodi has been slaughtered by the Spanish press - "Can't defend. Can't Attack" was the headline about him after the Valencia game before the Liverpool game where Torres ran him ragged.

Gimenez and Trippier were both injured from the first choice back line. Felix was also injured, Morata and Costa nowhere near full fitness. Even Koke, has come in for criticism recently and there have been calls for Simeone to go. Only Oblak and Correa have escaped criticism this season. The defence haven't been "famously brilliant or belligerent" this season at all.

Yet Liverpool were utterly clueless against them and didn't register a single shot against them. I still fancy them to go through but let's not pretend that most of the EPL is anything other than absolute fodder and Liverpool's run is a damming indictment of that.

Next time you enjoy taking the bait, maybe read it first. 

Edited by JMDP

For me, Liverpool’s most nervy performance of the season. Still never understand why, but they always seem better with Jordan Henderson in the team. Mané seemed to lack energy, Salah pretty much the same. Firmino having a terrible spell, and doesn’t look surprised when he misses chances. AOC deserves credit for keeping things on the boil as best he can.
Collectively, they are all performing a few percentage points below their best, but they keep winning. West Ham not my favs after the Tevez caper when Sheffield United got screwed over, but they looked much better than bottom three fodder. David Moyes still looks like a haunted man.