English Premier League 2019-20

Am I being stupid here,  VAR is looking to see if Perez had touched the ball, he was clearly onside himself, they were doing it to check if he touched it to decide who had ‘passed’ the ball to Vardy.  Commentary talked as if his actual touch didn’t matter like they thought VAR was checking if Perez was offside and if he was interfering with play.

Edited by parsforlife

Just now, parsforlife said:

Am I being stupid here,  VAR is looking to see if Perez had touched the ball, he was clearly onside himself, they were doing it to check if he touched it to decide who had ‘passed’ the ball to Vardy.  Commentary talked as if his actual touch didn’t matter(like they thought VAR was checking if Perez was offside and if he was interfering with play.

Yeah they missed the point completely. 

Am I being stupid here,  VAR is looking to see if Perez had touched the ball, he was clearly onside himself, they were doing it to check if he touched it to decide who had ‘passed’ the ball to Vardy.  Commentary talked as if his actual touch didn’t matter like they thought VAR was checking if Perez was offside and if he was interfering with play.

Tyler probably distracted trying to think of yet another witty one liner.

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Yes, this is exactly what they were doing.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Correct, the VAR was looking to see if Perez touched as that would have changed the point where they would judge offside from.

Clueless commentators are one of the biggest problems when it comes to the general public knowing what's going on with VAR.

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Correct, the VAR was looking to see if Perez touched as that would have changed the point where they would judge offside from.

Clueless commentators are one of the biggest problems when it comes to the general public knowing what's going on with VAR.

I do think being able to hear what ref and VAR are discussing would generally be helpful for the system, but shutting up commentators and replacing them with guys who actually understand what their looking at and the rules of the game would be the biggest help. Doesn’t even need to be the actual referring team for that day.  Just someone who has half a clue.

Edited by parsforlife

They're discussing Arsenal making the Champions League, not the top 4. The final Champions League spot will likely be in 5th place due to Man City's cheating, and but for that late goal Arsenal would have been within 3 points of that spot.

43 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I do think being able to hear what ref and VAR are discussing would generally be helpful for the system, but shutting up commentators and replacing them with guys who actually understand what their looking at and the rules of the game would be the biggest help. Doesn’t even need to be the actual referring team for that day.  Just someone who has half a clue.

Of course, ref mic either live or delayed would solve a lot of problems and people would learn things. Getting the commentators to watch the Dutch FA's VAR videos would be good as well.

But people seem to have forgotten what was said at the start of the season. The referee explains what they've seen to the VAR, for example in this case "reckless challenge, not enough for a red etc", then the VAR looks at the footage to see if that matches with what the ref said, to check if they missed anything. Here they would reply "point of contact on the knee, studs up, excessive force, etc - recommend an on-field review" - ref has a quick look to confirm and job done.

14 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Did firmino have that ridiculous hair against villa? Is that to detract from his gnashers?

Dunno. I think he’s the kind of person incapable of not being ridiculous.  

Other thoughts: Robbo dropped.  Finished.  
First goal was awful by Brighton but that second was a good finish.   And Carragher said Liverpool are the best in the world at pressing and counterattacking, and I think he said something similar about headed goals from corners.  He’s hapless.  

edit: on a more serious note, this Williams guy has obviously been told to sit down and watch Robertson.  He looks every bit as good, to me. 

Edited by Savage Henry

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Dunno. I think he’s the kind of person incapable of not being ridiculous.  

Other thoughts: Robbo dropped.  Finished.  
First goal was awful by Brighton but that second was a good finish.   And Carragher said Liverpool are the best in the world at pressing and counterattacking, and I think he said something similar about headed goals from corners.  He’s hapless.  

edit: on a more serious note, this Williams guy has obviously been told to sit down and watch Robertson.  He looks every bit as good, to me. 

Williams is a natural right-back who can also play left-back. He's been at the club since he was a kid and come through the academy. Another one for the future.