English Premier League 2019-20

5 minutes ago, Warren Mears said:

The ten point lead stuff is disingenuous obviously, and needless given losing the seven point lead the way they did doesn't exactly shower them in glory.

They lost by the finest of margins away to Man City at the beginning of January and drew at home to Leicester and away to Manchester U, West Ham and the Ev. Won everything else. The highest runners up total of all time. 

They were certainly showered in glory at the end of the season mind you :)

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

It really isn’t/wasn’t that simple though.

We are going round in circles now and it's all a bit pointless. End of the day Liverpool won nothing. The poster who claimed their lead now is huge just needed reminded that they had double that last season. Long way to go.

We did go round In circles but you blatantly disregarded the fact that city had a game in hand with your 10 point carry on,and the fact that Liverpool still had city away coming up making it a 4 point lead in no time at all.

They drew to the Ev on 3 March a week after drawing 0-0 to Man Utd so I suppose you could argue this is bottling it when you aren’t beating your biggest rivals but that is incredibly harsh considering they then went on to win 9 games on the trot.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

We did go round In circles but you blatantly disregarded the fact that city had a game in hand with your 10 point carry on,and the fact that Liverpool still had city away coming up making it a 4 point lead in no time at all.

I didn't disregard it. Teams would rather have points on the board. When they went ten points ahead did Klopp come out and say "well, actually, it's only 7. Man City are playing tomorrow. Then it'll probably be 4 because, you know, we have to go to City". 

They had a ten point lead because they had secured more points than City. Ten more, to be precise. They bottled it and threw away the title as at the seasons end, they lost more points than City did. It doesn't matter a single jot that they won 9 games in a row, they threw it away before that. 

Edited by Dele

1 minute ago, Dele said:

I didn't disregard it. Teams would rather have points on the board. When they went ten points ahead did Klopp come out and say "well, actually, it's only 7. Man City are playing tomorrow. Then it'll probably be 4 because, you know, we have to go to City". 

They had a ten point lead because they had secured more points than City. Ten more, to be precise. They bottled it and threw away the title as at the seasons end, they lost more points than City did. It doesn't matter a single jot that they won 9 games in a row, they threw it away before that. 

No they didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

You can say they bottled a 7 point lead, but you can't say they bottled a 10 point lead. They had no say in whether the lead was cut from 10 to 7.

I do remembering watching the Man Utd and Everton games where they drew 0-0 and saying that I thought they were far too happy and accepting of the result. In neither game did they really push for the win late on like they really needed it, particularly against a weakened Man Utd side they seemed very accepting of a draw. It was like they thought they were the remaining tough games and draws would be enough provided they won the rest. Even if they had gone all out for the win in both and won one and lost one they would still have been a point better off (would still have probably lost out on goal difference mind you).  I think it was an error of judgement, when you watched Man City played Utd a few weeks later they went there and cruised it which if Liverpool had been more adventurous I think they would have too. When Liverpool lost their lead that was when they really cranked it up because they knew they had to win. If they'd done that a few weeks earlier they would have won the league.

Also easy to over analyse though, they were an inch away from a second goal away at Man City which would have probably won them the league.