English Premier League 2019-20

7 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

The one thing Fergie had going for him is that man united were by far and away the most attractive club in english football, and one of the most attractive in the world as well as being minted, fergie was dropping 30mill on rio ferdinand while there nearest rivals in english football werent spending half that 

Fergie was an astounding man manager, but he wasnt the best in the market either, he was lucky that the others couldnt match them financially, think of all the guys like barthez, bebe, veron etc that united spunked silly money on, they were rotten but united survives it due to have the financial muscle to buy the obviously talented players like Rooney, vidic, ferdinand, etc

I wouldn't say they were all that attractive tbh, I don't think they ever played with the style of peak Arsenal, Barcelona, etc. But they were incredibly compelling. Apart from a handful of away games they were always on the front foot, fiercely competitive, desperate to assert their authority on the opposition, dominate the game and always, always pressing forward. Like them or loathe them, you couldn't stop watching. 

Fergie's real genius IMO, what lifted him well above other managers who've been successful in England, was his ability to refresh the team and move with the times. In the mid 00s I thought his time was coming to an end, he was a 4411 guy to his toes and tactics were developing quickly. He was never tactically innovative like Bielsa, Sacchi, Lobanovsky etc. But he made the transition to a front three of Rooney, Ronaldo and Giggs brilliantly. To create not just winning team, but dominant teams, teams that win Champions Leagues, in pretty different eras, at the same club... 

And look at the state of them now. When Pogba's not in the team it's like watching... well, Newcastle, but without the defensive discipline. Fergie would be birlin' in his grave if he were deid.

16 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Nail on the head Gordon. People can talk about spending this and spending that but  the most important person is the man in the dugout and his coaching staff. 

Klopp’s got Jordan Henderson lifting European Cups alongside James Milner, Andy Robertson, Gini Wijnaldum etc. 

That's because Henderson is actually a very talented player. He's exactly the kind of player that Man United are lacking. 

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

with nothing in life apart from picking at posters all over the forum.

I suppose I could just pretend to be blootered and make up stories of killing stray dogs and my own family for attention. That wouldn't be in any way fucking weird. 

I wouldn't say they were all that attractive tbh, I don't think they ever played with the style of peak Arsenal, Barcelona, etc. But they were incredibly compelling. Apart from a handful of away games they were always on the front foot, fiercely competitive, desperate to assert their authority on the opposition, dominate the game and always, always pressing forward. Like them or loathe them, you couldn't stop watching. 
Fergie's real genius IMO, what lifted him well above other managers who've been successful in England, was his ability to refresh the team and move with the times. In the mid 00s I thought his time was coming to an end, he was a 4411 guy to his toes and tactics were developing quickly. He was never tactically innovative like Bielsa, Sacchi, Lobanovsky etc. But he made the transition to a front three of Rooney, Ronaldo and Giggs brilliantly. To create not just winning team, but dominant teams, teams that win Champions Leagues, in pretty different eras, at the same club... 
And look at the state of them now. When Pogba's not in the team it's like watching... well, Newcastle, but without the defensive discipline. Fergie would be birlin' in his grave if he were deid.

I disagree about them always, always pressing forward. Ferguson’s 90’s and early 00’s Man Utd side, particularly at Old Trafford were often set up to be defensively solid, sit in and hit teams on the counter attack. You never seen the likes of Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Van Nistelroy, Giggs, Beckham etc playing a pressing game. They’d sit in and rely on the likes of Roy Keane & Nicky Butt to break up and spoil play, then give it to Paul Scholes to send Giggs, Beckham on their way down the wings.

Forgetting all the attacking flair etc for a second, the other thing that separates the Fergie era Man Utd team from what’s followed since; Pretty much every other player in Fergie’s Man Utd teams was a captain and a leader without necessarily wearing the armband, and this more than anything else is what I think Man Utd have sorely lacked in the post Fergie era.

16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49958077

Has this got anything to do with you?

Probably, I can't keep up with all the nonsense I get up to, blind drunk most of the time. No excuse Sarge, but it the only one I've got. 

8 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Remember this-

Image result for epl taking selfies with opponents

Just lost the game and you're all smiles and wanting selfies with an opponents player, a guy who snaked his way out your club for extra money.
The EPL summed up.

We all know you’ve had your photo taken with the Partick Thistle mascot Cerby :lol:

A few tourists down the front. We were halfway back to the tube station. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

5 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I do find this an interesting debate on here, until one or two hijack it with there own personal agenda.

I've said it before, I don't mind the football tourist. It brings in a lot of money for the big clubs. The people who go every week will not spend money in the club shop to the same extent as the tourists do, fact.

Work it out, 10,000 "fans" spending around £40 to £50 every home match that locals will not spend is not to be sneezed at. That, obviously has a major down side as well, as there could be 10,000 young locals turning up every week who, over a life time could potentially spend more and maybe more importantly, want to play football instead of FIFA.

At the end of the end though, it's all about money these days, whether we like it or not. Not a lot we can do about it.