English Premier League 2019-20

They clearly need even more spent. To be honest, they only spent 70 million net in the summer. Not much in today's market.
Has this chat on here recently but when you consider the number of top notch players they need for a squad worth mentioning, and the cost of such players, its fucking mind bending whats required there. You just cant fall that far behind and they are realistically 4 or 5 years of year on year good progress away from being relevant. They probably need to spent something like half a billion to get what they need and thats without considering wastage and failed signings etc that always happen.

Post Fergie has been an unmitigated disaster for them. The scale of it doesnt get talked about but thats fall of an empire stuff.

Looking at Man Utd and recent history when they won the league under Fergie even then it was papering over cracks. 

The rot is set deep and lies at the door of the Glazers and Woodward. 

They are just run as a business and have no football people in the decision making process.

The Pogba signing can be confirmed as just a shirt selling exercise. The footballing merits of that can be put to rest.

Things won't change there until the Glazers and their yes men are binned.

You look at their squad and it is full of dross. 

Ole is out of his depth though and will be the fall guy but nothing will change. Klopp or Guardiola couldn't do much to improve things.

They still make massive amounts of money so I assume by that so do the Glazers?

They have a mid table squad and a relatively novice head coach so they are trending in the right direction.

Maybe Mourinho didn't too badly in hindsight?

37 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

They’ll bring in the Longstaff brothers for 100 million in January. I mean that’s normally how they do business these days.

They're getting linked with James Maddison for £100m to. He'll finish higher up the table if he stays with Leicester City.

Post Fergie has been an unmitigated disaster for them. The scale of it doesnt get talked about but thats fall of an empire stuff.

Amen. But the squad wasn't great under Ferguson, it's just that he was a ridiculously good manager. He was able to wring performances out of individuals and the team that no-one else could have. His presence, authority, intensity, consistency, expectations and motivational skills made a barely top four squad champions against wildly higher spending opponents.

The squad was better than it is now, of course. Who's the second best player in their books?

I say all that and I never really liked the guy...

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Amen. But the squad wasn't great under Ferguson, it's just that he was a ridiculously good manager. He was able to wring performances out of individuals and the team that no-one else could have. His presence, authority, intensity, consistency, expectations and motivational skills made a barely top four squad champions against wildly higher spending opponents.

The squad was better than it is now, of course. Who's the second best player in their books?

I say all that and I never really liked the guy...

Nail on the head Gordon. People can talk about spending this and spending that but  the most important person is the man in the dugout and his coaching staff. 

Klopp’s got Jordan Henderson lifting European Cups alongside James Milner, Andy Robertson, Gini Wijnaldum etc. 

That starting line up from Man Utd today must be the worst they have ever put out for a premier league game.
To think of the money they have laid out to get in this position Is mind blowing. 
It's hilariously bad. The subs bench was bereft of options as well. Having Rojo, Greenwood and Chong coming on ffs [emoji23]

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

They, quite literally, need a brand new squad.  

They need a proper reboot, and I genuinely think a relegation type event that blows the place up might potentially help them long term.

Just now they just flail about grasping at plasters to try and stop a half cut off leg from dropping off. This approach of completely changing your signing approach (this latest one of only signing young, British, players is just hilariously naive) isnt sustainable at all.

They should've kept Van Gaal.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They need a proper reboot, and I genuinely think a relegation type event that blows the place up might potentially help them long term.

Just now they just flail about grasping at plasters to try and stop a half cut off leg from dropping off. This approach of completely changing your signing approach (this latest one of only signing young, British, players is just hilariously naive) isnt sustainable at all.

They should've kept Van Gaal.

I think the ridiculous changes in signing approaches highlight probably the main issue after Ferguson, which is that actually under Ferguson the club was not structured like a modern day football club. Ferguson was in charge of everything, there was no sporting director or a team over-seeing the club's recruitment policy, so when he left there was no continuity at all. They have ended up with manager led recruitment which means 4 different signing policies, one with each manager.

When Ferguson said he was going the first thing the club should have done was put in place a sporting director, director of football or whatever else you want to call it, decide what the signing strategy was going to be for the next few years, and then appoint a manager. At least that way if/when the manager gets sacked it doesn't mean shipping out all his signings and spending another £200 million on new ones who play a completely different way, and then this process repeating. Moyes seemed to be after a couple of big name signings, but who didn't fit any particular profile (signing Mata and Fellaini, two polar opposites), Van Gaal was more possession based players, Mourinho more physical, and Solskjaer younger British ones. The end result is a complete mess, no identity and no quality. Solskjaer was clearly a ridiculous appointment and they should get rid as soon as possible, but this is still going to take years to fix due to the deeper running issues.

They're getting linked with James Maddison for £100m to. He'll finish higher up the table if he stays with Leicester City.

I’ve also seen Maddison being touted as a replacement for Eriksen at Spurs. The way things are going at Spurs so far this season, again, he’ll probably finish higher up the table staying with Leicester.

Chelsea doing okay this season. 

Interesting that the (xenophobic) abuse of Sarri last season hasn't continued this year, despite Lampard continuing to play Jorginho deep and Kante further forward. It's almost like he was correct.