Cove Thread

Players back in training this Saturday.

We only have a squad of 14 plus 4 youths who will inevitable need to be loaned out to the Highland League or even Juniors (Jack Robertson and Mikey Milnes). I suspect there's still a little bit of movement outbound too.

Is it time to revel in which out of contract players we'd like to see at Balmoral? Here's a list I put together from the top of my head; fully aware that we won't get many/any. 

Kieran Ngewnya (LB)   Signing for Dunfermline

Released from Aberdeen, local to the area, probably could find a Championship club but would likely be a backup LB at that level. A season in L1 playing regular football, training full time could be an attractive proposition

Brody Paterson (LB)  Signed for Kelty

Alternatively if Kieran isn't an option will Hartley go back to who he knows and try for Brody? He only played about 2 games for us, might even have been friendlies so seems a gamble, not sure what we'd get. @leomessi1984 how was he at Kelty? Didn't really light it up it's fair to say?

Andy Considine (CB)

Rumours being doing the rounds for months if not longer. At 37 it would be a short term sticky plaster over a gaping wound. He hasn't called retirement yet so still a chance he'd fancy getting paid relative peanuts to play 1 more year. 

Jack Sanders (CB)  Signed for St Johnstone

After an unforeseen poor loan spell at Ayr and being moved on by Del at Killie, this is OUR time to get the formiddable defender back to Cove. Would be a good asset in L1 although I'm sure McIntyre will be enquiring too. I did my bit to persuade him when talking to him near the dugout at Pittodrie when I watched Killie grab a late 1-0 win against the Dons at the turn of the year.

Cammy Logan (RB)

Had a loan spell with us previously when at Hearts, came at the same time as Connor Smith. Released from QoS. We do have Mikey Doyle in that area but no cover.

Declan Glass (AM) - Signed for Cove!

Out of contract, is a fans favourite but clearly was wrongly starved of game time under Hartley in his second spell with us when in the Championship. Looked outstanding against Morton in the final game of that season. Would light up League 1 in a favourable midfield.

Cammy Smith (AM/RM)

He's born and bred up here and severly needs game time to resurrect his career. There's been the odd rumour and I heard had signed a conditional offer with us in winter 2023 but we went down and he withdrew.

Archie Meekison (AM)

Brief loan spell with us previously. Needs games so interested to see where he goes after leaving Dundee United.

Charlie Telfer (CM) - On Ross County radar

We don't really need another CM with Fyvie, Blair and Scully but he's an option and we have a tendency to recruit ex-Dundee United (and Falkirk) players. 

Harvey Walker (RW)

Looked absolutely rapid against us. @QoS99 / @Otis Blue - what went wrong and where's he going? 

Alex Jakubiak (FW)

Didn't he play under Hartley at Falkik and Dundee? Released from Dunfermline. Can't really see him coming down to L1 but would gladly accept him.

Akheem Rose (FW)

Proved in his loan spell with Accies he's a goalscorer. Strong and physical so would compliment Mitch.

Gabby McGill (FW)

Released from Airdrie. Must admit I've always been quite impressed with him when I've seen him. Could do a job for us.

Other players I'll keep an eye out for are;

Zak Delaney, Wallace Duffy, Stephen Warnock, Patrick Jarret, Tommy Robson, Cammy Ballantyne

There's a raft of other players and many loan options. The latter is something I hope we utilise better than we've done in the past. Never fall in love with a loan player they say. I'd say we've rarely ever had that chance!

Edited by CoveRangers1922

24 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Harvey Walker (RW)

Looked absolutely rapid against us. @QoS99 / @Otis Blue - what went wrong and where's he going? 

From a selfish point of view I'd love him to rock up at a rival. You've highlighted his only attribute. Other than that he was absolutely woeful. Convinced he's just a fitness instructor who managed to wangle a couple of years contracts at gullible football clubs. 

Walker had a really good goal scoring record at Aldershot U23’s before joining us, obviously have no idea how much lower that level would compare to ours. Despite this, he was terrible. He started the season starting the odd game before getting bombed completely by Bartley, who I think got fed up of his defensive work and lack of commitment, as he would often duck out of challenges.

Regarding Cammy Logan, he was absolutely awful last season as a signed player, however he was alright when we had him on loan the season before. There were rumours of him going to Hamilton or Morton (before signing Ballantyne). If he could get a Championship move it would be Vincent Kompany to Bayern levels of failing upwards. He could perhaps do okay for you but I’d much rather Mickey Doyle to be honest. @CoveRangers1922

26 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

From a selfish point of view I'd love him to rock up at a rival. You've highlighted his only attribute. Other than that he was absolutely woeful. Convinced he's just a fitness instructor who managed to wangle a couple of years contracts at gullible football clubs. 

That puts us in contention with Hartley at the helm.

Yeah blistering pace is a strong attribute but clearly need others to have a meaningful and consistent impact and career. Interested to see where he goes next.

8 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Walker had a really good goal scoring record at Aldershot U23’s before joining us, obviously have no idea how much lower that level would compare to ours. Despite this, he was terrible. He started the season starting the odd game before getting bombed completely by Bartley, who I think got fed up of his defensive work and lack of commitment, as he would often duck out of challenges.

Regarding Cammy Logan, he was absolutely awful last season as a signed player, however he was alright when we had him on loan the season before. There were rumours of him going to Hamilton or Morton (before signing Ballantyne). If he could get a Championship move it would be Vincent Kompany to Bayern levels of failing upwards. He could perhaps do okay for you but I’d much rather Mickey Doyle to be honest. @CoveRangers1922

Neither seem likely to improve us and seemingly correctly moved on.

I'd be taking Cammy B over Cammy L any day too. Later isn't Championship quality at this stage.

Doyle is fine at RB for L1, he's a leader and committed without doing anything exceptional. Still need competition or cover.

We desperately need pace and width, something we haven't had in seasons but they need do to be comfortable with ball at feet or it's pointless.

Hopefully Leighton does you well

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Harvey Walker (RW)

Already been covered by other Queens fans earlier - yes he's rapid and should have been a weapon at this level, but there's no end product and doesn't do enough for the team.

I quite liked Logan in his loan spell but fell away badly last season - could have been that Bartley just destroyed his confidence though.

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Neither seem likely to improve us and seemingly correctly moved on.

I'd be taking Cammy B over Cammy L any day too. Later isn't Championship quality at this stage.

Doyle is fine at RB for L1, he's a leader and committed without doing anything exceptional. Still need competition or cover.

We desperately need pace and width, something we haven't had in seasons but they need do to be comfortable with ball at feet or it's pointless.

Hopefully Leighton does you well

How was McIntosh for you guys?

Edited by QoS99

21 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

How was MckIntosh for you guys?

To start with McIntosh was 3rd choice and mostly utilised from the bench. We did have Mitch, close to his prime, alongside Rory and they formed an outstanding partnership which was hard to break. He always had a knack of scoring when he played and without doubt caused defences trouble. Scored a couple of vital goals en-route to winning the league title.

In the Championship he chalked up 8 goals in 31 league games in a team, which for the second part of the season, was truly horrendous . He's got a decent leap, still got enough pace to cause some problems and can finish. Should be a relatively solid signing.

43 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely Considine either retires or plays for you. 

My thoughts too. We still don't have an assistant manager. Potentially a dual role if he endure Hartley.

9 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

My thoughts too. We still don't have an assistant manager. Potentially a dual role if he endure Hartley.

A Fyvie/Considine coalition to perform a coup on Hartley by January is something I could get behind.

2 hours ago, Jo9 said:

A Fyvie/Considine coalition to perform a coup on Hartley by January is something I could get behind.

I'd go along with that too.

It's almost, or is, a running joke how safe a position Hartley has with us. Only he would get another season after the last 18 months. Might prove us wrong and turn the ship around. To do that he needs to up his game in the recruitment and learn how to field a team which doesn't bleed goals.

Any out of contract players you, @covefan97, @Watson Nimrod or @Moorie would like to see at Balmoral next season?

Clark Robertson could be a shout given he's local and returned home from Israel. Will have offers so would need to be wanting to stay in Aberdeen to play for us.

To be honest I am terrible with names and stats of players outside of Cove unless they are a standout, so I tend to wait until they are announced as signed before looking more into them.  Just one of those things that I don't really take in for some reason.

Of the options I know, I think Considine would be a good shout, I think he would take in a bit of experience and knowledge, and on the other side, he is already well known and liked by a lot of people in the Aberdeen area so who knows could potentially take some fans in.  I noticed you mentioned Glass, I would happily take him back, I always thought he was a good player who just didn't get enough time to shine when he was here last, but it was a different team then.

I think it also comes down to, are we still doing this hybrid model, if so, I would like to see some more experienced players taken in, the likes of Considine who can slot into part time or full time, as well as some younger less experienced players, with those younger players I do think we would need to accept the risk that not all of them would work out or they just spend their time on loan.  I think we should use the loan market as well but not rely on it, perhaps try and cultivate a better relationship with Aberdeen and potentially the Dundees.

And as much as he has been a club hero etc, I do think we need to take the captains armband off of Mitch, I think if he didn't have that last season there would have been a chance young Kyle might have got more game time.

Surprised to see Harvey Walker down as right winger, pretty sure he played almost exclusively on the left in his game time at QoS. As has been covered, a fast, head down and run type of player, usually into a dead end.

Any out of contract players you, @covefan97, @Watson Nimrod or @Moorie would like to see at Balmoral next season?

I don't think we'd get him as lower end championship sides will likely be in for him, but Dylan Corr from Raith would be a great signing for us. He's most likely left Raith as he's young and needs to develop with regular playing time, which we would probably give him. My only concern is that he hasn't played 25/30 games in a season, so will likely be a bit raw, but with an experienced centre half beside him (Considine), I think he'd do well as he looked decent in the games he played for Raith. All the others you mentioned are players that I'd like to see here. David Wotherspoon could be an option and still looked like he could do a job with United and Inverness, however I fear it could end similar to McGowan.

I'd go along with that too.

It's almost, or is, a running joke how safe a position Hartley has with us. Only he would get another season after the last 18 months. Might prove us wrong and turn the ship around. To do that he needs to up his game in the recruitment and learn how to field a team which doesn't bleed goals.

Clark Robertson could be a shout given he's local and returned home from Israel. Will have offers so would need to be wanting to stay in Aberdeen to play for us.

Long shot but Andrew Shinnie would be a good shout. 34 now so only few years left in the legs but would do well in league 1. For some reason see him heading to a Lower league championship team. 

josh mcpake seen him at Stirling Albion last season again a proper winger which something you guys have lacked in for a while.

Euan Henderson did well at Hamilton last season. Another winger but again a 433 with two proper wingers in the team would make the difference.

same as Aberdeen previously it’s very hard to attract players to Aberdeen being so far north 

39 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Surprised to see Harvey Walker down as right winger, pretty sure he played almost exclusively on the left in his game time at QoS. As has been covered, a fast, head down and run type of player, usually into a dead end.

Sounds like Broque Watson (recently signed for EK I see) who all Cove fans will still have nightmares about. Will take him off my list!

1 hour ago, Jo9 said:

To be honest I am terrible with names and stats of players outside of Cove unless they are a standout, so I tend to wait until they are announced as signed before looking more into them.  Just one of those things that I don't really take in for some reason.

Of the options I know, I think Considine would be a good shout, I think he would take in a bit of experience and knowledge, and on the other side, he is already well known and liked by a lot of people in the Aberdeen area so who knows could potentially take some fans in.  I noticed you mentioned Glass, I would happily take him back, I always thought he was a good player who just didn't get enough time to shine when he was here last, but it was a different team then.

I think it also comes down to, are we still doing this hybrid model, if so, I would like to see some more experienced players taken in, the likes of Considine who can slot into part time or full time, as well as some younger less experienced players, with those younger players I do think we would need to accept the risk that not all of them would work out or they just spend their time on loan.  I think we should use the loan market as well but not rely on it, perhaps try and cultivate a better relationship with Aberdeen and potentially the Dundees.

And as much as he has been a club hero etc, I do think we need to take the captains armband off of Mitch, I think if he didn't have that last season there would have been a chance young Kyle might have got more game time.

Considine would be a win-win on and off the field. On the field he's easily a better option than Reynolds who looked half the player of the season before and off the field it generates media/attention/likely extra fans coming along. 

I agree it's time Mitch relinquishes the armband. I'd give it to Fyvie personally.

52 minutes ago, covefan97 said:

I don't think we'd get him as lower end championship sides will likely be in for him, but Dylan Corr from Raith would be a great signing for us. He's most likely left Raith as he's young and needs to develop with regular playing time, which we would probably give him. My only concern is that he hasn't played 25/30 games in a season, so will likely be a bit raw, but with an experienced centre half beside him (Considine), I think he'd do well as he looked decent in the games he played for Raith. All the others you mentioned are players that I'd like to see here. David Wotherspoon could be an option and still looked like he could do a job with United and Inverness, however I fear it could end similar to McGowan.

Didn't see much of Corr to be honest but a young, tall centre half who's got potential to develop is exactly the type of player we need. That wasn't Cameron Stewart or Will Gillingham. Latter is lucky to still be at Cove in my opinion. Euan Murray and Keith Watson I remember playing most of the games at centre back for Rovers this season.

I'd like to see Sanders alongside Consi but is that asking a bit too much. Until we see the first signing or two, who know's what we'll end up with!

51 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Long shot but Andrew Shinnie would be a good shout. 34 now so only few years left in the legs but would do well in league 1. For some reason see him heading to a Lower league championship team. 

josh mcpake seen him at Stirling Albion last season again a proper winger which something you guys have lacked in for a while.

Euan Henderson did well at Hamilton last season. Another winger but again a 433 with two proper wingers in the team would make the difference.

same as Aberdeen previously it’s very hard to attract players to Aberdeen being so far north 

About the right neck of the woods for Shinnie. More legs than Vigurs and Draper combined. I read in the paper he still thinks he can play SPL so likely end up in the Championship!

McPake and Henderson are ones I've mentioned previously too. Both good age and have proven in spells they are very capable in L1. Henderson is more an wide striker cutting in I feel, not sure he offers true width or crossing ability but 100% agree we need width BADLY. Under Hartley in our prime it was wing backs that supplied that through Harry and Shay but since then it's been non-existent.

Our corner count dropped like a stone in the last 2 seasons. Mind you haven't had a header of the ball since Rory, and Leighton to some extent, left.

10 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Considine would be a win-win on and off the field. On the field he's easily a better option than Reynolds who looked half the player of the season before and off the field it generates media/attention/likely extra fans coming along. 

I agree it's time Mitch relinquishes the armband. I'd give it to Fyvie personally.

I wonder if the days of the marquee signings are over? I would absolutely love Considine to come on board, think AFC let him go a season too early and even at his age he has looked after himself and could easily handle L1. It would certainly get bums on seats and interest levels back up again after the last few months of last season. 

Out of the list above I would certainly be keen on Declan Glass, we know what we are getting and I think he would very good at this level. Jack Sanders for me would be a no brainer but wouldn’t he not be holding out for a Championship club? 

It might have passed me by but is David Wotherspoon retiring? Legs are going a bit but he was being touted around L1 clubs last season before he got that short term deal at Dundee Utd.

As others have said it’s time we created a better relationship with AFC. We have a very different team now with only 3/4 places locked in. I’ve read before AFC were always reluctant to loan players out to sit on the bench and I know there is a lot said about Alfie Bavidge (a lot of which is parochial shite) but his development would be much better served locally. What I saw of him last season and for Scotland U19’s made me think he could contribute significantly.

We shall see who appears. I suspect next week will see the first arrivals and no doubt some will be players that Hartley is familiar with (Please not Charle Telfer or Alex Jakubiak).

Brody Patterson appears to have regressed after that horrendous injury but might be worth a chance. I’m not hugely inspired by the likes of Kieren Nygwenya 

You never know with Hartley, he might be trawling the English lower leagues as we speak but there are good players out there. I’m still convinced a mix of a few young local proven HL/L2 prospects, our existing backbone of players, some quality loans and picking up some out of contract experience is the best way forward.

A slew of trialists is not what we need.