Cove Thread

9 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Players back in training this Saturday.

We only have a squad of 14 plus 4 youths who will inevitable need to be loaned out to the Highland League or even Juniors (Jack Robertson and Mikey Milnes). I suspect there's still a little bit of movement outbound too.

Is it time to revel in which out of contract players we'd like to see at Balmoral? Here's a list I put together from the top of my head; fully aware that we won't get many/any. 

Kieran Ngewnya (LB)

Released from Aberdeen, local to the area, probably could find a Championship club but would likely be a backup LB at that level. A season in L1 playing regular football, training full time could be an attractive proposition

Brody Paterson (LB)

Alternatively if Kieran isn't an option will Hartley go back to who he knows and try for Brody? He only played about 2 games for us, might even have been friendlies so seems a gamble, not sure what we'd get. @leomessi1984 how was he at Kelty? Didn't really light it up it's fair to say?

Andy Considine (CB)

Rumours being doing the rounds for months if not longer. At 37 it would be a short term sticky plaster over a gaping wound. He hasn't called retirement yet so still a chance he'd fancy getting paid relative peanuts to play 1 more year. 

Jack Sanders (CB)

After an unforeseen poor loan spell at Ayr and being moved on by Del at Killie, this is OUR time to get the formiddable defender back to Cove. Would be a good asset in L1 although I'm sure McIntyre will be enquiring too. I did my bit to persuade him when talking to him near the dugout at Pittodrie when I watched Killie grab a late 1-0 win against the Dons at the turn of the year.

Cammy Logan (RB)

Had a loan spell with us previously when at Hearts, came at the same time as Connor Smith. Released from QoS. We do have Mikey Doyle in that area but no cover.

Declan Glass (AM)

Out of contract, is a fans favourite but clearly was wrongly starved of game time under Hartley in his second spell with us when in the Championship. Looked outstanding against Morton in the final game of that season. Would light up League 1 in a favourable midfield.

Cammy Smith (AM/RM)

He's born and bred up here and severly needs game time to resurrect his career. There's been the odd rumour and I heard had signed a conditional offer with us in winter 2023 but we went down and he withdrew.

Archie Meekison (AM)

Brief loan spell with us previously. Needs games so interested to see where he goes after leaving Dundee United.

Charlie Telfer (CM)

We don't really need another CM with Fyvie, Blair and Scully but he's an option and we have a tendency to recruit ex-Dundee United (and Falkirk) players. 

Harvey Walker (RW)

Looked absolutely rapid against us. @QoS99 / @Otis Blue - what went wrong and where's he going? 

Alex Jakubiak (FW)

Didn't he play under Hartley at Falkik and Dundee? Released from Dunfermline. Can't really see him coming down to L1 but would gladly accept him.

Akheem Rose (FW)

Proved in his loan spell with Accies he's a goalscorer. Strong and physical so would compliment Mitch.

Gabby McGill (FW)

Released from Airdrie. Must admit I've always been quite impressed with him when I've seen him. Could do a job for us.

Other players I'll keep an eye out for are;

Zak Delaney, Wallace Duffy, Stephen Warnock, Patrick Jarret, Tommy Robson, Cammy Ballantyne

There's a raft of other players and many loan options. The latter is something I hope we utilise better than we've done in the past. Never fall in love with a loan player they say. I'd say we've rarely ever had that chance!

Brody was decent. Took him a bit to get going as he was rusty for the first few games. Come the end of the season though he was looking good. We'd love him back but FT beckons for sure.

4 hours ago, Moorie said:

Long shot but Andrew Shinnie would be a good shout. 34 now so only few years left in the legs but would do well in league 1. For some reason see him heading to a Lower league championship team. 

Certainly would be ambitious, like you say the legs might be going but he has played at the highest level and would be 3 classes above the standard of chocolate teapot that turned up on the loanee megabus last summer. 

Was keen to get into broadcasting I seem to remember so a part time contract might suit him. 

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said: 

McPake and Henderson are ones I've mentioned previously too. Both good age and have proven in spells they are very capable in L1. Henderson is more an wide striker cutting in I feel, not sure he offers true width or crossing ability but 100% agree we need width BADLY. Under Hartley in our prime it was wing backs that supplied that through Harry and Shay but since then it's been non-existent.

Our corner count dropped like a stone in the last 2 seasons. Mind you haven't had a header of the ball since Rory, and Leighton to some extent, left.

I only remember McPake from the 2nd home game last season and none of the 3 visits to their place last season so it’s not someone I even thought about. 

Rose will either sign for us or go back down south I would expect. I also expect Henderson to stay with us and if he doesn't it will be because another championship side has offered him more money I would be very surprised if he's playing League 1 football this season.

Just now, squeezebox-son said:

Can we expect anything from this guy?

Screenshot_20240619_121241_X.jpg

If played in the right position he’s not bad.

But I kind of view it as a nothing of value was lost.

13 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Can we expect anything from this guy?

Screenshot_20240619_121241_X.jpg

Battling defensive central midfielder, strong, physical but couldn't pass it the length of himself unfortunately.

Alongside a ball playing midfielder he could be a decent acquisition. 

His lack of ability on the ball really frustrated me at times.

44 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Battling defensive central midfielder, strong, physical but couldn't pass it the length of himself unfortunately.

Alongside a ball playing midfielder he could be a decent acquisition. 

His lack of ability on the ball really frustrated me at times.

Nobody can pass the ball on our tattie field of a pitch anyway so hopefully he'll do well.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Nobody can pass the ball on our tattie field of a pitch anyway so hopefully he'll do well.

I was going to mention something along lines but refrained! He gives everything, will make his presence known that's for sure and be combative. 

Amazingly never sent off for us.

All teams need a big of brute strength. Hope he does well. Needs to find a club to settle at as he's starting to do the rounds.

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was going to mention something along lines but refrained! He gives everything, will make his presence known that's for sure and be combative. 

Amazingly never sent off for us.

All teams need a big of brute strength. Hope he does well. Needs to find a club to settle at as he's starting to do the rounds.

He sounds exactly what we need tbh, Gray will carry the ball forward for us we just need someone in there shutting things down and protecting the defence. 

17 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Tyler Mykyta rejoins Formartine after leaving Cove.

Feel he could easily play in L2 but Formartine have some cash at their disposal

Screenshot_20240619_131410_X.jpg

Think this is a good move for him and us.  Unfortunately didn’t see him factoring in much with our plans this season other than a L2 loan.  He gets back to a team where he’s comfortable and can work towards what he wants to work towards again and we get a player off the books.

Not too fussed with the number that have left so far. I would rate have a slim squad that contributes than a larger squad full of bench riders and loans.   If anything it feels like it’s last years “business” correcting itself.

54 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

Declan is a fantastic piece of business. Is it a sign of intent as he would have had Championship interest for sure? Has the talent to go by people, make spaces create and score himself.

1 year deal isn't ideal though. Impresses and he's away like Rumarn but it's where we are right now.

Hopefully many more to come.

19 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

Think this is a good move for him and us.  Unfortunately didn’t see him factoring in much with our plans this season other than a L2 loan.  He gets back to a team where he’s comfortable and can work towards what he wants to work towards again and we get a player off the books.

Not too fussed with the number that have left so far. I would rate have a slim squad that contributes than a larger squad full of bench riders and loans.   If anything it feels like it’s last years “business” correcting itself.

I'll take quality over quantity too. Fingers cross that's how it materialises

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Tyler Mykyta rejoins Formartine after leaving Cove.

Feel he could easily play in L2 but Formartine have some cash at their disposal

Screenshot_20240619_131410_X.jpg

Definitely would of had him back at station park this season.

Think his clear weakness is how lightweight he can be but apart from that got a quality left foot and always tried to create things.

Good signing Glass is for you guys.

honesty surprised he returned as always thought he was under used from z Hartley in his second loan at the club. 

Two more out the door. Hopefully the start of more players coming in and not the case of the Hartley Renford Rejects trail matches coming up. 

2 hours ago, Moorie said:

Good signing Glass is for you guys.

honesty surprised he returned as always thought he was under used from z Hartley in his second loan at the club. 

Two more out the door. Hopefully the start of more players coming in and not the case of the Hartley Renford Rejects trail matches coming up. 

Glass was on my list of out of contract players I'd hope we'd signed. Hoping some more of them come to fruition.

Definitely a strong start but saying that he was Hartley's first signing on his return in January 2023 and his signings thereafter were completely devoid of any talent.

Apart from Burrell, all other 10 left so far I'm perfectly ok with.

Cross off Mcpake.

Surprisingly when I was down at hospitality for the Stirling Albion Annan game was st Johnstone fans sharing our table. Said they were looking at him. 

42 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Cross off Mcpake.

Surprisingly when I was down at hospitality for the Stirling Albion Annan game was st Johnstone fans sharing our table. Said they were looking at him. 

Just looked at an Albion post just now and McPake has gone to St Johnstone today.