Cove Thread

On 27/11/2021 at 22:51, Jan Vojáček said:

You’ll enjoy Palmerston. It’s a lovely ground. Was always one of my favourites when we were in the big boy leagues. Even though we took a fair few batterings there.

I'll be going down to it with optimism that we can get through. Although we were down twice in the initial game we had plenty of chances, didn't look threatened and looked the better side. Tougher away from home granted.

Hibs away for the winner. Was really hoping for a home tie and anyone apart from the OF. Last time we played Hibs we were 1-0 up against them at HT in the premier sports cup before losing 2-1. Clearly we or QotS will be huge underdogs in that one.

Sons getting a home draw but premiership opposition in Dundee. Thoughts? Both Cove and Dumbarton had Rangers and Aberdeen respectively in the 4th round last year and again would have prem opponents. Would love a cup run but for us likely won't happen.

19 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'll be going down to it with optimism that we can get through. Although we were down twice in the initial game we had plenty of chances, didn't look threatened and looked the better side. Tougher away from home granted.

Hibs away for the winner. Was really hoping for a home tie and anyone apart from the OF. Last time we played Hibs we were 1-0 up against them at HT in the premier sports cup before losing 2-1. Clearly we or QotS will be huge underdogs in that one.

Sons getting a home draw but premiership opposition in Dundee. Thoughts? Both Cove and Dumbarton had Rangers and Aberdeen respectively in the 4th round last year and again would have prem opponents. Would love a cup run but for us likely won't happen.

I don't see there being any reason Cove can't get a result. Especially with the firepower you have. There shouldn't be too much of a gap between a top League One side and struggling Championship team. And if Cove can frustrate QOS a bit then their fans might turn.

Dundee is a bit meh in all honesty. I expect they'll bring a decent crowd, but I also expect they'll knock us out. And it's probably not as much a money-spinner as Aberdeen (again) or someone like Hearts/Hibs would be. 

Personally I wanted a local derby with Clydebank given I was four the last time we played competitively, so have absolutely no memory of it. But I'm not sure my nerves could take that!

Dundee should beat us - but it's not going to be totally impossible to cause an upset. 

17 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove pumping Rangers B is something we're doing for all the Scottish League sides bar the OF

That's something for us all to cheer. Although having the word Rangers in your name and p[laying in blue takes a little of the shine off.

1 hour ago, AlbionMan said:

That's something for us all to cheer. Although having the word Rangers in your name and p[laying in blue takes a little of the shine off.

Yes unfortunate having Rangers in our name but we feel exactly the same way about the old firm as any other club!

20 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I don't see there being any reason Cove can't get a result. Especially with the firepower you have. There shouldn't be too much of a gap between a top League One side and struggling Championship team. And if Cove can frustrate QOS a bit then their fans might turn.

Dundee is a bit meh in all honesty. I expect they'll bring a decent crowd, but I also expect they'll knock us out. And it's probably not as much a money-spinner as Aberdeen (again) or someone like Hearts/Hibs would be. 

Personally I wanted a local derby with Clydebank given I was four the last time we played competitively, so have absolutely no memory of it. But I'm not sure my nerves could take that!

Dundee should beat us - but it's not going to be totally impossible to cause an upset. 

Hoping Sons can cause an upset. Watched the game on TV last year against the Dons and you ran them very close. A local derby is what I wanted too. I'll dream about that in the 5th round but Hibs will likely put us out in all honesty if we get that far.

Having seen QotS they are no better than the top 5 of L1 imo. I reckon Ayr, Hamilton and Morton are very close in standard too.

Clydebank looked competitive both legs against Elgin and rightly got through. Against Clyde they deserved their win and will fancy their chances to get past Annan at Holm park. Would have been a tasty fixture for a Sons fan!

23 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hoping Sons can cause an upset. Watched the game on TV last year against the Dons and you ran them very close. A local derby is what I wanted too. I'll dream about that in the 5th round but Hibs will likely put us out in all honesty if we get that far.

Having seen QotS they are no better than the top 5 of L1 imo. I reckon Ayr, Hamilton and Morton are very close in standard too.

Clydebank looked competitive both legs against Elgin and rightly got through. Against Clyde they deserved their win and will fancy their chances to get past Annan at Holm park. Would have been a tasty fixture for a Sons fan!

We ran Aberdeen incredibly close considering how poor our league form was at the time. If that hadn't been our fourth game in seven days we might've won it! 

Aye I would agree with that. The tail end of the Championship looks extremely weak this season. I was half-hoping we got Ayr because I've a few pals down there and they weren't exactly enarmed with the impact Jim Duffy has had!

Clydebank Sons is even tastier when your brother plays for them and is rapidly changing his allegiances to the dark side of West Dunbartonshire :lol:

Don't think you'd find many who would doubt that the bottom five in the Championship are of similar standard to the top half of L1. Although the budgets of QOS, Morton and Ayr won't be capable of bringing in the standard of some of Cove/QPs players and so we have to stretch our net wider to try and uncover bargain below the radar players from further afield.

As for the replay, few Doonhamers will be confident .... you just need to look at our dreadful home record. If we somehow win, we won't trouble H*bs but we really need their cheque, even if it's not a huge one.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Don't think you'd find many who would doubt that the bottom five in the Championship are of similar standard to the top half of L1. Although the budgets of QOS, Morton and Ayr won't be capable of bringing in the standard of some of Cove/QPs players and so we have to stretch our net wider to try and uncover bargain below the radar players from further afield.

As for the replay, few Doonhamers will be confident .... you just need to look at our dreadful home record. If we somehow win, we won't trouble H*bs but we really need their cheque, even if it's not a huge one.

I was far more impressed with QOS in the SPFL Trust match against Morton midweek. Connelly, Junior, Paton linked up well and Cochrane stood out more than against us. Gibson, who gives everything, did well at CB although clearly an unorthodox position for him.

Credit to QOS, Ayr and Morton who are operating with lower budgets and managing to say in the Championship. 8th or 9th straight season at that level for QOS and think Morton are maybe 7 straight. Not an easy task. Airdrie I thought might be able to win the playoff final last season but they were well beaten.

Who knows what Tuesday night will bring but looking forward to the contest.

Our away support will be minimal given its a Tuesday night and the distance involved even though the club has an offered a free supporters bus.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

5 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was far more impressed with QOS in the SPFL Trust match against Morton midweek. Connelly, Junior, Paton linked up well and Cochrane stood out more than against us. Gibson, who gives everything, did well at CB although clearly an unorthodox position for him.

Credit to QOS, Ayr and Morton who are operating with lower budgets and managing to say in the Championship. 8th or 9th straight season at that level for QOS and think Morton are maybe 7 straight. Not an easy task. Airdrie I thought might be able to win the playoff final last season but they were well beaten.

Who knows what Tuesday night will bring but looking forward to the contest.

Our away support will be minimal given its a Tuesday night and the distance involved even though the club has an offered a free supporters bus.

I'm not famous for checking stats (QOS fan "Flash" is our expert on stats), but I think QOS have been continuously in the 2nd tier for almost 20 years now - apart from one season in L1 where we romped to the title by March that season.

The frustration with this Queens side is that we are capable of a good pacy passing game on the deck, but in the league AJ goes ultra cautious, trying to avoid defeat and we end up with hoofball to the front and waste possession. Hopefully, a less cautious approach prevails in the cup game on Tuesday night.

Cove not taking the Scottish Cup seriously clearly as we the ball boy plays in goal.

No Logan and Rory starts on the bench which is surprising. Glad Vigurs is missing as Scully, Fyvie, Yule will give a better balance.

Interesting to see if McIntosh partners Mitch up top or plays in a 5 man midfield. He's got some pace but very little supply or finishing ability. Cue a Leighton goal!

Screenshot_20211207-192157.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

That's you guys got the league sewn up, I think you can relax now 😉

Hmmm, there's a long way to go yet and we're only 5 points clear, a lot can happen.

The next Cove vs Montrose game on 15th January could swing the momentum either way as could the window (both teams are in a strong position to strengthen). SP keeps Cammy F and finds a striker then it will go down to the wire.

Blair Lyons will chip in with a few 2nd half of the season I reckon. 

Cove have Peterhead and Clyde away before then and Mo have East Fife away and then Alloa at LP.

Hartley "linked" in the media with the vacant Killie job.

I'd be amazed if he got offered it.

Begs a couple of questions though;

1) How much of our success is down to PH?

2) Who would likely be the successor?

For me;

1) Over the 2 years, he's done very well and if we make it to the Championship in 3 years you've got to say that exceeds expectations. I still question his ability to recruit albeit being part time and fairly northern it can't be easy. He's taken in McAllister, Fyvie and Logan who are all improvements but clearly being local and having financial backing has swayed all of these signings.

We still regularly play 7 or 8 of Sheran's HL side in our first XI. There has been a list of failed signings. Just look at Draper, Watson, Anderson, Gourlay..

If we get to the Championship, his recruitment will be key to us staying there or pushing on.

2) Not sure, hopefully not an untried ex-Dons player. A few would potentially want McInnes or someone of that ilk but might not be realistic and off the top of my head no names spring to mind.

Would be important to get it right. For all the potential good managers out there, there is a Sheerin, Duffy, MacPherson who send us backwards.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

What's the Goss with Cove where are they likely to strengthen in the window? Any players been linked?

I haven't heard any rumours but I'd be shocked if we extended Ola Adeyemo who's 3 months are up in January.  Would leave us with just 2 strikers, and Leighton - sigh.

We have 1 loanee, Finn Robertson, who I think might also depart back to Dundee. Not getting enough minutes and surplus to requirements.

Hoping we don't get Draper back from Elgin. He's stinking out L2 by the sounds of it.

I think we need a quality winger and another striker.  Hoping we might be able to attract a decent calibre of pler although getting a striker in on loan could be difficult as clubs will look at Mitch and Rory and question what game time their player will realistically get. Would like to see a Jamie Gullan or equivalent (not realistic tbf) or would easily take Euan Henderson if he was recalled from Alloa. What we end up getting is anyone's guess. Hartley's standout loanee was Declan Glass.

I wouldn't be surprised if we asked Dundee United about Ross Graham (CB) until the end of the season, was good for us last season. Currently at Dunfermline but failing there in all honesty.

How about Mo?

On 28/12/2021 at 21:45, CoveRangers1922 said:

I haven't heard any rumours but I'd be shocked if we extended Ola Adeyemo who's 3 months are up in January.  Would leave us with just 2 strikers, and Leighton - sigh.

We have 1 loanee, Finn Robertson, who I think might also depart back to Dundee. Not getting enough minutes and surplus to requirements.

Hoping we don't get Draper back from Elgin. He's stinking out L2 by the sounds of it.

I think we need a quality winger and another striker.  Hoping we might be able to attract a decent calibre of pler although getting a striker in on loan could be difficult as clubs will look at Mitch and Rory and question what game time their player will realistically get. Would like to see a Jamie Gullan or equivalent (not realistic tbf) or would easily take Euan Henderson if he was recalled from Alloa. What we end up getting is anyone's guess. Hartley's standout loanee was Declan Glass.

I wouldn't be surprised if we asked Dundee United about Ross Graham (CB) until the end of the season, was good for us last season. Currently at Dunfermline but failing there in all honesty.

How about Mo?

Heard from a Dundee United fan that Mark Reynolds is on his way to Cove in January