Killie's "European" Tour 2019/20

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

You can tell a Hearts fan wrote that...............all these "impressive" results, with only one of them resulting in the tie actually being won.

In this millennium, the really credible non-bigot brother results I can think of are......

• Aberdeen knocking out Dnipro, Groningen and Rijeka - qualifying through the group stage with the highlight being the slaying of FC Copenhagen.
  • Hearts knocking out Braga, and getting a group stage win in Basel.
  • Hibs knocking out Asteras Tripolis, who have a decent pedigree in recent seasons.
  • St Johnstone knocking out Rosenborg and FC Luzern.

Are there any others, without getting into tricky but winnable ties like Siroki Brijeg, Ventspils, Shkendija, Paks, Aalesund and Flumurtari?

I don't think that the one off results should be devalued or discounted.

It's not as if these were in dead rubber games, Spurs away apart.

Stuttgart was a loss on away goals. Bordeaux was an away game. Croatia Zagreb was pretty close to being an outstanding come back, the Liverpool game was still in the balance.

Hearts have had some very tough draws. The AEK Athens draw in the Champions League playoff round was one of the few times we haven't drawn one of the stronger seeded teams.

31 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

You can tell a Hearts fan wrote that...............all these "impressive" results, with only one of them resulting in the tie actually being won.

:lol: drew with spurs after being absolutely skelped at home 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

:lol: drew with spurs after being absolutely skelped at home 

The Spurs side was outstanding, Bale, Van Der Vaart and Defoe at the peak of their careers.

The White Hart Lane was obviously a dead rubber, but it was still a credible result given it was still a decent Spurs team in the return leg.

2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

The Spurs side was outstanding, Bale, Van Der Vaart and Defoe at the peak of their careers.

The White Hart Lane was obviously a dead rubber, but it was still a credible result given it was still a decent Spurs team in the return leg.

No embarrassment getting skelped by that side, but let's not pretend that draw is on the list of recent Scottish triumphs.

Guest Pampered Adolescent

Hertz losing to Spurs, pre, or post Bale, is, in my view, no riddy.

Kilmarnock, losing to Welsh part-timers is.....help ma boab; huvnae an answer to that.....

Minter Central

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No embarrassment getting skelped by that side, but let's not pretend that draw is on the list of recent Scottish triumphs.

I agree it's not going to appear on any triumphs list but it's still a credible result.

Especially when framed in context of an era where our teams have lost to sides from Luxembourg, Lithuania, Gibraltar, Wales, Liechtenstein, Ireland, Iceland and Malta.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

9-0 to Celtic was horrendous and in no way acceptable. McGhee should have walked/been sacked after that one.

And lets not forget Aberdeen's 8-1 aggregate drubbing by Sigma Olomouc as well. Unlike Malmo, a genuine "who?" club. 

2 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

And lets not forget Aberdeen's 8-1 aggregate drubbing by Sigma Olomouc as well. Unlike Malmo, a genuine "who?" club. 

McGhee was lucky that was his first set of fixtures. Shambles. That was a real embarrassment. Not due to the fact they were nobodies but how we approached that game.

1 hour ago, AberdeenHibee said:

I really don't count anything that happened in the Mark McGhee era.........

However, I had heard of Sigma Olomouc - think they'd pumped Kilmarnock 4-0 on aggregate a few years beforehand, and the Czech league is decent enough.

McGhee deemed them not worthy of watching, even though they played a round earlier.  His pre-season training was questionable, jumping into streams in Austria and the likes. The home tie was 1-1 and fairly even until about an hour, when our whole team collectively died on their feet - and then it was knife through better with the likes of Stuart Duff in central defence and Derek Young at right-back.

Nevertheless, as bad as the likes of the Malmo and Sigma rumpings were - they were credible opponents - the Welsh league is somewhere between Scots League One and the Lowland League in standard.

Edited by tarapoa

This has to be one of the worst results for a Scottish team. Anyone saying anything other than it was embarrassing is deluding themselves. I would want the manager sacked if I was a Killie fan, unbelievable.

3 hours ago, killieshire said:

It was 8300 and something. They announced after the whistle had went so some of the booing may have drowned Gav out. And speaking of Gav he provided about the only highlight of the match from our  perspective when the sprinkler got him at halftime.

Have to congratulate the Nomads and their supporters on a fine result, they were as expected very physical but credit where it’s due the first goal last night was good football from them.

As for us the second half was about as poor as I’ve ever seen us play. Passing was well off, movement was poor and we lacked creativity other than Chris Burke. AA made a fair few mistakes - 1 upfront clearly wasn’t working, 3 central midfielders whom all have similar styles with 1 asked to play as the more attack minded and looking like a duck out of water, he was way too slow to make substitutions to react to these, taking Burke off was craziness if tactical (though I’ve seen it suggested Burke requested to come off).

Other than Burke’s performance the one bright spot was I thought Innes Cameron looked useful when he came on, Brophy certainly looked better trying to run on to the knock downs.

Agree with all of this except the part about Cameron.  I still don't see what he offers and will be surprised if he makes it at SPFL level.   Bringing him on was desperation and showed how weak our bench/squad is.

1 hour ago, resk said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49046916

Seems like the best place for this. I bet the BBC were fkin loving putting this together. No Hearts v Birkirkara though, weird.

Birkikara is a terrible result, especially given we should have ended the tie in the away leg. But they are a professional team who have some Brazilian players in their squad.

They also took West Ham to penalties over two legs the previous season. In relative it's perhaps less of a terrible result than Connahs Quay Nomads, Bohemians, Stajarn etc.

Killie fans today moaning that CQN mostly kept ten men behind the baw, were time wasting and diving throughout the game. While Killie were stopped from playing their usual brand of free flowing fitba.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Has there been any sign of Squirrelhumper since the final whistle, or is he trying to decide whether he can go to Belgrade and also be back in time to watch Ayr v Stranraer on the Saturday.

He's popped up a couple of times, to be fair to him.

Killie have now managed to get knocked out of European competitions by teams from all the rest of the home nations.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Agree with all of this except the part about Cameron.  I still don't see what he offers and will be surprised if he makes it at SPFL level.   Bringing him on was desperation and showed how weak our bench/squad is.

Aw shut the f**k up man. The boy is about 19 and was brought on with 5 minutes to go. 

Absolutely pish poor from you making comments saying you'll be surprised if he makes it. Away have a lie down.