Killie's "European" Tour 2019/20

Just now, Greenlantern said:

Any arsehole phones me today I’m putting on an English accent.
Thanks Killie!

Don't lower yourself to that m8...just use the Irish one you do when you're watching your team in the pub.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

If this was a one off then your point would stand. It’s not though. The fact is that results like this happen pretty much every year to different Scottish clubs.

If it’s not Hearts getting knocked out by a Maltese team, it’s Rangers getting knocked out by a team from Luxembourg, it’s St Johnstone getting knocked out by a team from Armenia. I could certainly go on, Killie are just the latest entrant on the roll of shame. They won’t be the last either.

The reality is the record in Europe of Scottish teams outside the Old Firm is absolutely shocking in modern times. I’m not entirely sure the reason for this, but I suspect it’s mainly because our teams aren’t as good as we think they are.

But last season wasn't the case at all, was it?

We were moving in a positive direction.

Celtic got their f**k up out of the way early on and dropped down to the Europa League, eventually getting to the Last 32.

Rangers created history by going all the way from the 1st Qualifying Round to the group stages (and should've probably reached the Last 32).

Hibs knocked out a Faroese team (should be a given, really) and then beat the seeded Asteras Tripolis. Lost to Molde but kept it even until the last half hour of the tie.

Aberdeen got a stinker of a draw in Burnley, but took them all the way to extra time at Turf Moor before coming up short. A shame but not embarrassing.

This season started similarly well last week. Celtic won in Sarajevo, Rangers won in Gibraltar, Aberdeen beat RoPS and Killie scraped past Connah's Quay.

Three out of four then did the job with professional performances this week. One has fucked up. That's entirely on them, not the rest of us.

No it doesn’t, because on balance our fourth tier is still a superior division to the Welsh Premier League. This is an absolute embarrassment for Kilmarnock which reflects on no one else in Scotland, much like the previous worst result in Scottish history of St Johnstone losing to Alashkert didn’t actually mean other Scottish clubs were inferior to Armenian sides.
Pick a Championship club at random to go in the Welsh Premier League for a season and whichever one you get would absolutely stroll it.
Bet United would still finish 2nd

4 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

A real shame for Scottish Football - after a good couple of years, results like this really do set our game back and do us absolutely no favours from an external point of view.  

A true embarrassment.  Connah's Quay Nomads are genuinely a team I have never heard of before from a genuine part-time pub league and it is a disgrace that our 3rd placed professional team has lost to them over two legs.  That has to trump Hearts losing to the Maltese team/Rangers losing to Progres as being our worst ever result in Europe.    

Hibs losing to Vetra Vilnius before the schools broke up for the summer holidays has to be up there in terms of worst ever results for Scottish clubs in Europe.

3 hours ago, Estragon said:

Ach, I'll defend the boys here.  I didn't do this myself, as I'm on holiday when the game is on - but I think there were a few trying to take advantage of cheap flights etc. while at the same time falling victim to exhuberance.

Belgrade is slap bang in the middle of Europe with dozens of airports (and several countries) within easy range. The idea that Kilmarnock's travelling hordes would have caused any sort of spike in prices on any flight beyond *direct to Belgrade on matchday* is preposterous. 

If cheap travel was their priority then they could easily have booked up this morning and found an itinerary quite easily. It was arrogance, not necessity. 

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

Ach, I'll defend the boys here.  I didn't do this myself, as I'm on holiday when the game is on - but I think there were a few trying to take advantage of cheap flights etc. while at the same time falling victim to exhuberance.

The real roasters are the ones who are now just going to forfeit the cost of the flights (kickback), rather than using it as an opportunity to go and explore a really interesting part of Europe.

With you on this, it's the nature of European football nowadays. Many of us simply don't have the luxury of waiting weeks for prices to skyrocket in case of a surprise defeat.

Last year, I waited for the first leg result against the Faroese team before booking up Greece. As soon as the full time whistle went and we were 6-1 up, I booked it.

I also stuck a tenner on Runavik -4 for the second leg, on the off chance they beat us by the five goals needed. It would've covered my costs for Greece and then some.

There was a wee scare when they went 2-0 up in no time, but we came through it unscathed and no Hibs fan got their fingers burned.

It's a risk you take, which you can mitigate by putting bets on to try and cover yourself. Still, even if you weren't out of pocket, it would still be gutting.

Do agree with you re Belgrade though. Been recently and it's a fantastic city, cheap beer and all.

It's not much of a consolation, but Killie fans who do go will still have a nice time there.

In fact a literally two minute check on Skyscanner finds flights available on 31 July direct from the UK to several parts of Croatia for £50 and Budapest for less than £80. Plenty of other options to Belgrade or Serbia would be available with a stop in Holland, Germany or Italy first (all under £50). So the vowel-hating bumpkin fans of Connah's Quay will in fact have no problem getting to the game for a reasonable price: I wonder how many of them already booked up in the expectation that they'd sword Kilmarnock.   

Edited by vikingTON

There have been some very credible results for Scottish clubs out with Rangers and Celtic in Europe in the past 20 years as well.

Hearts in that time for example, beat Stuttgart at home in 2000, Bordeaux away in 2003, Braga at home in 2004, Croatia Zagreb at home in 2009, drew with Spurs in 2011 (a reserve side but Harry Kane, Andros Townsend  and Ryan Fredericks were the youngsters in otherwise senior side), drew with Liverpool in 2012 (Suarez and Gerrard both played in the game)

Aberdeen have beaten Rijeka, FC Groiningen, drew with Bayern Munich and qualified out of their UEFA cup group into the knockout stages.

Hibs have beaten AEK Athens

St Johnstone have beaten Rosenberg.

Yes there are also the howlers, but it's not all bad.

3 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Steady - we were playing Chelsea, who were a real football team.

Killie lost to a bunch of guys who all had to get to work this morning. 

So would the Chelsea players back in 1921 or whenever it was Morton were last relevant. Was when players still played in pyjamas.

1 hour ago, Pampered Adolescent said:

I booked to go to Albania before Motherwell overcame Llanelli 10 years ago, and I will explain why... 

I've Welsh cousins. Stayed in Cardiff the night of the Llanelli game, a night that an England cricket Test Match was on. An absolutely belting night; out in Cardiff with locals.

Albania was just about the last communist country in Europe. Actually, it was 15 years behind Greece, economically, and, somewhat culturally.

Both the club and Strathclyde Police advised us not to travel.

Loads of airmiles to consume.

Whereas my post on the Motherwell thread regarding the Albo 10 Anniversary barely registered, that trip was one of my best.

I also took in FC Tirana versus Staebek on the Wednesday for GBP 2.73.

But boasting/posting on a forum before? Not my style, not a social media monkey.....

Cheers

PA

Indeed - that’s the point I was making too, book in advance if you want to, for whatever reason, just don’t do a ‘squirrelhumper’ and make a rip roaring cnut of yourself on P&B. It’s Scottish fitba’, Killie are, as my team are, a bit ‘diddy’ - liable to do the most stupid shite to fcuk you in the head when least expected. Do NOT give it the full billy big baws on P&B about swanning around Belgrade while the rest of us are at home watching Eastenders.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye but it was 0-7.

https://www.skysports.com/football/celtic-vs-aberdeen/217157

9-0 loss to Celtic for you boys a mere 3 years before we got horsed 7-0 by Malmo.  Is that a worse footballing result than Maltese/Progres/Connah's? No. Why? Because Celtic/Malmo are good enough teams they can annihilate anyone when they are on song. That's why they are Champions League teams.  

Edited by AberdeenHibee

9-0 loss to Celtic for you boys a mere 3 years before we got horsed 7-0 by Malmo.  Is that a worse footballing result than Maltese/Progres/Connah's? No. Why? Because Celtic/Malmo are good enough teams they can annihilate anyone when they are on song. That's why they are Champions League teams.  

No. Malmo are many things but not that. Own your failings, Hibs. Then point and laugh at Kilmarnock.

33 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

There have been some very credible results for Scottish clubs out with Rangers and Celtic in Europe in the past 20 years as well.

Hearts in that time for example, beat Stuttgart at home in 2000, Bordeaux away in 2003, Braga at home in 2004, Croatia Zagreb at home in 2009, drew with Spurs in 2011 (a reserve side but Harry Kane, Andros Townsend  and Ryan Fredericks were the youngsters in otherwise senior side), drew with Liverpool in 2012 (Suarez and Gerrard both played in the game)

Aberdeen have beaten Rijeka, FC Groiningen, drew with Bayern Munich and qualified out of their UEFA cup group into the knockout stages.

Hibs have beaten AEK Athens

St Johnstone have beaten Rosenberg.

Yes there are also the howlers, but it's not all bad.

You can tell a Hearts fan wrote that...............all these "impressive" results, with only one of them resulting in the tie actually being won.

In this millennium, the really credible non-bigot brother results I can think of are......

• Aberdeen knocking out Dnipro, Groningen and Rijeka - qualifying through the group stage with the highlight being the slaying of FC Copenhagen.
  • Hearts knocking out Braga, and getting a group stage win in Basel.
  • Hibs knocking out Asteras Tripolis, who have a decent pedigree in recent seasons.
  • St Johnstone knocking out Rosenborg and FC Luzern.

Are there any others, without getting into tricky but winnable ties like Siroki Brijeg, Ventspils, Shkendija, Paks, Aalesund and Flumurtari?

Edited by tarapoa

24 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

9-0 to Celtic was horrendous and in no way acceptable. McGhee should have walked/been sacked after that one.

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

With you on this, it's the nature of European football nowadays. Many of us simply don't have the luxury of waiting weeks for prices to skyrocket in case of a surprise defeat.

Last year, I waited for the first leg result against the Faroese team before booking up Greece. As soon as the full time whistle went and we were 6-1 up, I booked it.

I also stuck a tenner on Runavik -4 for the second leg, on the off chance they beat us by the five goals needed. It would've covered my costs for Greece and then some.

There was a wee scare when they went 2-0 up in no time, but we came through it unscathed and no Hibs fan got their fingers burned.

It's a risk you take, which you can mitigate by putting bets on to try and cover yourself. Still, even if you weren't out of pocket, it would still be gutting.

Do agree with you re Belgrade though. Been recently and it's a fantastic city, cheap beer and all.

It's not much of a consolation, but Killie fans who do go will still have a nice time there.

Probably have a better time as they won't have to worry about the result of a football match...

2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

That’s a typo I’m sure they announced the attendance as 9000.

It was 8300 and something. They announced after the whistle had went so some of the booing may have drowned Gav out. And speaking of Gav he provided about the only highlight of the match from our  perspective when the sprinkler got him at halftime.

Have to congratulate the Nomads and their supporters on a fine result, they were as expected very physical but credit where it’s due the first goal last night was good football from them.

As for us the second half was about as poor as I’ve ever seen us play. Passing was well off, movement was poor and we lacked creativity other than Chris Burke. AA made a fair few mistakes - 1 upfront clearly wasn’t working, 3 central midfielders whom all have similar styles with 1 asked to play as the more attack minded and looking like a duck out of water, he was way too slow to make substitutions to react to these, taking Burke off was craziness if tactical (though I’ve seen it suggested Burke requested to come off).

Other than Burke’s performance the one bright spot was I thought Innes Cameron looked useful when he came on, Brophy certainly looked better trying to run on to the knock downs.