The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Aye that was a load of pish and just an all round minter for AEW. Didn't help anyone or the company and made them look litlke petty wee fannies. Needless nonsense that will more likely drive fans away than attract them.

Also, get Jericho to f**k.

Thing is, I reckon most of us on here want AEW to do well. But in terms of development and storyline, they are so  so weak and they definitely need help there.

A strong scene in general helps everyone. Even HHHs perceived dig at Ospreay shouldn't be seen as such. Some folk love the grind, others don't so its good to have the option and not be like 'well you either do it our way or there is nowhere else for you'.

I can guarantee if Lesnar was just breaking in now he'd pick an AEW schedule over a WWE one as he hated the constant travel and road life. Osprey taking it as a personal sleight against him is ridiculously thin skinned instead of accepting that 'yeah, that way isn't for me just now but this is'. 

Since leaving AEW looking like a troublemaking f**k, Punk has went back to the biggest promotion by a universe and has come out looking like the sound as anything one that is now getting on with everyone, major team player and AEW are looking like petty losers.   

Mad transformation and it's not as even as if it's been a work.

Edited by Hoose Rice

I enjoyed AEW at the start, i watched the first few months on a Friday evening on ITV4 and i must say i was fair hooked. Loved watching Hangman, MJF and the young bucks. 

it ended up getting moved to Monday nights and i lost track of it. I turned it on a good few months later and I’ll be honest i didn’t have a clue what was going on. I could be wrong but it looked better when they only had 1 to show in dynamite. 

There’s too many shows, too many belts and too many people on the roster. 

I think WWE have that issue too, but when you’re hot and have a cebtral story everything else revolves around, it isn’t as noticeable. 

To get a big increase in their TV rights, having more content on offer is important, but I do feel it’s to the detriment of the overall flow of the product. 

7 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

There’s too many shows, too many belts and too many people on the roster. 

I think WWE have that issue too, but when you’re hot and have a cebtral story everything else revolves around, it isn’t as noticeable. 

To get a big increase in their TV rights, having more content on offer is important, but I do feel it’s to the detriment of the overall flow of the product. 

I think the issue AEW are having at the moment is the gapping hole that MJF being out has left so there isnt really a focal point for the shows. There are plenty on the rooster who are better wrestlers and probably put on better matches, but MJF brings a lot more. Also a big focus recently was the Edge & Christian, and Cassidy / Strong feuds which are hopefully tied up now but have left a gap. Kingston getting the triple crown as well.

5 hours a week is a lot to fill (more if you include their ROH shows), and a lot just hasnt landed over the last few months. The bullet club was going ok and didnt need mixed in with the acclaimed. The CMLL tie up seems a waste of time, I've enjoyed having the Japanese and AAA guys appear semi regular but the CMLL angle has been forgetable as it looks like its been done just so Jericho can go back to being Lionheart.

Ospreay and Swerve are the high points at the moment and you know the PPV's are going to be stacked with quality matches, they just have to start the long build to London and focus on themselves and not what anyone else is doing. A lot of focus has been on guys joining or returning after long lay offs which get a big pop to start but its a slow burn after that.

5 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I think the issue AEW are having at the moment is the gapping hole that MJF being out has left so there isnt really a focal point for the shows. There are plenty on the rooster who are better wrestlers and probably put on better matches, but MJF brings a lot more. Also a big focus recently was the Edge & Christian, and Cassidy / Strong feuds which are hopefully tied up now but have left a gap. Kingston getting the triple crown as well.

5 hours a week is a lot to fill (more if you include their ROH shows), and a lot just hasnt landed over the last few months. The bullet club was going ok and didnt need mixed in with the acclaimed. The CMLL tie up seems a waste of time, I've enjoyed having the Japanese and AAA guys appear semi regular but the CMLL angle has been forgetable as it looks like its been done just so Jericho can go back to being Lionheart.

Ospreay and Swerve are the high points at the moment and you know the PPV's are going to be stacked with quality matches, they just have to start the long build to London and focus on themselves and not what anyone else is doing. A lot of focus has been on guys joining or returning after long lay offs which get a big pop to start but its a slow burn after that.

Even when MJF was there though, the whole Cole/Devil programme was death, for me anyway. 

He’ll be a megastar when he’s back again, but he should be a heel.

3 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Even when MJF was there though, the whole Cole/Devil programme was death, for me anyway. 

He’ll be a megastar when he’s back again, but he should be a heel.

MJF's outgrown AEW, Sauzee knows why he re-signed with them. 

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

MJF's outgrown AEW, Sauzee knows why he re-signed with them. 

Loads of money for working a far easier schedule than Papa H demands of his devotees. It's a no brainer for anyone offered it.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

The Undisputed Kingdom are absolutely pish.

Get Wardlow, Bennet and Taven punted and bring in O'Reilly and Fish and do the group properly.

Undisputed Era had one of the best theme tunes/entrance music of all time.

Fantasy booking, of course, but with his links to Cody, it would be quite the introduction if he's still red hot when MJF finally comes available, and he debuts by going proper heel against the company's biggest babyface.

He'll be back in AEW in the coming months though.  He'll finish off the stuff with Cole, but after that...who knows.

10 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Kenny had enough?

Appears so. He's distanced himself from the whole EVP thing. Doesn't fancy it, never has, whilst you get impression that the Bucks revel in it.

Though I do think that the 'other factor' he was alluding to that prevented a grown up conversation happening at Brawl Out between him and Punk was Ace Steel going tonto.

Through everything that's happened though, it's notable that Punk has never,  ever so much as alluded to saying a strong word about Omega. So you do get impression there is no issue between the two of them.

Omega does seem like he'd be a thoroughly decent chap generally.  Sometimes you just get the feeling even through someone playing a character what they might be like in real life, and I get the feeling the Bucks would be arseholes.  Omega just seems like a harmless geek though.  I wouldn't be surprised if he went on a similar journey to Tony Khan through Brawl Out.  Starting a wrestling company sounded like a brilliant idea, what could be better?  Now suddenly there's a bleeding CM Punk verbally emasculating/actively fighting you, and everything seems a bit real.  Bucks maybe feel a bit more comfortable in that life, but Omega just fancies wrestling.  Can't imagine diverticulitis helps either.

Still can't see him going to WWE though.  He's in that small group of people that I just can't imagine them using well enough to attract them.  I've no idea what Ospreay would be like with them, for example, or the Bucks.  Omega would be better where he is, maybe with less responsibility if that's what's eating at him.  Just let him get healthy and do what he does best.

Omega isn’t the best promo, but excels in, high speed, long matches - in a style that WWE very rarely offer. I couldn’t see him ever going. 

I guess I couldn’t have seen AJ Styles going back in the day either, but he was already a ‘sports entertainer’ in his latter TNA days.

5 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Omega isn’t the best promo, but excels in, high speed, long matches - in a style that WWE very rarely offer. I couldn’t see him ever going. 

I guess I couldn’t have seen AJ Styles going back in the day either, but he was already a ‘sports entertainer’ in his latter TNA days.

In a world where you have a young and fit Omega , I think WWE could pivot and make it work. Again though, there's too many other factors.

Kenny Omega is in a spot where he's massively respected by hardcore wrestling fans for his ring work but doesn't have the profile for casuals to instantly recognise him showing up on WWE telly, certainly not on the reduced schedule he's need to work even at full fitness. He also doesn't have the body that will allow for a full time schedule any more and is pushing 40 so that 'grind' never will be for him, even before illness and injury had wrecked him.

He's sort of in the spot that Danielson was upon joining WWE only a fair whack older. I think WWE would find something worthwhile for him though to be fair, he's good mates with a load of guys there and could offer up plenty.