The AEW Thread

TheGoon

8 hours ago, forameus said:

I thought the tone on the I Quit match was a bit off.  Painted as this epic culmination of a blood feud, mixed with spots that wouldn't be out of place on a WWE Christmas fuckabout show.  Not bad by any means, but a bit odd at points.

Am I the only one finding Mone's stuff so far a bit cringe?  I'm sure she can still go in the ring, but given she's not done that yet, pretty much everything in the presentation so far has been a bit off.  Promos seem well below what she's clearly capable of, the CEO stuff is pish.  Guess it's lucky that I assume she'll end up getting the same treatment as most women on the roster, getting 5-8 minutes prior to the main event on Dynamite.

She'll undoubtedly be excellent in the ring but her stuff has been poor and that CEO chant can f**k right off.

One little things about the main event I liked it when Copeland did the jump off the ladder to Killswitch and Nick Wayne.

It wasn't so much the spot itself but the fact that Daddy Magic held them both in place. It was just a little touch, but one I liked as I hate the spot when a group of folk are all standing around waiting for someone to jump on them.

And I'm not going mental, right?  Her music is Gunther's old music jazzed up? What an odd, odd choice.

Well, obviously not Gunther's, as it's likely hundreds of years old as a piece of music.  

19 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Shibata has somehow gone from being a guy who nearly died from brain damage to now having very good 20 minute matches where he takes nothing but head and neck shots.

Gotten more used to it than I was, but still mental every time I see it. Some worker though.

In the continuing adventures of the hottest signing in women's wrestling, Mone was absolutely awful on commentary, came across like she had absolutely zero charisma, and went down the route of simply making noises rather than providing any insight.  They really need to have her wrestle soon.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

In the continuing adventures of the hottest signing in women's wrestling, Mone was absolutely awful on commentary, came across like she had absolutely zero charisma, and went down the route of simply making noises rather than providing any insight.  They really need to have her wrestle soon.

I hope Willow batters her.

On 29/03/2024 at 09:21, forameus said:

Don't see it happening until Double or Nothing based on how things have played out. Hopefully her ankle hasn't been Pillmanized after the injury and she can get back to normal.

Some rare AEW releases

*Anthony Henry
*The Tate Twins a.k.a. The Boys
*Stu Grayson
*Dasha Kuret
*Gravity
*Parker Boudreaux
*Slim J
*Jose the Assistant
*Jora Johl

https://www.postwrestling.com/2024/04/02/report-aew-releases-ten-performers/

Dasha seems like the real surprising one, given that she's been there since the start of Dynamite and was still on TV most weeks.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Some rare AEW releases

*Anthony Henry
*The Tate Twins a.k.a. The Boys
*Stu Grayson
*Dasha Kuret
*Gravity
*Parker Boudreaux
*Slim J
*Jose the Assistant
*Jora Johl

https://www.postwrestling.com/2024/04/02/report-aew-releases-ten-performers/

Dasha seems like the real surprising one, given that she's been there since the start of Dynamite and was still on TV most weeks.

Most of those names remind me of 2022 when a lot of the lower card originals weren't renewed. I wonder if their deals were coming up soon and chose to cut bait early. As long as they're getting paid. I don't think there can be many complaints. As you'd probably think they were already gone or had forgetten they even worked there in the first place.

Anthony Henry is meant to be injured which is a bad look anytime. Made worse that its the same day Punk was talking about organising his own surgery after Brawl Out.

The Boys must be disappointed after being part of the Dalton/Johnny TV feud.

I always liked Jose the Assistant and Dasha, but if they're gone you wouldn't notice.

Thought The Infantry had a really decent showing on Collision. Really feel for Ricky Starks, feel like he’s constanty stop/start. 

Great closing angle with Swerve & Joe, thought the TRENT turn was really well done too. 

Baffled by the Billy Gunn/White match, just so oddly laid out and White looked terrible. 

The Copeland promo was weird. It’d be fine on a week they hadn’t just fired a bunch of people. 

Absolutely zero mention of the ROH show on Friday -likely a TBS call. Begs the question why it even exists. 

I thought it was a fairly low key show last night, although I really enjoyed the Danielson and Ospreay vs big meaty men matches and the closing segment was one of the better contract signings. The Best Friends angle has been coming for a long time, but was still very well done. I'm assuming Chuck and Sue are going to side with Trent.

As The Goon said, the Copeland promo was just weird. I understand that Tony wanted to hit back against Punk's remarks, but I'm not sure this was the way to go about it.

The Willow and Mone segment was a bit of a mess. I'm still sure Mone will come good, but she seems to be floundering a bit in the lesser-scripted environment AEW.

It's not an original sentiment, but Jericho just needs to disappear. He has taken away all of Hook's cool guy aura in the space of a few weeks. I think they were hoping for a Sting/Darby dynamic, but the exact opposite is happening.

The less said about Jay White and Billy Gunn, the better. One of worst matches in AEW history. Gunn was a poor singles wrestler when he was in his prime. He should not be wrestling singles matches at 60.

Yeah the sooner The Acclaimed and BCG thing ends the better for everyone involved.

With Trent's turn I imagine you'll have him and Cassidy at Dynasty which you'd think Trent should win to give him some momentum.

Overall, the show was above average thought all the matches apart from the White one were decent enough and a good promo from Willow as well.

Interesting that Mercedes seemingly won't be wrestling til Double or Nothing, assuming she's not fully cleared as of yet.

Probably one of the poorer episodes of weekly AEW television in a long time, and personally it seems like they've been on a bit of a downward trend for a while.  There's definitely pockets in there of great stories, but they've gone from being able to put together 5 or 6 feuds culminating at a PPV to getting 1 or 2, then maybe one other "Tony Khan's Wonderful Dream Match" candidate - that is, a match that ultimately doesn't really matter.  Swerve and Joe is building well, and should be a great match, but outside of that, is there anything that really matters?  They're heavily pushing Ospreay and Danielson, which will undoubtedly be great, but it doesn't really matter as a match, especially when Danielson is allergic to going over, and Ospreay was unlikely to lose anyway.  I assume if injuries hadn't been a thing, we'd be knee-deep in MJF vs Cole, so maybe just another case of the company struggling to pivot when things go wrong.  

Copeland's promo was...odd.  I'd heard Punk had done Punk things, but didn't really go into the content much, so the promo went way over my head.  Made it sound like there had been some massive controversy, not just a mardy tit sounding off.  And I'll always find any attempt from AEW to go along the lines of "we are the best company" to be so awkward and forced.  You can't go out and start by telling fans not to boo a mention of WWE, then go along the same lines of WCW "where the big boys play" story beats.  

Ospreay continues to be utterly excellent, but I do wonder when he'll get something actually meaty story-wise to sink his teeth into.  Seems like it's going to be Don Callis centred for the next couple of months before they presumably heat him up to go to Wembley, but they need to get there soon because he has the potential to be everything to them.

Billy Gunn and Jay White...ooooooft.  If you're White, and you can tear yourself away from looking at your chiseled physique for long enough, you must wonder whether you've made the right choice in going to AEW. I don't think WWE really push him to the very top either, and I imagine you get a lot more freedom with promos etc, but he got made to look like a complete tit.  I assumed you would get a blade runner out of nowhere and that would be it, but no matter how in shape Gunn is, he still shouldn't be leading what's essentially a squash match with a star like that.  Seems another example of them just refusing to let a feud go a the perfect moment.

Another week of Mone being fucking terrible, emphasised by how over Willow is and how well she came across.  And saddle up, because there's near enough two more months of this to come.  Yass.

You forgot all about the excellent* Jericho stuff.

Also, once again, I must state my dislike of Mone's 'CEO' chant.

*Not excellent