The AEW Thread

TheGoon

13 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Apart from the messy scramble match, that must be one of the best PPVs of all time.

Fully tuned out during the Dante, Hook, Magnus and...Jericho sequence. Just disappear Chris. Hide away in a studio recording a new album, while your wife's off stumping for Trump at least.

22 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Channel 4 never had any WCW PPVs - you might be mixing it up with the run of WWE PPVs they had in 2000.

Their broadcast of the Rumble was an absolute disaster because they showed it live but still chucked in ad breaks.

As a result they showed Backlash (and the others they had that year) on a 50 minute delay so that they could still fit in the ads but make sure that viewers didn’t miss anything.

With the Batman style ‘kapow’ graphics for every chair shot or similar. Wild stuff.

IIRC the 50 minute delay was also in response to Mae Young surprising the censors

Just finished watching it there. Might be one of the best PPVs they've ever put on.

Only couple of misses for me were the scramble match and the woman's title but I felt the latter was harmed by the crowd being tired.

I know Ospreay isn't for everyone but if that's going to be the standard for the top of the card going forward then I am fully on board.

On the main event I felt everyone played their roles to perfection and made it one of the best send offs ever.

Darby is a madman btw.

Enjoyed the PPV, definitely one of the best all round PPVs in a while. The scramble match was pretty pointless, but wasnt terrible for what it was.

The main event was a great send-off for sting. Shame to see the state flair is in, he was a weird shade of purple, but he and steamboat were fun additions that helped pace the match between the big spots. That glass deal was crazy.

Osprey v Takeshita was immense.

I've been PPV only for a while now, since I never have the time to watch the weekly show, and I like it that way, as I feel like I'm more into the PPV and matchups dont feel stale.

Bet Darby's shower after the show was a bit stingy (pun not intended).

Did Sting's sons just f**k off during the match?

Was hoping he'd used Seek and Destroy for his entrance so popped like a big mark when he did 

Agree that it was a good PPV and also agree that 'scramble' match was meh (who the f**k is Magnus?! and yes, f**k off Jericho).

World titles match was good but unsure where it leaves Swerve and Hangman now. 

Hopefully creepy old Flair can be kept off TV for good now.

Edited by DA Baracus

I didn't see it as quite as good as some have here, but that's probably more that AEW have performed at such a generally high level that it's hard to differentiate.  In terms of negatives, definitely that scramble match.  Not really sure what the point of it all was, and you could have achieved the end result in any other way.  Wasn't bad by any means, just...meh.  One other one that stood out, particularly early in the show, is that AEW still really doesn't let moment's breathe.  Early in their life they were putting on long, sprawling 5 hour shows, and to be fair to them they seem to now be pretty set on sticking to four hours on the dot.  That's good.  But they're still trying to cram too much in to those 4 hours that certain moments just get lost with the commentary team already quickly moving them on to the next bit.  I think when Wardlow won the scramble match, there can't have been more than about 8 seconds before they threw to a video package.  Even just giving 10-15 seconds more, and a closing line about what this means for the Undisputed Kingdom and the title going forward would have capped it off, but it all just seems a bit rushed.  Definitely got better later in the show a maybe their timings were going better, but if they just dropped one match to zero hour, they could still have an incredible show, and give the moments that need it that little extra.  They also presumably wouldn't have had to cut to black on the PPV feed with Sting's immortal line "hold on I'm getting a cue".  But they're all pretty minor things in what was a very good show. 

Really looking forward to being able to see more of Ospreay having never really watched NJPW.  Going to be quite the moment when he wins the title at Wembley presumably

I echo the question of where the f**k did Sting's boys go?  Understandable why they did it, but don't think the opening of the match quite hit if the plan was always for them just to wander off in time for the Bucks to take back control.  Should've peppered them in through the match.

Darby is just fucking mental.  I mean, as a visual, that spot was incredible, but...fucking hell.  I bet CM Punk's fucking raging watching that.

Hopefully they can still find something good for Cassidy going forward.  He's too good and important to the company to just push into the background with comedy spots, even if the decision to take the title was probably the right one.

Can't say I usually like to watch people in their mid-70s get kicked in the head, but I'll forgive it with Flair.  He's obviously got personal...issues from his past, but even discounting those, he looks like a ghoul and is in incredibly bad shape.  He shouldn't be anywhere near any role that isn't just a cheerleader for whatever company is paying him (not that AEW are paying him).  Granted there's a four year difference, but Steamboat came out looking incredible at 71, highlighting even more what a state Flair was in.  Hopefully he can just get to f**k now before he dies on television.

And speaking of the condition of elderly men, shall we just reverse the retirement and let Sting keep going for another decade?  Honestly looks like he's good for it.  Joins the rare pantheon of wrestlers who managed to go out on their own terms, in presumably good health, and to adulation.  And he's done it with little more than being a mad shagger in his younger years before finding religion.  Good on him.

That was a fantastic Dynamite, really fun show. Thought they’d have held off on Okada till next week, but suppose you’ve got Mercedes then. Few excellent matches on the horizon.

Genuinely think it was a good idea to debut Okada like that as a heel.

They've immediately set up a bunch of matches as well through the suspension and firing of Hangman and Omega as well.

That Darby promo was a bit foreboding but, hope he makes it back in one piece.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Agree with all of the above about last but would like add this:

"f**k off Jericho".

So, so bored of him now. 

He used to be good at knowing when to f**k off as well, now he never does.

It's always been a bit of a meme of him jumping in when someone's hot, but that had to be the most egregious example yet.

"Here, Hook, I remember when your da battered me ages ago.  Then you battered me too!"

Only acceptable way for this to end is an extended 30 minute segment where both Hook and Taz kick the shit out of him in the middle of the ring, then he goes away.  He's got a wealth of experience and I expect having someone like that around your company is probably a net positive (despite the personal problems), but he doesn't need to be constantly inserted alongside or opposite people so he can leech the heat.  

Supposedly he paid $5000 towards Virgil's funeral so he's not a total c**t. Just needs to learn when to take a step back for a bit.

Edited by Bert Raccoon