The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Sting is the fuckin man. Going to be so sad to see him go. 

Main event and Swerve/Hangman were terrific. Looking like the Boston show’s going to be the Mercedes/Okada double debut which should be a big shot in the arm.

Sting's sons are huge and look so much like he did when he was younger. Mad likenesses!

Swerve and Hangman are fucking tremendous. Great match and good outcome leading to what should be a cracking match at Revolution. I do wish Swerve would change up his entrance music mind. At least get rid of the daft bird noises at the start (as MJF comically ripped the pish out of).

Christian following his grand tradition of only feuding with people who he can berate for their Da being dead.  Extra touch to it this time though - the address he gave during his promo?  A graveyard.  Ooft.

• 2 weeks later...

Seemingly Sting will headline tomorrow.

Think that's absolutely the right call. Normally the world title match should headline but there are always exceptions, and this is definitely one (Rock vs Hogan should have headlined; Cena vs whoever should never have headlined over Punk vs whoever when Punk was champion) 

Also Sting apparently has complete creative control over the match tomorrow, so whatever happens is pretty much his call.

Looking forward to the PPV, looks like an excellent card.

This is more a general question but might be the best place to get answer in light of the Sting nostalgia that's inspired it. WCW Worldwide was never shown on STV? At least not in the morning/afternoon slot that a kid with only 4 tv channels would have stumbled across at some point.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

This is more a general question but might be the best place to get answer in light of the Sting nostalgia that's inspired it. WCW Worldwide was never shown on STV? At least not in the morning/afternoon slot that a kid with only 4 tv channels would have stumbled across at some point.

Yeah, it was on stv in the early 90s. Either Saturday or Sunday afternoon for a bit before it got shoved to a late night slot.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

It was definitely on channel 4 at some point as well. I remember missing the outcome of a Booker T Nash match because C4 had adverts during a ppv.

That might have been channel 5, they had WCW Worldwide from 1999. It was a b*****dised collection of matches from Nitro / Thunder / Sat Night et. with dubbed commentary. 

4 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

It was definitely on channel 4 at some point as well. I remember missing the outcome of a Booker T Nash match because C4 had adverts during a ppv.

Channel 4 never had any WCW PPVs - you might be mixing it up with the run of WWE PPVs they had in 2000.

Their broadcast of the Rumble was an absolute disaster because they showed it live but still chucked in ad breaks.

As a result they showed Backlash (and the others they had that year) on a 50 minute delay so that they could still fit in the ads but make sure that viewers didn’t miss anything.

2 hours ago, untitled00 said:

That might have been channel 5, they had WCW Worldwide from 1999. It was a b*****dised collection of matches from Nitro / Thunder / Sat Night et. with dubbed commentary. 

With the Batman style ‘kapow’ graphics for every chair shot or similar. Wild stuff.

9 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

With the Batman style ‘kapow’ graphics for every chair shot or similar. Wild stuff.

I just googled this as although I watched some of these at the time I can’t really remember them and I’ve never read anything that so succinctly summed up WCW in 99–2000. 

A12B9B7D-5C9B-4EDE-9B76-32315D6CA0B5.jpeg

Edited by untitled00

Going to be really sad watching Sting for the last time tonight, but what a career. His AEW run has been pretty much perfect, for a 65 year old that’s pretty nuts. Quite fitting he’s going out outside WWE as well.