The AEW Thread

TheGoon

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Sorry to be a pain but could someone sum up the Jericho stuff for me. On holiday and missed the drama/allegations or whatever it is. 

First some context: It has been said of Chris Jericho that he and his wife have an open relationship. So between wrestling, band, general celebrity, and wealth he is someone that at best has a reputation for casual relationships with younger women.

One of the (in)famous ones in wrestling was him and Kelly Kelly https://whatculture.com/wwe/10-notorious-chris-jericho-urban-legends?page=9

Fast forward to the other week. CM Punk/Ace Steel's lawyer involved with the Brawl Out litigation has been doing media interviews. During one he said everyone involved is tied up in lifetime NDAs, except for Ace Steel's wife.

In the twilight hours waiting for Santa Claus/building some elaborate Xmas present/getting pished. Jericho decided to dispute that on Twitter. He was a witness to it all and has never signed an NDA in his life.

This led to a Christmas Day back and forth between Jericho and the lawyer. More significantly, Nick Hausman (a journalist seen as CM Punk's mouthpiece) asks Jericho on Twitter. "What about the NDAs you make other people sign?"

Hausman would also do a podcast where he compared Jericho to Harvey Weinstein. In that there's stuff we don't know about that will come out one day.

This had the internet go digging. They returned to Kylie Rae's departure from AEW back in 2019. She only worked one show. Quit just before the second and was seen as someone the company would build the Women's division around. It was a real surprise at the time. She has admitted to mental health and drinking problem. Which has allowed people to speculate the bigger spotlight was to much for her. The Jericho story was out back then. He invited her back to his hotel room under the pretence other people would be there. Turned out to be just be the two of them. Its two versions of events at that point and neither one has said anything publicly. Leaving the internet to fill in the blanks with all possible versions. She's the one person named by people as someone either assaulted by Jericho or a victim of him abusing his position of power. Then prevented from talking about it due to an NDA.

For some this is seen as the tip of the iceberg, there's more than one such story. They're all just in NDAs or not willing to talk about someone so high profile. Which is why there are no other names.

On the Jericho side it was a misunderstanding or he tried it on and got turned down. There are no other names because they don't exist.

Leaving Kylie Rae caught in the middle of it all. Possibly hampered by an NDA with Jericho or AEW. She hasn't said anything. She responded to a tweet with a heart emoji and liked some other tweets. 

For AEW/Tony Khan this means there are questions over what was known at the time of Kylie Rae's departure, and if there have been any accusations made during Jericho's time in the company. Basically, how complicit are they in any cover-up.

14 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

First some context: It has been said of Chris Jericho that he and his wife have an open relationship. So between wrestling, band, general celebrity, and wealth he is someone that at best has a reputation for casual relationships with younger women.

One of the (in)famous ones in wrestling was him and Kelly Kelly https://whatculture.com/wwe/10-notorious-chris-jericho-urban-legends?page=9

Fast forward to the other week. CM Punk/Ace Steel's lawyer involved with the Brawl Out litigation has been doing media interviews. During one he said everyone involved is tied up in lifetime NDAs, except for Ace Steel's wife.

In the twilight hours waiting for Santa Claus/building some elaborate Xmas present/getting pished. Jericho decided to dispute that on Twitter. He was a witness to it all and has never signed an NDA in his life.

This led to a Christmas Day back and forth between Jericho and the lawyer. More significantly, Nick Hausman (a journalist seen as CM Punk's mouthpiece) asks Jericho on Twitter. "What about the NDAs you make other people sign?"

Hausman would also do a podcast where he compared Jericho to Harvey Weinstein. In that there's stuff we don't know about that will come out one day.

This had the internet go digging. They returned to Kylie Rae's departure from AEW back in 2019. She only worked one show. Quit just before the second and was seen as someone the company would build the Women's division around. It was a real surprise at the time. She has admitted to mental health and drinking problem. Which has allowed people to speculate the bigger spotlight was to much for her. The Jericho story was out back then. He invited her back to his hotel room under the pretence other people would be there. Turned out to be just be the two of them. Its two versions of events at that point and neither one has said anything publicly. Leaving the internet to fill in the blanks with all possible versions. She's the one person named by people as someone either assaulted by Jericho or a victim of him abusing his position of power. Then prevented from talking about it due to an NDA.

For some this is seen as the tip of the iceberg, there's more than one such story. They're all just in NDAs or not willing to talk about someone so high profile. Which is why there are no other names.

On the Jericho side it was a misunderstanding or he tried it on and got turned down. There are no other names because they don't exist.

Leaving Kylie Rae caught in the middle of it all. Possibly hampered by an NDA with Jericho or AEW. She hasn't said anything. She responded to a tweet with a heart emoji and liked some other tweets. 

For AEW/Tony Khan this means there are questions over what was known at the time of Kylie Rae's departure, and if there have been any accusations made during Jericho's time in the company. Basically, how complicit are they in any cover-up.

For added context, the tweet she heart emoji'd, which despite her actually saying nothing, more or less confirms her sentiment towards Jericho and the situation.

Screenshot_20240101_100613_X.thumb.jpg.246078b897769e496b5130a8e6ca7b74.jpg

The funny part is that the first site to say that Ace Steel's wife was the only one without an NDA and the one he took issue with was WebIsJericho, Jericho's own fucking website! After that, Punk's lawyer interjected and Jericho went off on him.

Wild to think that this whole thing wouldn't have reared it's head if Jericho, at 4am on Xmas morning no less, had not drunkenly replied to the initial comment that his own website published. He has quite literally brought this all into the public eye by his own hand.

19 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Thanks a lot for that. Interesting, yet sadly depressing, reading. 

Eta, I just watched Tony Khan’s answer on this from the press scrum where he’s dressed in a wig and comedy glasses. Seemed weak and ill judged at best. 

Edited by Londonwell

Ibushi vs Marafuji was utterly painful, depressing & sad to watch. A match that should never have been booked never mind going 33 minutes. Ibushi wound up in the hospital with what's believed to be further damage to his ankles likely resulting from landing awkwardly on a moonsault to the outside. Ibushi should not be in the ring at all in his current condition.

Edited by GNU_Linux

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Ibushi vs Marafuji was utterly painful, depressing & sad to watch. A match that should never have been booked never mind going 33 minutes. Ibushi wound up in the hospital with what's believed to be further damage to his ankles likely resulting from landing awkwardly on a moonsault to the outside. Ibushi should not be in the ring at all in his current condition.

He's looked awful this past year. He is rapidly approaching the dreaded "needs to be saved from himself" territory.

Darby is such an odd watch.  He seems like he'd be a proper c**t to spend any time with in real life, despite being a fan favourite and being really good in that role. But mostly, it's just abject fear watching him, because surely at some point he's going to run out of lives and get at least a serious injury.  There's only so far your opponent can go to protect you, and in a sport where it's literally inches between a great, safe spot and paralysis, he has gotten lucky so many times.  The knee on the outside looked brutal, in fact any time he comes out of the ring at pace, it looks brutal.  Is he just being saved by weighing as much as a bag of sugar?

Decent enough episode again, but a few questionable decisions on booking.  Looks like the Continental Classic has gone from being a more than decent tournament that they can run once a year to being a full-blown belt that gets defended, because...reasons, I guess.  Kingston now has three belts he should be actively defending, compounding a problem that AEW have always had.  

And another problem they often have is that they can't seem to let go of feuds.  Hangman/Swerve ended just about as perfectly as it could in one of the most brutal matches I've ever seen.  Yet they close out a New Year show with revisiting it.  Why?  He's got legitimate gripes with Joe and Cole, so it's not like there's nothing for him.  How are you supposed to top what they've already done?

It might be my new year back at work grumpiness but I watched the undisputed kingdom 'explanation' segment and was bored af. I get that it won't have gone as originally planned but deary me I couldn't have given less of a shit about Cole and his wee group.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

It might be my new year back at work grumpiness but I watched the undisputed kingdom 'explanation' segment and was bored af. I get that it won't have gone as originally planned but deary me I couldn't have given less of a shit about Cole and his wee group.

It's nothing without MJF also being there.  None of the elements of it are bad in any case, but the best one of the group isn't going to be ready for a long time.  Strong is good, but probably not someone you're getting super excited for.  Taven and Bennet are...there.  Wardlow has had any credibility he did have erased over the years, and he'd be a pretty underwhelming option to take the main title.  Particularly if all you're doing is rehashing the Christian/Luchasaurus storyline.

Injuries have fucked them massively.  Can't have MJF back because he'll likely be under the knife soon.  Can't have Cole actually advance much because his ankle's fucked.  And can't really have them just drift into the background because it's supposed to be your flagship story.  If they can get Cole and MJF back and healthy enough to at least blow off that part, it'll be relevant again.

Cole does look wonderful in all black though, so that's something.

Not sure about Sting's last match being him and Darby vs The Bucks. Was hoping for something like Hobbs vs Sting and Hobbs getting the rub for 'retiring' Sting.

The match will probably be great but was hoping it would have been used to elevate someone. I suppose it confirms that Sting can't really have a singles match any longer.

Edit: Actually just seen that he's said, multiple times, that he doesn't want to do singles matches any longer!

Also, apparently Sting got to pick his opponent(s), so this is his shout.

P.S. I did chuckle at how ridiculous The Bucks looked. They're great at looking like absolute knobs when being heel.

Edited by DA Baracus

I was convinced that Sting was going to name Darby as his opponent before the Bucks music hit.

The Bucks are at their best when they are obnoxious heels, so this should be a very entertaining build up. Flair is definitely taking a Meltzer Driver at some point between now and March.

If it's anywhere near as good as the Forbidden Door trios match then I'm sold.

I really hope they do the HBK Vs Flair 'I love you' spot but Sting either no sells it or kicks out at 1.

All in all thought it was another really good episode of dynamite with the only real down for me being continued Jericho involvement. Hoping he gets written off for a while after Saturday because I am sick of him.

"Here Tony, I've got a great idea.  'ken how everybody loves Judas but hates me?  Just play Judas ALL THE TIME!"

Think that speaks volumes about how Jericho sees himself.  Would be the easiest thing in the world to film some write-off for him, particularly with Omega down too.  But not only is he forcing himself onto TV, but just constantly trying to brush away the fact that a lot of people are just tired of seeing him, and a fair few of them will be outright hostile.  

3 hours ago, forameus said:

"Here Tony, I've got a great idea.  'ken how everybody loves Judas but hates me?  Just play Judas ALL THE TIME!"

Think that speaks volumes about how Jericho sees himself.  Would be the easiest thing in the world to film some write-off for him, particularly with Omega down too.  But not only is he forcing himself onto TV, but just constantly trying to brush away the fact that a lot of people are just tired of seeing him, and a fair few of them will be outright hostile.  

Aye, even if there weren't allegations he needs to f**k off for a bit. He's so stale and isn't bringing anything or doing anything interesting. A (lenghty) spell away would be best

The Bucks hadn’t actually crossed my mind as being their opponents but I think it’ll be a great fit. You want him to go out with a great match, and they’re about as good as anyone at taking teams to one. 

I thought JR sounded great again last night too. He’s got his mojo back.

I tried to understand the logic of that statement replied to when it's relating to pre-determined fighty soap operas, and I got a nosebleed and had to lie down.

I'd say the big moon-faced c**t would do the same, but I expect that type probably thinks it's brilliant he got dressed down online.

Edited by forameus

Thought that was a great Dynamite, most I’ve enjoyed it in a while. Hook/Joe was everything it needed to be, and there’s a good few interesting options for him now. 

The Briscoe segment nearly had me in tears. Lovely moment.