Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

39 minutes ago, Johnny Worm said:

If the pyramid was in place the last time Fluffy was in charge we’d already be in the Lowland League

In his last stint Duffy took over a woeful team in February 2011 and we finished bottom of the league. He can’t really be blamed there.

In his first full season we finished 9th. In his second full season we finished 9th however Rangers were in the league and we were 9 points off the playoffs in a tight league and he added to the point tally from the previous season. In his third full season he had us finish 4th, lost the playoff semi on penalty kicks and had put together a solid defence with 2 team of the seasons cbs, and had 2 good youth prospects in Scott Ferguson and Fraser McGhee in the team. 

We were on an absolute shoestring budget then and he provided progress every season he was there and left us with a team that had finished in the playoffs. That Ferguson blew up and nearly got us relegated. 

If you want to criticise Duffy then go for it but no need to make up things to get your point over. Again I understand he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and some Clyde fans just don’t like him because they don’t like him. As I said before he isn’t some charlatan like Ferguson or John Brown , he has had a great career and knows football and this level very well. Why not give him a chance? 

Complaints over Duffy's management are very valid, but how would his job since coming in have been perceived if he had kept us up? I think it would be regarded very differently by most folk. While that is natural, we competed pretty well with Annan in the main with a spate of key players out injured and, though you can point to the mad decision to start Doherty against Montrose as potentially having a bit of a domino effect, he took us from thinking we were completely and utterly stuffed to giving us all some justifiable hope about our prospects going into and then during the play-offs.

That's not to say I am some great Jim Duffy fan or think that he did a tremendous - or even good - job, but it's not like he was some rip-roaring failure either given the mess he inherited. A good few players came on under his charge, he brought in a couple who made a difference (and some jobbers, of course) and we weren't quite as bad. The football was, of course, largely awful and I would not have necessarily wanted him in the hot seat going into next season, but I think having him there as DoF is a fairly smart move if we end up going down the road of someone less experienced. Given his laid-back demeanour he really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will be overly hands-on, and will be a decent sounding board for whoever it is we appoint. If it all does go completely to pot under "new man" then we've got someone there who will likely steady the ship (albeit in incredibly dour fashion) and who already has a working knowledge of the squad. He'll have a big old book of contacts as well which could come in handy in terms of assembling a cheap and cheerful squad, and it is a football man on a board which is often pilloried by its detractors for a lack of footballing nous.

Let the fun and games begin! #DoFfyball

8 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

In his last stint Duffy took over a woeful team in February 2011 and we finished bottom of the league. He can’t really be blamed there.

In his first full season we finished 9th. In his second full season we finished 9th however Rangers were in the league and we were 9 points off the playoffs in a tight league and he added to the point tally from the previous season. In his third full season he had us finish 4th, lost the playoff semi on penalty kicks and had put together a solid defence with 2 team of the seasons cbs, and had 2 good youth prospects in Scott Ferguson and Fraser McGhee in the team. 

We were on an absolute shoestring budget then and he provided progress every season he was there and left us with a team that had finished in the playoffs. That Ferguson blew up and nearly got us relegated. 

If you want to criticise Duffy then go for it but no need to make up things to get your point over. Again I understand he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and some Clyde fans just don’t like him because they don’t like him. As I said before he isn’t some charlatan like Ferguson or John Brown , he has had a great career and knows football and this level very well. Why not give him a chance? 

Fair do's - not making things up though - it's a counter-factual! 😂 No arguing with what he's achieved - but is it going to be enough going forward? No particular axe to grind with Duffy BTW - again it's all dependent on head coach appointment and recruitment. We'll find out in 12 months time

26 minutes ago, Johnny Worm said:

Fair do's - not making things up though - it's a counter-factual! 😂 No arguing with what he's achieved - but is it going to be enough going forward? No particular axe to grind with Duffy BTW - again it's all dependent on head coach appointment and recruitment. We'll find out in 12 months time

I will reserve Judgement on Duffy in his DOF role until he has actually done something  and as you are very right in saying, he will be judged on recruitment and staff appointment. if it all goes wrong then I’ll be the first to criticise and vocalise where it’s due. 

In his first stint he had actually brought in a lot of players ranging in the decent to really good range and of course alot of dross. Folk are left with a bad taste because the football wasn’t great and that combined with poor performances is always going to stick in folks mind. If we had played open free flowing attacking football and he achieved the same he would be regarded in much better light in some fans eyes. It’s just the way things are in football unfortunately 

A lot of people wanted Diamond and Corr gone and some football minded people  to run the football side of things to curtail the board, which we got but people still aren’t happy. 

The next few weeks will be the making or breaking. Of Duffys time. He’s in a difficult position with fans already on his back. Folk seem more angry at him for the position we are in  than they are at Danny Lennon  which is wild to me 

Edited by Ocelot1877

With Duffy as manager, it’s difficult to see any plan or tactics during the game, his idea of a good player is how high or how far he can kick the ball, he just stands watching long ball after long ball getting returned straight away, defenders must love playing against us.

Out of interest - who are our picks for managerial candidates?

Not entirely against McLean, but he's never managed before so he's not my first choice. It would be interesting to see if we approach someone like Gordon Moffat at Clydebank. Not sure there's too much else he can do with the Bankies - admittedly 4th place isn't a great finish but I feel like over the piece he's certainly proved to be capable of the step up.

Moffat would be my choice also to be honest but think it’s pure fantasy atm. Young and experienced manager,  knows a level of the game we should be operating better in and could lean on Duffy so the step up doesn’t seem too much. Maybe Martin Lauchlan would be interested but I’m not convinced on him

Would be interested to see what happens with Rankin at Accies, however I imagine if he was going then it would have happened by now. 

Outside of that I imagine the usual suspects would apply- folk in the Peter Grant or the Kevin Rutkiewicz mold maybe. 

Think it will be a rookie manager that we appoint and I think it will be McLean

Edited by Ocelot1877

It doesn’t really matter what you think, or anyone else thinks for that matter. A decision by our elected Board has been taken to absolve themselves from all football decisions and allow a manager with a dreadful win ratio over his two spells at the Club to make all the decisions.

Our only topic of conversation should be whether or not we continue being treated like this whilst the Club make ludicrous statements like this as they try to encourage owners to sign up to the “most transparent Club in Scotland”.

Do they even consider for a second how this reads.

“OWNERSHIP & DONATIONS

Clyde Football Club is 100% fan owned.

The club is democratically run, with a one-member-one-vote policy on the big decisions and the election of directors who run the club, voluntarily, day to day.

By becoming an owner, you will have an equal say in the future of the club at one of the most pivotal points in our history.”

Do owners feel they have an equal say?  Doubtful. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

It doesn’t really matter what you think, or anyone else thinks for that matter. A decision by our elected Board has been taken to absolve themselves from all football decisions and allow a manager with a dreadful win ratio over his two spells at the Club to make all the decisions.

Our only topic of conversation should be whether or not we continue being treated like this whilst the Club make ludicrous statements like this as they try to encourage owners to sign up to the “most transparent Club in Scotland”.

“OWNERSHIP & DONATIONS

The club is democratically run, with a one-member-one-vote policy on the big decisions and the election of directors who run the club, voluntarily, day to day.

By becoming an owner, you will have an equal say in the future of the club at one of the most pivotal points in our history.”

I didn't feel I was an equal owner, so decided to support, financially, in other ways.  Like soo much about the Club the ownership feels like it doesn't fit well now.

12 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

“OWNERSHIP & DONATIONS

If you really want to get rid of the board and try and spark some change then you should probably speak to some of the bigger fan groups like the Glasgow Branch or owners of the club to see if you can garner support to trigger an EGM or even see if you can get the ball rolling with suitable candidates to volunteer and replace what we have and use the owner system to vote out what we have. 

Do you have any other ideas? 

32 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

If you really want to get rid of the board and try and spark some change then you should probably speak to some of the bigger fan groups like the Glasgow Branch or owners of the club to see if you can garner support to trigger an EGM or even see if you can get the ball rolling with suitable candidates to volunteer and replace what we have and use the owner system to vote out what we have. 

Do you have any other ideas? 

Fresh out of ideas sadly. Does that mean I’m not allowed to comment? 

1 hour ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Moffat would be my choice also to be honest but think it’s pure fantasy atm.

Agreed. He seems sensible, and drinking from a chalice that’s so obviously poisoned doesn’t seem like it would be a wise move. 

I don’t really want it to be McLean, but knowing Clyde, appointing him would make the most sense. I just hope we don’t rush into appointing him without at least seeing who applies first.