Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

That was a good result for Rangers. Listened to the commentary on Sportsound - atrociously biased, and as for the studio summariser, Kenny Miller...

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That was a good result for Rangers. Listened to the commentary on Sportsound - atrociously biased, and as for the studio summariser, Kenny Miller...

It's a Scottish broadcaster, covering a Scottish team in European competition... away from home. I'd find it strange if they weren't biased.

5 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

It's a Scottish broadcaster, covering a Scottish team in European competition... away from home. I'd find it strange if they weren't biased.

There's biased and atrociously biased...

11 hours ago, bennett said:

The best one was when the Scottish media dubbed Valencia the Aberdeen of Spain.

Valencia try harder against Rangers than anyone else?

10 hours ago, The Equalizer said:

I remember Bill McLaren the rugby commentator being unbiased in match commentary during Scotland games. 

It is possible and preferable.

The BBC tries too hard to compete with the commercial broadcasters these days.

On 08/03/2024 at 01:06, alta-pete said:

You seem remarkably eloquent for a chap who started on the Don Revie at half three? 

Have you been on the beevy, Pete?  😁

If that's an accepted rhyming slang, apologies, but I've never heard it before. 

11 hours ago, The Equalizer said:

What in particular did you find 'atrociously biased'? I'm genuinely curious. 

Kenny Miller might as well have been singing "Follow, Follow".

The actual commentary team were just a bit over the top I thought.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Grandma

39 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Kenny Miller might have well as been singing "Follow, Follow".

His Sky co-commentary on the Rangers/Aberdeen match a few weeks back, would not have been out of place on Rangers TV. The fan, sorry man, can't help himself. He should be nowhere near a national broadcaster.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

They never cater for a huge proportion of the audience who want them to get gubbed. 

On 08/03/2024 at 22:31, cyderspaceman said:

I remember Bill McLaren the rugby commentator being unbiased in match commentary during Scotland games. 

It is possible and preferable.

The BBC tries too hard to compete with the commercial broadcasters these days.

On 09/03/2024 at 01:09, Jacksgranda said:

I don't mind broadcasters unashamedly aligning themselves with a team as long as they can be objective about actual incidents on the park. That's where I draw the line. That's why if I have to watch a game on Rangers TV, I do it with the sound down.

Michael Stewart being a good example yesterday. We all know you hate us Michael, but at least be able to know a clear penalty when you see one.

Hate the fact we’re on earlier today, hate the fact we’re reliant on three or four passing late fitness tests,

love the fact the camera’s back in the club deck,

hope to f**k we get a chance to see it bouncing at 90 minutes.

On 07/03/2024 at 14:49, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah, yeah, football stuff.

There was a very important question there re drinking.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My arse is twitching like a rabbits nose. 

5:45 KO. Will need to factor this into my drinking time and maybe start about 10am. 

Hi Kincardine

Clement mentioned Cantwell will be back in the squad but not fit enough to start yet. McCausland will be a late call to see if he is involved with Sterling definitely missing out after their knocks on Wednesday.

Means we don't really have much choice other than to go with Silva on the left, Dessers through the middle and Matondo on the right if McCausland doesn't make it.

Lundstram, Diomande and Lawrence seems like it'll be his preferred midfield three with the same back 4 as the last 2 games.

Reckon we will need another big performance from Butland to get through.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Clement mentioned Cantwell will be back in the squad but not fit enough to start yet. McCausland will be a late call to see if he is involved with Sterling definitely missing out after their knocks on Wednesday.

Means we don't really have much choice other than to go with Silva on the left, Dessers through the middle and Matondo on the right if McCausland doesn't make it.

Lundstram, Diomande and Lawrence seems like it'll be his preferred midfield three with the same back 4 as the last 2 games.

Reckon we will need another big performance from Butland to get through.

My fear this season is that the squad just runs out of steam.  When the Beale left, I'd have thought you were certifiable if you'd said come mid March we would still be very much in the hunt for four trophies, but the sheer volume of injuries and number of games does make me wonder when the squad will just hit a wall.

Obviously I want us to progress tonight, but there is a very small part of me that knows that going out might not be the worst thing to happen.  The flip side of that is you don't know how the team will react to going out and it could have a detrimental effect on the rest of the domestic season.

If we can get to the international break without anymore injuries, I just hope that some of the missing players might start making it back.

57 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My fear this season is that the squad just runs out of steam.  When the Beale left, I'd have thought you were certifiable if you'd said come mid March we would still be very much in the hunt for four trophies, but the sheer volume of injuries and number of games does make me wonder when the squad will just hit a wall.

Obviously I want us to progress tonight, but there is a very small part of me that knows that going out might not be the worst thing to happen.  The flip side of that is you don't know how the team will react to going out and it could have a detrimental effect on the rest of the domestic season.

If we can get to the international break without anymore injuries, I just hope that some of the missing players might start making it back.

Aye, I have the same concerns. Although it was interesting to hear Clement's comments yesterday where he said that dealing with injuries was a strength of this team.

While that may be the case under his management thus far, it'll only last so long and we really need to get to the bottom of why we pick up so many knocks and injuries.

He said when he arrived that they had identified the issue (I'm assuming it was to do with training) but since then we haven't really seen any improvement.