Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

A pleasing win and glad to see us dig out a result after falling behind twice.

Priority now has to be the league and we should be looking at resting some key players v Lech Poznan.

Whether you finish top or second you’re going to get a decent team in the next round regardless.

A very strange game to be honest - thought we were really poor at times but a lot of character shown.

Last year we finished 2nd but got an easier draw than Porto did. It does mean potentially avoiding Real Madrid if we win though.

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

A pleasing win and glad to see us dig out a result after falling behind twice.

Priority now has to be the league and we should be looking at resting some key players v Lech Poznan.

Whether you finish top or second you’re going to get a decent team in the next round regardless.

Gerrard pretty much said he was going to do this in the post-match interview.

Would expect to see McLaughlin, Bassey, Patterson, Zungu, Jack, Itten. Hopefully Dickson gets on too, he showed enough in his run out on Sunday to get some minutes.

50 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Loving the use of a yard as a unit of time emoji23.png
As in “he went a yard early there”.

Always the case such as, "He's lost a half-yard of pace".  It's football commentary  - not a New Scientist monograph.

Anyway, that was the apotheosis of 'a game lasts 90 minutes'.  2-2 at HT flattered us but, by the end, 5-2 would have been a fair result.  We also looked much fitter in the last 10 minutes than our big Belgian pals.

That was a 10 roll-ups first half but, by the final whistle, I was hoping the game could go on longer.

A thoroughly professional performance by us.

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Always the case such as, "He's lost a half-yard of pace".  It's football commentary  - not a New Scientist monograph.

Anyway, that was the apotheosis of 'a game lasts 90 minutes'.  2-2 at HT flattered us but, by the end, 5-2 would have been a fair result.  We also looked much fitter in the last 10 minutes than our big Belgian pals.

That was a 10 roll-ups first half but, by the final whistle, I was hoping the game could go on longer.

A thoroughly professional performance by us.

Yep I get that. 

Just as easy to say he's gone a fraction of a second early. It amuses me rather than bothers me. Certainly doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, to move on I thought Rangers did well tonight. Difficult first half where in all honesty as you suggest they were fortunate to be level at HT but well deserved victory overall.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

54 minutes ago, G51 said:

That's the game.

Really interesting from our perspective. Liege surprised us with the 3-4-3 and it took us 35 minutes to make anything of it. The adjustments at half-time and the switch to 4-4-2 swung the game in our favour, and as soon as we went in front there was only going to be one outcome.

Shows just how important the pre-match preparation is for us, and how important it is to have guys like Beale and Culshaw who know how to fix these things. We went to a formation we haven't played all season and were miles the better team.

Our 4-3-3 set up was definitely found out by a team playing deft and fast football and much of the first half was a bit embarrassing to be honest.

Over the whole game, though?  We deserved the win.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Our 4-3-3 set up was definitely found out by a team playing deft and fast football and much of the first half was a bit embarrassing to be honest.

Over the whole game, though?  We deserved the win.

I think it was more that we expected them to play 3-5-2 - that's the formation they've played all season, including against us. To go 3-4-3 was a proper curveball, and fair fucks to them for doing it. We didn't really know how to deal with it at the start but we eventually worked it out. And once we did it was comfortable.

We definitely deserved the win overall. They did nothing in the second half.

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Anyway, to move on I thought Rangers did well tonight. Difficult first half where in all honesty they were IMHO fortunate to be level at HT but well deserved victory overall.

Good summary and the Tav penalty let us off the hook - possibly undeserved.

The last half hour, though, was pretty impressive.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

I think it was more that we expected them to play 3-5-2 - that's the formation they've played all season, including against us. To go 3-4-3 was a proper curveball, and fair fucks to them for doing it.

Formation is one factor.  That they had nippy, pacey wee fuckers to execute said formation is what made it work and they executed it well.  

Thank f**k we only played Standard Liege.  Had we played Grande Liege it may have been a different matter...

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

If Rangers and Benfica are tied atop the group who has the tiebreaker?

Your big new Scottish team - The Rangers of Glasgow.

If we and Benfica match each others' results (win,lose or draw) next week then we top the group by dint of our better head-to-head - with us having scored three away goals vs them scoring (only) two in Glasgow.

Pleased to see you're following us...

High stakes on Thursday as I believe winning the game and, thus, winning the group nets us £1.5M.

Not sure it necessarily makes it an easier draw for the Last 32 round as we could well face much better-fancied opponents whichever side of the draw we're in.

I expect us to field a strong team, though.

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

High stakes on Thursday as I believe winning the game and, thus, winning the group nets us £1.5M.

Not sure it necessarily makes it an easier draw for the Last 32 round as we could well face much better-fancied opponents whichever side of the draw we're in.

I expect us to field a strong team, though.

The extra cash alone is why I think y'all should go for it and play your strongest 11. Hard to find another scenario where one game nets you that many pounds.

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

The extra cash alone is why I think y'all should go for it and play your strongest 11. Hard to find another scenario where one game nets you that many pounds.

Agreed - and we know Stevie G reads these threads so I expect him to follow our advice...