Celtic in Europe 2019-20

The OP

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Celtic fans are always saying how it is unfair that national champions like themselves have to qualify, so if we go with that logic then they would be playing sides like this mob tonight in the group stages, never mind qualifying stage. 

Results like this should show them exactly why they should have to qualify every year, to ensure that the only league champions that make it are the ones of an acceptable standard.

So you think the ‘closed shop’ approach is correct ?

UEFA might as well just make it invite only as I’m sure that will happen soon anyway.

Nomme Kalju should be there as they are league champions of their country last year and they qualified for the seconds qualifying round because they won their first round tie against the Macedonian League champions.   I'm of the age when it was only league champions and last years winners could enter and it was a straight forward draw where all in and anyone could win.

The champions league now helps the bigger countries with the bigger teams and makes it harder for the underdog to get through.  Leaves a bad taste but it is what it is and in Scotland we need to deal with it and hope all our results get better and better and thus in a few years times our teams may miss the earlier rounds

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Celtic fans are always saying how it is unfair that national champions like themselves have to qualify, so if we go with that logic then they would be playing sides like this mob tonight in the group stages, never mind qualifying stage. 

Results like this should show them exactly why they should have to qualify every year, to ensure that the only league champions that make it are the ones of an acceptable standard.

Given there are about 55 ‘top’ leagues in Uefas league coefficient it isn't plausible really to have every champion in it however guaranteeing   the champions of the first 15 isn't too ridiculous . This would still leave us to qualify I know.

18 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

The champions league now helps the bigger countries with the bigger teams and makes it harder for the underdog to get through.  Leaves a bad taste but it is what it is and in Scotland we need to deal with it and hope all our results get better and better and thus in a few years times our teams may miss the earlier rounds

I would agree, which is why Grangemouth Bairn's point is completely hypocritical. You can't on one hand complain the competition is weighted in favour of the bigger teams, but then on the other say it is a joke that Celtic have to waste their time playing sides like tonight.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I would agree, which is why Grangemouth Bairn's point is completely hypocritical. You can't on one hand complain the competition is weighted in favour of the bigger teams, but then on the other say it is a joke that Celtic have to waste their team playing sides like tonight.

Its not a joke that Celtic have to play these teams, its our coefficiency that is crap for our country, thus Celtic are in the rounds and I'm sure it was only about 5 years ago that our nation has two teams in the rounds with one getting to the group stage straight away. As a country we need to do better, nationally and at club level in Europe but as someone said this is a good pre season warm up games.

I wonder if Celtic won the European champions league this year, would Celtic if they won the league go straight into the group stages, I bet they wouldn't as Scotland isn't considered as a big nation for football in Europe, crap I know but we are where we are and have to deal with the cards dealt :-((

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I would agree, which is why Grangemouth Bairn's point is completely hypocritical. You can't on one hand complain the competition is weighted in favour of the bigger teams, but then on the other say it is a joke that Celtic have to waste their team playing sides like tonight.

Yes you are right. Reading back through my 2 posts I’ve contradicted myself.

Apologies.

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Given there are about 55 ‘top’ leagues in Uefas league coefficient it isn't plausible really to have every champion in it however guaranteeing   the champions of the first 15 isn't too ridiculous . This would still leave us to qualify I know.

But if the whole point of changing it was to have a true 'Champions' league, you'd need at least one team from 32 nations. There would be some utter dross, Liechtenstein are currently number 32 for example. As I said, if people want this then fine, but they can't then complain when the majority of the games would be non-events. You'd have teams like Man City and Barcelona playing against that team tonight. 

The alternative is what we have, an elite competition where all champions get a shot at qualifying. Is the qualifying process perfect? Absolutely not, but for people to suggest that Celtic shouldn't have to face the champions of another country makes no sense.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

The Estonian invincible's deserve their place like any champions,the Bosnian champions where a better team but the Scots champions are better than them.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Liechtenstein are currently number 32 for example.

FC  Vaduz play in Switzerland so no champions league for them. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

But if the whole point of changing it was to have a true 'Champions' league, you'd need at least one team from 32 nations. There would be some utter dross, Liechtenstein are currently number 32 for example. As I said, if people want this then fine, but they can't then complain when the majority of the games would be non-events. You'd have teams like Man City and Barcelona playing against that team tonight. 

The alternative is what we have, an elite competition where all champions get a shot at qualifying. Is the qualifying process perfect? Absolutely not, but for people to suggest that Celtic shouldn't have to face the champions of another country in qualifying is ridiculous.

I dont think many are actually advocating that though. However say having half of the 32 as champions would be a decent spectacle though. It could also create a bit more interest in the Europa league as well eventually with the big clubs having to accept it as a formidable competition.

Edited by gannonball

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I dont think many are actually advocating that thought. However say having half of the 32 as champions would be a decent spectacle though. It could also create a bit more interest in the Europa league as well eventually with the big clubs having to accept it as a formidable competition.

There will be 15 champions out of the 32 in this system this year only 4 from the champions route.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I wonder if Celtic won the European champions league this year, would Celtic if they won the league go straight into the group stages, I bet they wouldn't as Scotland isn't considered as a big nation for football in Europe, crap I know but we are where we are and have to deal with the cards dealt :-((

The UCL holders have qualified for the group stage since 2006-07, do keep up.

Since the change to add a champions path in 2009-10, 17 or 18 champions have qualified to the group stage (plus one or two title holders in the last few years, if you count them as champions). That reduced to 15 last season with the changes to allow the top four leagues to have four places in the group stage.

Still better than the first decade of the century when only 10 champions automatically qualified and the rest had to compete with non-champions, so generally you had 14 or 15 champions qualify.

Anyway, for the sake of the coefficient let's hope Celtic don't take their foot off the gas and can go out and get another win next week.

Edited by Ginaro

Took this game in at 01:45 on my illegal stream last night, was not impressed by the standard of the Kulju (or whatever their name is).  Though Celtic passed about quite decent, but aqs said the opposition were not up to much.  Was impressed with Johnson when he came on, good goals all round with Griffiths free kick and Christies second the highlights. Still though a little wide open at the back, but understandable with a makeshift defense. Why was the new French boy not playing, thougfh it would be ideal for him to get game timne under hisa belt?

anyway, off to Georgia tonight at 23:45 and then back to Glasgow for 01:45, heavy going for us ex pats on Euro nights, keep up the good work.