Dundee United 2019/2020

11 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Hearing Sow is staying as well as May coming in.

Which suggests that Clark will be on the way out. Out of the three (Sow, May and Clark) I'd rather keep Clark. I think he's been under utilised by Neilson and would be a good foil for Shankland. May probably has the potential to come good but that seems like an unnecessary distraction when you've already got a guy at the club who can be relied upon to make a decent contribution without causing a fuss. If we were to start the season with Shankland, May and Sow then you're looking at integrating three new strikers all at once (granted Sow has been at the club for six months but I don't think anyone would argue that he's anywhere near settled into the team yet).

Clark has the benefit of being easy to shift, I suspect, on the basis that he's a proven player at this level and will be on a modest wage. Which is exactly why I'd rather we kept him.

Which suggests that Clark will be on the way out. Out of the three (Sow, May and Clark) I'd rather keep Clark. I think he's been under utilised by Neilson and would be a good foil for Shankland. May probably has the potential to come good but that seems like an unnecessary distraction when you've already got a guy at the club who can be relied upon to make a decent contribution without causing a fuss. If we were to start the season with Shankland, May and Sow then you're looking at integrating three new strikers all at once (granted Sow has been at the club for six months but I don't think anyone would argue that he's anywhere near settled into the team yet).
Clark has the benefit of being easy to shift, I suspect, on the basis that he's a proven player at this level and will be on a modest wage. Which is exactly why I'd rather we kept him.
Neilson would be an idiot to empty Clark.

3 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I was told this morning by someone with Ayr Utd that Shankland is on £5k a week at Tannandice.

Surely that can’t be right? Do you think the total of his deal, including a signing on fee, is possibly high enough that the first year makes him £250k and they’ve just worked the figure back from that? 

If there's any truth in the figure then it sounds like the second scenario rather than the first. Ayr apparently turned down a couple of hundred grand for him last year, which would make the opportunity cost for them pretty much the same. 

35 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Clark over May certainly. Would be foolish to let go of at least a 15 goal a season striker for someone with doubts over them. 

Tbf that's the typical United way the last few years! 

He’s not really a 15 goal a season striker is he. Remove his pens he got about 6 last season. Utilised properly or not that’s still pretty poor. There’s a reason he’s never had a crack at the top flight.

12 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

He’s not really a 15 goal a season striker is he. Remove his pens he got about 6 last season. Utilised properly or not that’s still pretty poor. There’s a reason he’s never had a crack at the top flight.

According to the internet he got 15 goals from 22 starts in all competitions last season. That's a very decent return for a guy who was in and out of the team.

Edit: 5 of those were penalties apparently. 

Edited by Pull My Strings

Why are you removing penalties? He still has to score it.....

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I was told this morning by someone with Ayr Utd that Shankland is on £5k a week at Tannandice.

Surely that can’t be right? Do you think the total of his deal, including a signing on fee, is possibly high enough that the first year makes him £250k and they’ve just worked the figure back from that? 

His signing on fee was supposed to be near £250k. There's plenty rumours doing the rounds of what his weekly wage is (£3500 seems to be the most consistent rumour.) 

I was told May has been offered that but I don't see how that can be the case, they must have offered Aberdeen that much of a contribution to his wage. 

If any of this is true, it's absolutely mental. 

Just now, Dele said:

His signing on fee was supposed to be near £250k. There's plenty rumours doing the rounds of what his weekly wage is (£3500 seems to be the most consistent rumour.) 

I was told May has been offered that but I don't see how that can be the case, they must have offered Aberdeen that much of a contribution to his wage. 

If any of this is true, it's absolutely mental. 

You've got to love rumours.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

You've got to love rumours.

Absolutely. Lord knows we had them circling for years (granted, they were true :lol:

Are you not worried where this is all coming from, even in the slightest? 

1 minute ago, Dele said:

Absolutely. Lord knows we had them circling for years (granted, they were true :lol:

Are you not worried where this is all coming from, even in the slightest? 

Nope. There's always a degree of exaggeration in these stories but either way it's not my money they're spending. 

If we are paying Shankland 5k p/w then that truly is a mental amount of money. Even if thats his signing on fee too. 

But football is a mental game and i sadly wouldnt be surprised. 

Also, throwing that money at him, or anyone, is pointless unless RN is going to start playing attacking football this season. 

Time will obviously tell.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

12 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nope. There's always a degree of exaggeration in these stories but either way it's not my money they're spending. 

Is the deficit being fully covered without any liabilities appearing on the balance sheet? That's the key question and it's what has protected Dundee in previous seasons despite not operating very well with the owners not actually having the capability of having the club taking on loans. There's a lot of vague mentions of 'loan finance' in the United accounts that seems to magically go down at points despite huge operating losses - there's definitely been some odd trading in the background.

I don't think United will go into admin as usually, that hurts the people running the club but I would be worried about the assets being removed by stealth - as has already happened with Gussie (and talk of that being traded back?). Admin is bad but if you lose ownership of the ground, that's something that can genuinely haunt the club for years - Dundee losing Dens really fucks the balance sheet and even moving to a new ground doesn't return any of that security.

4 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Is the deficit being fully covered without any liabilities appearing on the balance sheet? That's the key question and it's what has protected Dundee in previous seasons despite not operating very well with the owners not actually having the capability of having the club taking on loans. There's a lot of vague mentions of 'loan finance' in the United accounts that seems to magically go down at points despite huge operating losses - there's definitely been some odd trading in the background.

I don't think United will go into admin as usually, that hurts the people running the club but I would be worried about the assets being removed by stealth - as has already happened with Gussie (and talk of that being traded back?). Admin is bad but if you lose ownership of the ground, that's something that can genuinely haunt the club for years - Dundee losing Dens really fucks the balance sheet and even moving to a new ground doesn't return any of that security.

FFS, here we go again. If I had a penny for every time a Dee predicted the imminent financial collapse of United I'd be able to cover Shankland's ten grand a week wages out of my own pocket. Can we maybe shelve this bollocks until it actually happens. 

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

It has raised £35,000 so halfway there. Only 600 or so donations though, which given average gates and the overall fan base it is a pretty low number.

Edit - the 600 number doesn’t include offline donations to be fair so that number will be higher.

FFS - Can't Shankland just chip in a week's wages and get it done? 

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

FFS, here we go again. If I had a penny for every time a Dee predicted the imminent financial collapse of United I'd be able to cover Shankland's ten grand a week wages out of my own pocket. Can we maybe shelve this bollocks until it actually happens. 

I didn't think there were that many of us!