League Cup Group D

37 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

As for the League Cup Group Stage, I’m not a fan. It’s shite and I can see why they binned it first time around.

I like it apart from the penalty stuff.  If it's a draw then it's a draw. This bonus point carry on is needless.

20 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Thought Peterhead were absolutely awful, but heard they had a few injuries? 

We played well apart from one daft moment, played some lovely stuff at times. 

Although we have swapped players around in this starting a few without Rory he was a huge miss last night, we just could not get the ball to stick up front & allowed a team supposed to be short of confidence to walk through us nearly at will, we did not press & were poor all over the park. We did the work against Caley & Dundee maybe just run out of legs last night. Pity as although we were not going to be winning it Qualifying for the knockout rounds could have boosted the funds with a good draw.

25 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Clearly, if we won on Sunday (either in 90 mins or on pens) then we qualify as group winners. Can anyone work out how we stand if we lose (either in 90 mins or on pens) regarding best placed second team?

If we lose on pens to ICT, we finish with 8 Pts & +3 GD. If we lose in regulation, we finish with 7 Pts & ~+2 GD. I've tried to see what we want to cause the groups to have runners-up with the lowest points possible. Probably wrong, but whatever.

Group A:

We want Hearts to beat East Fife. If in regulation, Utd are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD. If on pens, EF are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD. - Quite possible.

Group B:

We want Forfar to lose to St Johnstone. If in regulation, either Forfar, St. J or Montrose are 2nd with 6 Pts. If on pens, Forfar are 2nd with 7 Pts & +4 GD. - Quite possible.

Group C:

We want Alloa to beat Arbroath in regulation (Alloa are 2nd with 7 Pts & ~0 GD) or Arbroath to beat Alloa on pens (Arbroath are 2nd with 7 Pts & +3). Also want Hibs to beat Elgin. Fairly possible.

Group E:

We want QoS to beat Morton on pens (Morton are 2nd with 7 Pts & +6 GD) - Difficult.

Group F:

We want Airdrie to beat Accies on pens (Accies are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD) - Very difficult.

Group G:

We want Stranraer to beat Ayr in regulation (Falkirk are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD) - Difficult.

Group H:

Highest 2nd place can get is 7 Pts (Albion Rovers with 7 Pts & ~-4 GD) - Free Parking.

So long as 3 of these happen + Group H, we're definitely through with a loss on pens. I wouldn't want to risk a regulation loss though.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

If we lose on pens to ICT, we finish with 8 Pts & +3 GD. If we lose in regulation, we finish with 7 Pts & ~+2 GD. I've tried to see what we want to cause the groups to have runners-up with the lowest points possible. Probably wrong, but whatever.

Group A:
We want Hearts to beat East Fife. If in regulation, Utd are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD. If on pens, EF are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD. - Quite possible.
Group B:
We want Forfar to lose to St Johnstone. If in regulation, either Forfar, St. J or Montrose are 2nd with 6 Pts. If on pens, Forfar are 2nd with 7 Pts & +4 GD. - Quite possible.
Group C:
We want Alloa to beat Arbroath in regulation (Alloa are 2nd with 7 Pts & ~0 GD) or Arbroath to beat Alloa on pens (Arbroath are 2nd with 7 Pts & +3). Also want Hibs to beat Elgin. Fairly possible.
Group E:
We want QoS to beat Morton on pens (Morton are 2nd with 7 Pts & +6 GD) - Difficult.
Group F:
We want Airdrie to beat Accies on pens (Accies are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD) - Very difficult.
Group G:
We want Stranraer to beat Ayr in regulation (Falkirk are 2nd with 7 Pts & +2 GD) - Difficult.
Group H:
Highest 2nd place can get is 7 Pts (Albion Rovers with 7 Pts & ~-4 GD) - Free Parking.

So long as 3 of these happen + Group H, we're definitely through with a loss on pens. I wouldn't want to risk a regulation loss though.

How do they decide who goes through if the points and GD are the same?

image.png.c46b0e8b5df2eb6b9b489596f186451b.png
Hence why I don't want to think about us losing in regulation.

Can we not just have a wee conversation between us to agree on a draw in 90 mins, which would have us both through? Then have a penalty shootout for the top spot.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

Can we not just have a wee conversation between us to agree on a draw in 90 mins, which would have us both through? Then have a penalty shootout for the top spot.

A 'Disgrace of Dundee', if you will?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Exactly what I wanna see on Sunday:

With all the other games that matter for qualification being played on the Saturday, if results go our way, we could actually be in this situation.

16 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Group A:

Group B:

Group C:

Group E:

Group F:

Group G:

Group H:

Thanks for that. Like you say, losing in regulation would be dicey, but we should know pretty much all the results before we kick off too (there is one other game on Sunday, I believe).

2 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Thanks for that. Like you say, losing in regulation would be dicey, but we should know pretty much all the results before we kick off too (there is one other game on Sunday, I believe).

Queens Park vs Clyde, both already eliminated.

On 24/07/2019 at 11:20, Scary Bear said:

As for the League Cup Group Stage, I’m not a fan. It’s shite and I can see why they binned it first time around.

How's it worse than the old competition? Teams are guaranteed four matches in the competition instead of the usual one and even if they don't qualify it can be used as pre-season.

The penalties after a draw is a bit daft but harmless. It's streets ahead of the abysmal Challenge Cup.

How's it worse than the old competition? Teams are guaranteed four matches in the competition instead of the usual one and even if they don't qualify it can be used as pre-season.
The penalties after a draw is a bit daft but harmless. It's streets ahead of the abysmal Challenge Cup.

Both are utter shite tournaments. The only good thing about the LC is the ‘competitive pre-season’ effect. It’s still complete shite though and kills any chance of giant killings or cup runs for the majority of teams. Most fans don’t even care about it now.

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Both are utter shite tournaments. The only good thing about the LC is the ‘competitive pre-season’ effect. It’s still complete shite though and kills any chance of giant killings or cup runs for the majority of teams. Most fans don’t even care about it now.

I see, then that will explain why there's only over 180 pages of posts on the group stages.

4 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Well considering there are 40 teams, I wouldn’t say that’s too many tbh. Only fans as a whole I’ve seen take it really seriously are some lower league teams and Dundee fans.

I'd suggest looking at threads about other groups then, not just this one.