League Cup Group D

Went up to Balmoral. Good performance from Cove. Three good goals and Glass looks like he'll be a big player for them this season. Just under 800 there, no Dons game and the sunshine helped I guess.

A Peterhead team without it's better defender and a striker who will be one of the best in the league. Don't kid yourself Hank.

We beat Peterhead - a team in our league - at an absolute canter not a week ago. No one was saying “I can see it being a great, great season”. Aw c**t settle the f**k doon. 

On 26/07/2019 at 11:23, Tarmo Kink said:

I never said the previous one was better, it shouldn’t have been seeded. There will always be more chance of a ‘giant killing’ over 1 game than 4 games.

The penalty bonus point and the fact that over half of the teams are out in July just kills the interest for me and a lot of fans. You can see the same applies to a lot of managers who use it as a rotation/pre-season tournament. The Portuguese version of the tournament has a group stage much later.

" The penalty bonus point and the fact that over half of the teams are out in July just kills the interest for me and a lot of fans "

If it is a straight knock out, after one round 50% of teams are out, that is one game they have had.  After round two another 25% are out, so I don't get your argument?  At least in the league format, teams are guaranteed 4 games and one game doesn't end their hopes.  The penalty shoot outs give more entertainment for your money.  The truth is that the fans of teams that get put out at the group stage, are just making excuses for their teams poor showing.  In all likelihood, their teams interest in the League Cup would still end in July, or whenever the first round date is.

" The penalty bonus point and the fact that over half of the teams are out in July just kills the interest for me and a lot of fans "

If it is a straight knock out, after one round 50% of teams are out, that is one game they have had.  After round two another 25% are out, so I don't get your argument?  At least in the league format, teams are guaranteed 4 games and one game doesn't end their hopes.  The penalty shoot outs give more entertainment for your money.  The truth is that the fans of teams that get put out at the group stage, are just making excuses for their teams poor showing.  In all likelihood, their teams interest in the League Cup would still end in July, or whenever the first round date is.

Not every team entered the old first round though. This time everyone apart from 4 teams do.

Guest DAVIDB69

Seems a bit of a farcical end with Dundee and inverness playing a tame draw to both go through.

Very Germany v Austria Spain 82

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

A Peterhead team without it's better defender and a striker who will be one of the best in the league. Don't kid yourself Hank.

A team without its best striker? Like us? 

So we all agree that both sides are too inept to manage a ‘convincing’ draw? Can’t wait to see if it’s Meekings or Vincent that ruins it for us both...

On 26/07/2019 at 12:21, Double Jack D said:

I'd keep the league format but ditch the penalties in favour of a bonus point for scoring 4 or more goals.

Id also do away with any seeding, either geographical or status. Make it truly random so that there is a real chance of playing different teams.

The geographical thing is a curious one - eventually you're going to get the same handful of 1st seeds awaiting you in the draw every season. If there was no North/South divide they could sort out the fixtures by having the longest journeys on the Saturdays. The flipside is that the current system can throw up more local derbies.